PDA

View Full Version : Treating new welds? car panel

WazOz
19th Mar 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi ppl, need advice, did a heap of work on my Hilux 4x4 a cpl of yrs ago, and looked gr8, then last yr all the repair work, new paint on the roof cracked:C, looks bad both sides, rear sections of roof on the bend, hard to weld, don't think I did it right, obviously. What I am after is advice on doing a repair correctly from go to whoa. Will be removing the filler and then cut out the new sections that cracked, have purchased a metal shear and nibbler to cut the replacement pieces out of a donor door:2tsup:. Correct me please when I am wrong, hole punch around the perimeter, plug weld a sheet as a base, clean up, treat for rust, then place the new piece in, tack, small 1 inch runs going from side to side, to avoid warpage, allowing time to cool, eventually complete seam weld? is this necessary?. Here I need advice when finished, do I treat the weld with a product like ColGal, after grinding down and smoothing of course, still learning:no:, has to be acrylic as my paint will be acrylic, or should I wait till cold and place metal filler on the welds to level then spray Epoxy?Etch primer, any and all advice will be appreciated. Need to keep the metal cancer away.
Many thanks
Waz

dazzler
19th Mar 2008, 05:30 PM
Hi

I have always wire buffed after welding and then painted a thick coat of primer to suit the undercoat and then when i was ready to spray I would wire buff it off, put a very thin skim coat of filler and then sand that back to finish, spray with spray filler and undercoat.

The secret IMO is having the smallest / thinnest amount of filler to achieve a smooth finish.

cheers

WazOz
20th Mar 2008, 12:49 AM
Hi

I have always wire buffed after welding and then painted a thick coat of primer to suit the undercoat and then when i was ready to spray I would wire buff it off, put a very thin skim coat of filler and then sand that back to finish, spray with spray filler and undercoat.

The secret IMO is having the smallest / thinnest amount of filler to achieve a smooth finish.

cheers
Thanks for the response, wire buffing sounds easy enough and spraying a primer as well. All good tips:2tsup:
Thanks
Waz