PDA

View Full Version : Hercus 9" back gears

Buncha
22nd Feb 2008, 12:56 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Looks like there are a lot of clever people here :D

Does anyone know where I can get a new or used back gear for a Model C Hercus? I need the gear on the RH end of the back gear shaft.

Buncha

Fossil
22nd Feb 2008, 01:09 PM
Mick Moyles may be your best bet.
I was there a few weeks back, and he had what you are after.
If you e-mail him, he should be able to post the gear to you.

http://www.moyles.com.au/

Buncha
25th Feb 2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Fossil.

I rang Moyles but unfortunately the parts were already sold. It looks like I'll have to do some dentistry.

bitza500
5th May 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi, I am currently having a box of Southbend parts that I am buying to restore my 1938-39 Hercus 9" if you can let me know all the dimensions and number of teeth I can see if my Mate in America can track you one down as so far all the parts 9 boxes have fitted the Hercus so let me know as in America it is big business wrecking lathes and a lot of parts available
all the best derek

Buncha
13th May 2008, 01:23 PM
Derek,
thanks a bunch :U for the offer.
The gear is 1.5" diameter, 24 teeth, cast into a shaft 6" long that also has a 4" diameter gear with 62 teeth. The shaft has a 3/4" bore I think. The pitch between the gears is 4.5".
Greg,

neksmerj
13th May 2008, 05:52 PM
Buncha,

The gear you are referring to is part and parcel of the back gear. It is a one piece casting comprising both gears and barrel. I'm sure someone could repair it, but feel the repair would be more expensive than a replacement back gear.

There is a Seller on eBay USA, that sells many South Bend components.
His ID is ANTFARM200. Open eBay, and click on COMMUNITY. Type his ID in the box, and proceed from there. Click on Items for sale, and select any item referring to 9" South Bend. When this page opens, click 9" South Bend in the LH panel, and you will have an entire list of South Bend parts only. Hercus is a clone of the 9" South Bend lathe with many parts interchangeable.

He does not have a back gear listed at the moment, but it might be worth asking him the question.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Buncha
14th May 2008, 04:12 PM
Ken,

Thanks for that. I did realise that it was all a one piece casting. I was thinking that I might have a go at repairing it myself, seeing as it's knackered already I can only improve it. But if a replacement part is not too expensive I'll use it instead. I don't want to over-capitalise the lathe. I paid $400 for it, and it is in pretty poor condition.

I was going to buy a chinese one from Hare & Forbes but some mates who are 'experts' talked me into this bargain :~ I found that the tailstock is approx 40 thou lower than the headstock. I've put some loose shims under it for the time being, but will look at doing something more permanent in the future.

Greg

Penpal
14th May 2008, 07:43 PM
It would appear the tail stock is from another lathe. A common occurance was a large number of Hercus lathes were ex schools etc or commercial users, when put up for sale insiders, sometimes dealers mislaid tailstocks etc to bring the price down ending up not getting the sale occasionally and the mismatch begins.This could be likened to one man in the army losing his towel.

However the tail stock is in two parts,should be easy to modify the height.Arrange with Ken to visit and see, he by now is intimate with his Hercus and lives in Melbourne.

Peter:2tsup:

Buncha
15th May 2008, 02:01 PM
Penpal,
If this lathe was in a school then there were very dirty little children using it :D.
It looks like it was worked hard for most of its life without being cleaned. There is oily grime oozing from it. The tailstock miss-match is caused by wear where it rests on the ways, but splitting it and shimming it up is probably much easier than the alternative.
Cheers,
Greg

pipeclay
15th May 2008, 09:39 PM
Just wondering has the tail stock got the same part no as the bed,just seems like a hell of a lot of wear for a tail stock.

Grahame Collins
16th May 2008, 12:05 AM
If this lathe was in a school then there were very dirty little children using it :D.
It looks like it was worked hard for most of its life without being cleaned.

You don't know the half of it !
They all want to use it.Very few want to learn the theory or safety behind the operation of the machine.
They do not want to pick up tools or clean after the (play ) is done.

I steadfastly refuse to let 9s or 10s use the lathe until the pass a theory and safety test. For the abuse the machines have taken they are something else.Chinese crap lathes would be faaaarcked in minutes.

Some Hercus lathes in schools have 25 years of service.
Under normal operation operated by caring operators, they are great machines.

Grahame

neksmerj
16th May 2008, 12:40 AM
Paul,

My old mates Pete and Grahame, are spot on. Kids slide the tailstocks off and chuck them on the floor in amoungst the swarf. The cleaner comes along, just doing his job, and moves them, and so on etc etc.

I have the same problem with my Hercus in that the serial No's don't quite match. Two digits out, may as well be two hundred digits out. Each Hercus lathe had the tailstock hand matched to the bed. I won't know what problems I face until I finish my restoration.

I have a friend who knows how to align a lathe using a laser sight, will get more info if you need it. It may just be that the tailstock end of the bed needs adjusting.

As Pete suggests, if you want to have a natter about "the old girl" send me an email or PM.

Might be able to help with a few more of your questions.

Ken

Buncha
16th May 2008, 04:39 PM
Ken,

Thanks for the info on the South Bend guy in the US. He hasn't got a back gear at the moment, but I'll keep checking. I may give the 'Experts' who talked me into it a project to make me a new gear :)

I havn't checked the serial numbers yet. I'll take a look on the week-end. I have a few other projects that need TLC at the moment, so the lathe is a low priority. I'll get in touch when I have more time to devote to it.

Cheers, Greg

bitza500
5th Sep 2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Greg, how is your Hercus coming along as I am now finished bringing in bits due to POVERTY did you ever get the back gear ??
all the best Derek

bollie7
5th Sep 2008, 08:57 PM
Greg
I don't know where you are at with your lathe at the moment but did you try Hercus themselves? Still in business still making lathes etc They might still have spares

http://www.hercus.com.au/

regards
bollie7

.RC.
6th Sep 2008, 12:03 AM
Hercus don't make lathes any more....Have not done so for many years...I think the last lathe they made was somewhere around 2000, 2001..List price back then on a new 260 was $12 000 or thereabouts..

They had a big sell off of all their spare parts for their older lathes and Macson lathes and now I think they might only stock parts for the later series ones...

footz
20th Sep 2008, 10:16 PM
Just seen this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HERCUS-MODEL-AH-9-SWING-BACK-GEAR_W0QQitemZ120308003684QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11810QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

all the best

Buncha
22nd Sep 2008, 02:20 PM
Footz,
Thanks for the heads-up :2tsup:. I just bought it :D
Buncha

footz
22nd Sep 2008, 02:40 PM
Nice one, hopefully it is a good one!

Buncha
22nd Sep 2008, 04:10 PM
It certainly looks good, and will be a much better solution than me spending hours bodging up a few sets of dentures for mine.

Buncha

beetle
23rd Sep 2008, 12:10 AM
Try MICK MOYES ENGINEERING supplies at Summer Hill in Sydney ive had a lot of success there Cheers Bernie