PDA

View Full Version : Overhead welding technique

Grahame Collins
9th Aug 2007, 09:05 PM
In response to a request from Preimsy

Overhead welding technique

Developing an understanding of what you are doing and why
What is written here can not replace hands on training with feedback from an experienced trainer. As alluded to previously, the techniques greatly depend upon keeping the heat and volume of the welding arc at a very manageable level. Experience and ARC TIME are a key issue also. The average welder needs 50 to 100 hrs of arc time before attempting the out of position stuff.
In the flat or downhand position,The welding arc deposits the molten metal and it fuses into the parent metal with the assistance of the force of gravity.In the case of an overhead weld the force of gravity is actively working against the welder.

This means immediately welding with a short arc. The arc voltage present in the short arc creates far less molten liquid volume than a longer welding arc. If the welder cannot consistently maintain a short arc, then the remainder of the techniques are fairly pointless as success is limited. The short arc electrode manipulation is a keystone of the out of position weld.

The clue here is to perfect the short arc practice in the flat position first. If one cannot weld adequately with a shortened arc, the out of position welds will not be successful.
I have emphasized this in the preceding lines three or four times and there is a very good reason for it. The welder must have the complete understanding that there is linkage between a very much reduced time interval between depositing the weld arc and the volume of the molten metal being deposited in that particular time frame. The greater the volume of molten metal and the time it remains molten will make the act of overhead welding all the more difficult.

A passing knowledge of the laws of physics is a handy thing too!

Most overhead welding is completed as a fillet weld situation-welding a vertical plate to a horizontal with the joint over one.s head.

If you are welding on the farm I would dice the Satincraft. Satincraft are the show pony electrode. The downside is they will not weld over their own slag without creating more slag holes.

If welding for the farm get some low hydrogen electrodes. Farm equipment seems to work above and beyond the call of duty

Priemsy
10th Aug 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks Grahame. I'm of out of here to practice.

Paul

pedro66
10th Aug 2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the good information Grahame.

I like others have been messing about with welders for many years, but until now didn't understand the finer detail of what we should be doing.

The problem with the backyard amateur is that we don't get enough practice, as usually the only practice is when we need to make something.

I will ditch the Satin Craft and follow your lead on electrodes.

Pedro