PDA

View Full Version : Trailer questions?

WazOz
1st Jul 2008, 10:40 PM
Hi again ppl, when I finish my hilux traytop trailer, what steps do I have to go thru for registration?. A cpl of other Q's hopefully someone will be able to help, min height between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the tray?, Compliance plate, where and how do I get one and fill in the appropriate info, also do I need a VIN and Tyre placard, if so again where do I get them:?? as for the weight, do I mark on the side of the tray 750kg and the AGM, have no idea of the weight of the tray, do I need to go to weighbridge?, sorry for all the Q's, just started wiring it up today, all going well and approval from RTA will have a trailer soon:2tsup:
Cheers for any help
Waz

Yonnee
2nd Jul 2008, 11:33 AM
Hi again ppl, when I finish my hilux traytop trailer, what steps do I have to go thru for registration?.
Check with your local authority. Every state is different with how strict their interpretation of the regulations are. Sometimes you are asked for a receipt for all your materials, "to prove you didn't steal them".

A cpl of other Q's hopefully someone will be able to help, min height between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the tray?,
The minimum I usually allow is around 3", but that can depend on how supple your springs are as to how much axle movement you'll have.

Compliance plate, where and how do I get one The trailer parts place you've been in contact with should be able to sell you a VIN/ID plate. and fill in the appropriate info, also do I need a VIN Yes, and Tyre placard Yes, usually on the VIN plate you can buy for trailers, if so again where do I get them:?? Again, your local Roads authority should be able to give you the contact for VIN numbers.

as for the weight, do I mark on the side of the tray 750kg No, there's a place for this on the VIN plate and the AGM, AGM & GVM are pretty much the same thing, just the difference in towball weight. The VIN plate has a place for GVM (750kg) & Tare (empty) have no idea of the weight of the tray, do I need to go to weighbridge? Usually you'd need a weighbridge for rego... sorry for all the Q's, just started wiring it up today, all going well and approval from RTA will have a trailer soon:2tsup:
Cheers for any help
Waz

You're doing better than me. Mine's now a rolling chassis...

WazOz
2nd Jul 2008, 11:44 AM
Hi again Yonee, very much appreciate the info:2tsup:, not long now and all things going well, will get the trailer licensed next week.
Cheers
Waz