PDA

View Full Version : source of 8in trailer wheels

Gaza
24th May 2008, 10:44 PM
i need to make some large dollys for work to move around packs of plywood weigh a ton each.

i want to use a wheel with a tyre so it can go over bumps as normal hard industrial wheels just stop.

looking today on ebay i saw small trailers with 8in wheels, does any one know a source of these in syd.

also require axles as well,

the wheels need to be able to turn so the axle might be rotating on a centre point, any ideas please pass them on.

thanks

pipeclay
25th May 2008, 10:13 AM
How many do you need to make,have you thought of using the pneumatic type of jockey wheel set up for your end pivot steeringMaybe try bunnings and see what they have in regards to pneumatic wheels,if you have access to a drill and welder should be too hard to fabricate your on pivot assembly for steering .

I take it you would be having a single wheel front and rear for steering and 2 wheels in the middle of your frame on the outside.

bitingmidge
25th May 2008, 10:25 AM
i need to make some large dollys for work to move around packs of plywood weigh a ton each.s

Why not use a pair of wheelbarrow wheels?

P

Gaza
25th May 2008, 03:49 PM
Why not use a pair of wheelbarrow wheels?

P

dont think wheelbarrow wheels have a load rating of 250kg each.

i need industrial grade wheels the bunnings style stuff is only not suitable, i use there wheels on my rubish carts

John H
25th May 2008, 05:13 PM
Try a trailer place that sells boat trailers as this is where I've seen them used the most.

pipeclay
25th May 2008, 05:33 PM
Not sure if the ones at bunnings are 300lb or 300kg rated,youll find those in the gardening section.

Give Moore Equipment a call 9519 5540 they have a wide selection.
What is the surface your moveing over,they have pneumatic 250mm OD fixed and swivel rated to 225kg.

They also have rubber tyred types at 200mm OD rated to 300kgs.

Bloss
25th May 2008, 08:33 PM
Talk to your nearest CBC Bearings store.

Look at their website and go to castors where you will see that they sell all manner of industrial castors and wheels - including up to 10 tonne wheels!

I bought a set of castors to put under my ancient 8" Primo jointer that was a cast iron bed with a cast iron base - weighed around 400kgs and CBC had a range. As it happened I wanted non-marking ones and they had them - with or without brakes etc etc. Put one on each corner (with two on diagonals having brakes) and was able to move it around with ease.

I am sure they will have a solution for your need and they are reasonably priced given they are good quality.

http://www.conbear.com/

tanii51
25th May 2008, 09:21 PM
what about 9 inch alloy boat rims (sent you a pm)

malb
26th May 2008, 03:18 PM
Aunger were doing a sheetmetal flatpack trailer a while ago with 8in pneumatics bolting onto hubs. Sold through Kmart and Repco, Repco still had them a while ago. An accessory for them was a spare tyre and rim, or a tyre, rim, hub, and stub axle as a drawbar bolt on spare everything set.

Tyre and rim was abt $50 from memory.

4.8 x 4 x 8 4 ply tyre load rating 270kg ea 4 studs on approx 100mm diameter circle Highway rated tyre.

Try Repco, Aunger, or ebay in that order

Yonnee
26th May 2008, 09:41 PM
What type are you chasing?
When I was at Melbourne Trailer & Caravan Supplies (03 9772 2333), they had several 8" rims available. Here's the list;

- 8" x 2.5" low speed needle roller bearings (requires matching axle or shaft)
- 8" x 2.5" split rim with HT stud pattern (bolts to a std HT trailer hub)
- 8" x 2.5" with integral tapered roller bearings (goes onto std trailer stub axle, high speed)
- 8" x 3.0" wider version of above
- 8" x 3.5" one piece HT stud pattern
- 8" x ??? I think they were 5 or 6" wide, Mini 4 stud, suits knobby ATV tyres (Not cheap!)

As for the jockey wheel, Manutec (http://manutec.com.au) do a 10" diameter pneumatic 'look-alike' (http://www.manutec.com.au/default.asp?pageid=5&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=60&catalogue=3&prodid=JW350X4SR) that's solid rubber. Won't go flat!! Unsure of carrying capacity. You could see if you could buy the fork part of the jockey wheel separately as pivot for the front. Cheaper than buying the whole jockey wheel.

Just found it... (http://www.manutec.com.au/default.asp?pageid=5&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=54&catalogue=3&prodid=JWFORKPNEU)

Yonnee.