PDA

View Full Version : Which TIG to buy (Grahame)?

Rossluck
15th Feb 2008, 04:08 PM
I recently bought a 2nd hand Castolin Eutectic powermax inverter welder. It cost $450.00 is an MMA/TIG welder than runs to 150 AMPS. I've used it a bit and it's basically the best welder I've ever used.

BUT, The other day I came across a Fronius Transpocket 1500, a similar welder (inverter, MMA, TIG to 150 AMPS) for $750.

The thing is that the Fronius is in excellent, almost new, condition, while the Castolin Eutectic is well used.

Should I sell the Castolin Eutectic and go for the Fronius or just be happy with what I've got?

Grahame Collins
15th Feb 2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Ross
My answer to you would be both. Confused ?
My information is that the Eutectic Castolin units are superb welders and the reason is they are made by Fronios.

They are the old or earlier series models that have been rebadged with Eutectic Castolin logo under license.

I know this, as the electrician where my wife works (the business repairs all electrical tools including welders ) is a grand wizard master in the black arts of welder and especially inverter welder repair.

As such, he has spotted the Fronius trademarks when doing his magic on the Castolin machines.

As far as I am aware the only thing to watch for is the VRD which is best avoided if its an ex rental or mine machine. VRD is a pain in the bum.

Your choice of course but a new TransPocket 1500 runs somewhere near $1500. Half price is very reasonable for one as you describe. Id flog the other one off and have a close to brand new condition welder.

Remember it is only DC and won't weld Ali.

I am just having a break now as the power has been off for a few hours. I have not seen rain like this in my 14 years in Mackay.

Back to cleaning up after the flood.We had 700 mms of water through the laundry and bathroom . Nothing came inside the house .stopped short of the floor level by 150mms .Close !

Near as we can judge theres been 600mm fall in 6 hours.Its not over yet, as its a higher tide tonight and the river is peaking with rain yet to come down from the highland areas. We got off light,I am told, many have lost houses and cars.

Grahame

Gingermick
15th Feb 2008, 06:02 PM
It drained really well in Slade Point.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=66906

Cliff Rogers
15th Feb 2008, 07:22 PM
.....We got off light,I am told, many have lost houses and cars.

Grahame
Keep your nose up. :2tsup:

journeyman Mick
15th Feb 2008, 11:45 PM
Keep your nose up. :2tsup:

Yep, especially if the water is lapping at your chin.:oo:

Mick

Rossluck
16th Feb 2008, 09:58 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond Grahame. We've got two broadband lines coming into our house and two teenagers who "need it" for their games (this is where they violently kill cyber-representations of each other). Last night I gave up in frustration after watching the hourglass icon for 15 minutes.

Thanks for the advice. I may get in trouble if I buy the Fronius. I have a bad habit of saying that I'm up-grading but I don't sell off the "trade-in". I'll watch it on the shelf at Cash Converters, and if it hangs around long enough I may get it.

Sorry to hear about the rain; can you send some down to Winvenhoe?

Grahame Collins
16th Feb 2008, 07:50 PM
Sorry Ross,
I can't do it to you.

No one is equipped to handle our rain, not even us.

Grahame

Uncle Bob
17th Feb 2008, 07:07 PM
Sounds like we could really do with that National ring water main now. The plus side is, beside watering us dry southerners, it would give 'em welders a lot more work ;)

Grahame Collins
17th Feb 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I may get in trouble if I buy the Fronius.

More people know of the Eutectic Brand more so than they do of the Fronios, the former having been around for much longer.

My guess would be it would not be too much trouble to sell a "very High Quality Eutectic welder sacrificed at $550 "

Cheers
Grahame

Rossluck
18th Feb 2008, 04:36 PM
More people know of the Eutectic Brand more so than they do of the Fronios, the former having been around for much longer.

My guess would be it would not be too much trouble to sell a "very High Quality Eutectic welder sacrificed at $550 "

Cheers
Grahame

I put a lay-by on the Fronius today. I have to hide it from SWMBO until I sell the other one. She can't understand why someone who's not very good at welding needs so many welders. Women:?. It's a Transpocket 1500 TIG, by the way, and according to my research they retail for around $2,200.