PDA

View Full Version : Duragal - Gasless Mig Wire Recommendation

dazzler
4th Dec 2007, 09:40 PM
Hey

Not really an exciting question but I am welding duragal 2mm wall pipe with a Minimag 120 .8mm gasless wire with a .9mm tip.

Had an old roll in the machine that welded great. Bought a new roll and it spatters much worse than the old one. New wire is Liquidarc steelcore.

Does that wire sound OK for the job? Any other recommendation?

cheers

dazzler

silentC
4th Dec 2007, 09:42 PM
There's a welding guide on the OneSteel site that recommends what to use. Can't remember off the top of my head, but if you don't get an answer before tomorrow, I'll ask my BIL what was in his when we welded up my verandahs.

glock40sw
5th Dec 2007, 09:05 PM
Dazz.
Why are you running a .9 tip with .8 wire?

I run the same size tip and wire for steel and only run .1 larger tip when using Aluminium wire.

dazzler
5th Dec 2007, 09:43 PM
Hi

thanks for the responses. Onesteel site was great but a bit technical for me :rolleyes: though some very good tips that I tried tonight.

Hey glock, am using a .1 larger as thats how i was taught as an apprentice welding grouser plates on dozers otherwise the wire binds as the tip gets hot......least thats what I was told, then again I was told lots a stuff later found to be rubbish :p

Wheres mr collins when we need him :D

cheeers

glock40sw
6th Dec 2007, 07:25 AM
Earth to Grahame,
Earth to Grahame.
Come in Grahame. :D:D:D

Grahame Collins
16th Dec 2007, 12:50 PM
Hi guys
Better late than never. But given what I think about it you can probably do with out my opinion.
Sorry but I am not a true believer in gasless wire ie FCAW for sheet metal thicknesses.Take my opinion for what its worth .I am not trying to upset anyone, but its really a peeve of mine!

To me its a big con job perpetrated on newby mig owners that one machine will do all.I have said it before and will say it again. Its not used in this application out there in industry and thats why industry would do it,that is to save a quid and /or achieve an excellent quality .

It works sometimes for the home guy but only to a relatively poor standard.The are too many variables to explain it all properly.

The snakeoil salesmen that sell these machines are capitalizing on the innate desire of DIY welders to

have one machine for all applications
do it cheaply
do it well

Unfortunately the small FCAW machines don't do any of the above. The bigger and better have a niche with lightweigt metal fab as in farming but not much more than that as far as i know.

Manufacturers and salesmen of low end machines have a lot to answer for in my humble opinion.

It will be the difference in flux make up up of the new wire that causes the spatter.The cure is to change wire.Play around with the volts /amps setting is all can suggest.
I take it for granted you have ground the duralgal surface back to clean metal.That omission alone could result in excess spatter.

Grahame

dazzler
16th Dec 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks Grahame

No offence taken - each has thier own viewpoint. :)

No snake oil salesman got me. I have used mine to build race cars, car trailers and all manner of things using gas. Also for welding up gates and fences outside where wind would be an issue.

But, now that I am a very occasional user the hire costs of a bottle outway the benefit (well when you are a tight wad that is :wink:).

What was confusing was that the new roll was not as good.
I used up the troublesome roll and bought another brand and it went much better. So you were correct that changing them may fix it.

Didnt take the dura gal off as the onesteel site were adamant that there was no need to take it off. I used it for some black steel and there was no difference. When I worked as a plant mechanic I always ground gal back but this stuff seems a lot thinner than the stuff I used to work with.

Thanks again for your input!