PDA

View Full Version : parting tool for hercus

damian
8th Jul 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

I've noticed some of you are a lot better at find stuff than I am.

The hercus came with a joke for a parting tool. It's one of those silly 1/2" things that MIGHT just cut aluminium. I need a proper one.

Any sources would be appreciated.

I've even had a look at the quick change toolpost systems in the hope one of them would be rigid enough to do some proper work, but there is no real information on the websites.

I'd like to mount a 1" X 1/8" parting tool in the machine and clamp it good and tight. One of those hercus single tool holders would be good, might be a bit better than the 4 way.

Anyway any thoughts appreciated.

It also came with a set of toy carbide holders and tools. I really don't know what people think when they set up these little lathes...I stuck in a pointy bit of HSS and it cut satisfactorily. I reckon it's barely got the power and strength to drive a carbide tool properly, even these tiny ones...

nexusone
8th Jul 2008, 11:25 AM
Try minitech, I know they have a 3/4 blade and holder which will fit hercus. Bigger than that you may need to go custom, but probably exceeding the power of your machine anyway.

Steve

Penpal
8th Jul 2008, 01:26 PM
My quick change came with a custom made cut off tool holder and it is neat will take a pic tonight and show you what I mean,by the way there is nothing stopping you from increasing the drive to your Hercus by fitting a three phase motor and variable speed control and a larger motor or a larger single phase motor etc. in the long run use an electric horizontal bandsaw for heavy duty cuts, I also modified a Dremel to fit where the tool post fits and using the black cut off disk cut off some hard steel easy breezy.
Have a look on the pen turning site recent submission by me labelled Hercus can also be used for wood and you will see my tool post holder for the Dremel, any questions pm me.
Peter:2tsup:

damian
8th Jul 2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've mounted an angle grinder in the lathe before but that was a bodgy cylindrical grinder. I did try the 4" cut off wheel in desperation the other day but ended up wasting the steel with conventional tools. The toy tool just chattered and it was going to break. Also it was one of those stupid tapered parting tools. Always hated those...

I assume you mean the PTB750 kit from minitech.com.au ? Looks big enough. Just have to clamp it solidly.

Woodlee
8th Jul 2008, 04:02 PM
Had bit of a splurge this month
I just bought a rear tool post ,quick (change ) for the Myford from RDG Tools in UK , 56 GBP ,rather expensive ,but it comes with an parting tool holder ,and I can use the other quick change holders in it as well. Parting from the rear is more solid than trying to part from the front the material is trying to lift the whole cross slide ,where as from the front the tool tends to dive under the work because of the less rigidity in the the compound slide .The smaller lathes are not as ridgid in this area as the larger lathes for some reason.
I also bought some other stuff like a set of BSF taps and dies up to 3/8 "and an adaptor to mount chucks and other Myford threaded attachments on the milling slide .
Bought a couple of other things from RHR ,also ,in UK.Both operate on Ebay ,but I buy through their websites.
And I bought a new back plate to mount a 5" chuck on the Myford I've had for some time,got that from Minitech as the postage from UK was devastating.
Kev.