PDA

View Full Version : tapped or untapped MIG?

davem100
17th Jun 2007, 06:17 PM
Hello all
I'm familiar with stick welders but never had anything to do with MIGs

I have this sheetmetal project in the pipeline(toolboxes made from 1mm galv sheet, etc)

Is an untapped MIG a necessity when welding thin stuff?

I'm only after one of the smaller models of MIG but they don't sell the untapped version in OZ.

If I have to go the tapped option I was looking at the Lincoln SP170t or the WIA Weldmatic 150. According to the online catalogues the WIA has 9 voltage settings and the Lincoln only 5. Could someone tell me if this is the case?

TIA

Dave

Grahame Collins
17th Jun 2007, 07:50 PM
Davem
From what I understand of your post,you are seeking a mig with a variable dial voltage.

For what you would pay for the one I am aware of -A Kemppi
you might buy 10 custom made toolboxes and still have change.

You should have no trouble using either Lincoln or WIA machine to weld 1mm using 0.6mm hard wire and gas.

A corner to corner set up positioned by welding magnets and lots of tacking and balanced welding technique will see you through.

Grahame

Mick C.
18th Jun 2007, 12:04 AM
The WIA 150 is a great machine and will do the job well, but i'd stay well clear of the galv sheet and go with some Zincaneal, LOTS easier to weld! and if you are only going to use 1mm sheet anything bigger than a "spot" will result in all sorts of pulling and buckling. Like Graham said, keep it balanced and move around the job and if its to hot to touch its to hot to keep welding, let it cool down and go more slowly. Personaly, i'd be buying them...

martrix
18th Jun 2007, 12:12 AM
Could someone inform a newb as to what you mean by Tapped or Untapped?:?

joe greiner
18th Jun 2007, 01:03 AM
Could someone inform a newb as to what you mean by Tapped or Untapped?:?

Google is your friend. [tapped untapped mig welder]:

http://www.weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-5075.html

Near bottom of page:
Tapped has steps for voltage adjustment; untapped is continuously variable.

I didn't know this five minutes ago.

Joe

martrix
18th Jun 2007, 01:15 AM
Google is your friend. [tapped untapped mig welder]:

http://www.weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-5075.html

Near bottom of page:
Tapped has steps for voltage adjustment; untapped is continuously variable.

I didn't know this five minutes ago.

Joe

Cheers Joe. So I guess that means my MIG is Tapped because it has a dial for adjusting the wire speed and 3 switches for the voltage combinations?

I take the untapped MIGs with variable (dial?) voltage adjustment are the more professional $$$ units?

joe greiner
18th Jun 2007, 02:24 AM
Cheers Joe. So I guess that means my MIG is Tapped because it has a dial for adjusting the wire speed and 3 switches for the voltage combinations?

I take the untapped MIGs with variable (dial?) voltage adjustment are the more professional $$$ units?

Blind as a bat on that martrix. I had the impression that tapped would have separate contacts on the dial, but externally the same appearance. I think the link had some discussion on costs elsewhere on the page.

Joe