PDA

View Full Version : Trailer licensed

WazOz
10th Jul 2008, 04:55 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Hallelujah passed the inspection, got the plates. all good. Many thanks to Yonee for all the help.
Cheers
Waz

ozkiwi
11th Jul 2008, 08:44 AM
How about showing us all a piccie of the finished project?

How long did it take to make and have you worked out a cost to complete yet?

I'll bet you are feeling pretty proud of yourself right now..

And so you should be.

Cheers

Steve

WazOz
12th Jul 2008, 05:23 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/define2005/100_0347.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/define2005/100_0346.jpg

Hi again, hopefully the pics work, dark patches on the rear are rust treatment for the latches, bit of degreaser and like new.
Cost would be around $500, which would be everything, welding wire, bits and pieces like chain, lights wiring, and rust treatment for underneath and anywhere that it may be at risk of rusting. Could have easily bought a 2nd hand one for this, but would be a rust bucket:no:, last around 3yrs:((, materials some trailer builders use over here are thin, whereas a ute tray will be here even when I am gone.
Tyres and rims $155
Axle, springs and fittings $299
Time, was in no hurry, but when I got the axle and to completion around 3 weeks, working only a few hrs a day, got a stuffed spine, had to take it easy. Am very happy with how it turned out, most difficult sections Yonee helped me through, as I have never attempted anything like this before.
Cheers
Waz

Grahame Collins
13th Jul 2008, 11:39 AM
Well done Sir !
Grahame

ozkiwi
13th Jul 2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Great job, so you started with a Ute body and then made the rest?

I started mine from nothing but some free plans online and my trusty little DueMig that recently blew it's main transformer. Now I have to save up to buy a new one..

Anyway here a picture of my trailer as I'm proud of my completed project as well..

http://www.painworld.zip.com.au/tmp/trailer.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Yonnee
14th Jul 2008, 12:03 AM
Anytime Waz.

You were nearly ready to give up on this too.

You've done a top job!!

Nice work ozkiwi. Any close-ups? I like the top. Is it easily removable?

Yonnee.

ozkiwi
14th Jul 2008, 08:18 AM
Hi Yonnee, the top part of the trailer body is 40mm angle iron and the top (cover) also has 40mm angle iron as it's base. The two surfaces are simply inverted and bolted together with some 40mm concrete foam (used when cement is laid up against brickwork) glued (using liquid nails) to the bottom of the top (cover) section.

I hope this explains my simple yet effective waterproofing method as this is primarily used as a camping trailer and it sits there fully loaded ready to travel. Like WazOz, I live with chronic pain, so this project took over 6 months to complete.

Total cost from the ground up $815.00.

The only part I didn't make is the tailgate, a neighbour had a rusty old trailer (completely dead) that I used as a guide and his tailgate was in pretty good nick..

Here are some additional photos...

http://www.painworld.zip.com.au/tmp/trailer_02.jpg

http://www.painworld.zip.com.au/tmp/trailer_03.jpg

http://www.painworld.zip.com.au/tmp/trailer_04.jpg

This was not meant to take anything away from WazOz who started this thread..

Cheers

Steve

WazOz
14th Jul 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi ozkiwi, very nice work there, looks good, checker plate floor as well, should last a long time, nice to start from nothing and see the end result like that:2tsup:.
Congrats and thanks for comments too
Waz

WazOz
14th Jul 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Yonnee, the top part of the trailer body is 40mm angle iron and the top (cover) also has 40mm angle iron as it's base. The two surfaces are simply inverted and bolted together with some 40mm concrete foam (used when cement is laid up against brickwork) glued (using liquid nails) to the bottom of the top (cover) section.

~snip~

Steve
No problems, as the Forum doesn't have a trailer section, no claims to this thread, best place for trailer build info, may just prompt others to have a go, if a total beginner can do, then hey I can do too, as Yonee stated I came close to pulling the plug:no:, with his advice, I con'td very happy I did.

ozkiwi
15th Jul 2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks WazOz, for your understanding here.. It's a great feeling to start something from a sketch and seeing the completed project grows as you work through it to completion.

I know how easy it is to give up when things get tough and you get stuck at some point.. But now you know you can do anything is you stick at it..

I too have to work with a physical limitation (neck pain and a constant headache) so the self gratification is greater when you achieve your goal, whatever that goal is..

I hope you continue your welding and start a new project soon..

Cheers

Steve

Yonnee
15th Jul 2008, 05:57 PM
Nice work Steve.

I build/modify Trailers and Caravans as one of my many hobbies. I always like to see other peoples work and ideas. Do you use it for anything other than camping? That angle iron lip's not a bad idea. It would be very easy to fabricate a 4 piece cage side to bolt to that trailer too.

Yonnee.

WazOz
16th Jul 2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks WazOz, for your understanding here.. It's a great feeling to start something from a sketch and seeing the completed project grows as you work through it to completion.

I know how easy it is to give up when things get tough and you get stuck at some point.. But now you know you can do anything is you stick at it..

I too have to work with a physical limitation (neck pain and a constant headache) so the self gratification is greater when you achieve your goal, whatever that goal is..

I hope you continue your welding and start a new project soon..

Cheers

Steve Easier to give up some times, but as you say, when you complete a task.
Especially rewarding when in pain 24/7 and to do something like this means our limitations are determined by our own mind, may take a lot longer, but we can still do something, good for the morale, easy to get down when the easiest of tasks causes pain, Doc wants to do another fusion on my lumbar spine, hoping to avoid it. But on the bright side, it makes the gray matter (brain) work harder, when I had to flip the tray over from it's back, used brains instead of brawn, made a simple lifting rig using chain block and a pulley, two old axles standing upright, one at each end, secured with stays, and flipped the tray over easily, son gave me a hand with any physical stuff. Next job will be fixing my Hilux, some roof work to do, fine welding and repaint, wait for summer to do that. Now I have a list of jobs to do with the new trailer from the wife:oo:.
Waz

Penpal
16th Jul 2008, 12:01 PM
Congrats on your trailer and the other one as well, small suggestion when and if you stuff up one or both rear lights replace with a pair of the newish led types, reason for me my experience the extra lights on the circuit took out the fuse, had to upgrade. The leds are flatter and fully waterproof as well.
Sorry for your health things, by the way my eldest daughter lives in Golden Bay they come to Mandurah for high schooling and Church.
Peter:2tsup:

ozkiwi
16th Jul 2008, 02:19 PM
To Yonnee, the trailer was initially built as a camping trailer and it's measurements where to accommodate all our camping gear. Up the front we have 3 large plastic bins that hold all the tools, kitchen gear, air mattresses, etc. In the middle are the gas bottles and the toilet (a milk create with a toilet seat) and the kitchen sink/bench. At the rear are the two tents 2 x 10 people), the camp chairs, shower, mossie nets, folding table, etc..

The way I have designed it I can unbolt the top cover, remove the boxes and camping gear and then I have a normal box trailer.

The extras I have planned will have to wait til I get my new welder..

They include a "H" sections. One fits across the front the other across the rear. These are used to carry long loads. These sections will fit on top of the trailer as it is now with all the camping gear inside and the roof cover on.

Then there is the 3 panel sides. These will be 32mm square tube 1.2m high with gal (50x70mm) mesh sides. They will also fit into the 4 corner holes and each will lock to the next side panel. They will go across the front, and down each side. Used to move furniture, Tip runs, etc..

Unpacking it only takes me 10 minutes.

To Penpal, at the time of building my trailer I couldn't afford the cost of LED's over normal trailer lights.. The ones I have cost me $10.00 a pair thanks to Super Cheap Autos, against $120.00 a pair for LED's from Camec Caravan Accessories.

Maybe one day...

Cheers

Steve

WazOz
17th Jul 2008, 03:36 PM
Congrats on your trailer and the other one as well, small suggestion when and if you stuff up one or both rear lights replace with a pair of the newish led types, reason for me my experience the extra lights on the circuit took out the fuse, had to upgrade. The leds are flatter and fully waterproof as well.
Sorry for your health things, by the way my eldest daughter lives in Golden Bay they come to Mandurah for high schooling and Church.
Peter:2tsup:Thanks and we know Golden Bay well, small world, my church is in MH as well, Revivial Fellowship, Looked at the Leds, when these pack it in will get some from Ebay as they are a lot cheaper than retail stores here. Already had these lights, was ona budget (carers pension) wifes spine is worse than mine:(.
Cheers
Waz