PDA

View Full Version : Welding Advice

spotty_mustang
1st Aug 2007, 11:10 PM
Hi all:2tsup: ,
I dont really know much about welding so ill try and explain this as best I can.
I need to weld a new section of floor into a '71 Beetle. The panel is about 450 x 250 mm and it is 2mm thick.
What is the best welder to use for this job? I have an arc welder (I dont know how good it is - I think the lowest amp. is about 40 and the highest is about 120) Can I use the arc welder or do I have to get my hands on a MIG (or some other type??).
If I can use my arc welder, what are the best electrodes to use? And what amp. setting should I use?

Many Thanks,
Nate

peter_sm
1st Aug 2007, 11:26 PM
You will not be able to weld it in with an arc. I have worked on dozens of VW's and the floor is not 2.0mm, more like 1.6mm. You will need a MIG, or at minimum one running gasless wire. Personally I would use a MIG with gas, or fusion weld using an oxy set.

DJ’s Timber
1st Aug 2007, 11:49 PM
Definitely a MIG with gas. More likely to be 1.6mm as Peter says

Grahame Collins
1st Aug 2007, 11:56 PM
A Mig is certainly the best way.
A couple of things though.

The weld interface must be clean .Thats CLEAN, I say clean, shiny clean. A flap wheel on a an angle grinder can do this.

Probably the the most cost efficient option is to probably hire a small MIG for the repair after you have removed the offending panel and fabricated a new piece.

Use the smallest diameter wire you can get. Something around 0.6mm wire diameter. You will have to get the correct size contact tip to match the wire.

If you have had no prior experience get some assistance.Tackle a job like this,without someone who has prior inexperience and it will turn to doggy doo. Remember your welding safety I petrol tanks etc.

Did I say it had to be clean? Also you could have look at this.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Grahame