PDA

View Full Version : welding bench

Gags_17
7th Apr 2007, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

Ive got a 4.5mtr workbench with a ply top that i use when making furniture Im curious to know whether it would be worth while buying some steel plate to put on top for welding on or whether i should make a completley new bench for welding?ive got a 4 car garage as my workshop and mum and dad dont bring their cars in:) so space isnt any problem.

thanks again

bsrlee
7th Apr 2007, 11:27 PM
4 car garage!:o You lucky B....

A dedicated welding bench would be ideal - say 1200x1200 of 6mm plate, 4 tube legs that screw into pipe flanges welded or bolted on. With a 6mm top you can drill & tap holes to hold jigs for bending as well as holding parts for welding, and you can also do some light pounding too.

Of course a piece of sheet metal will do if you can't get the extra $$$ for a plate bench.

Gags_17
8th Apr 2007, 10:04 AM
Yeh i no it's great i started t set up my garage last night so it could be hald dedicated to welding and half wood work so that i dont end up with any accidental fires.thanx for the info is steel plate expensive?i think once i get the jiist of welding the work bench has got to be my first project:)

simso
9th Apr 2007, 10:58 AM
Okay you got a couple of ways to do this. Firstly the best welding bench top is not a flat steel top but a thick heavy duty mesh top. Remember your going to be cutting and grinding and welding. All the crap will fall straight threw. My bench here at home is a solid top only because I store stuff underneath. The next thing to save storage space. Hinge an old bed frame of one of the shed walls this aallows it to be pivoted up and out of the way when not in use. And dropped drown when in use
My 2 cents worth
Steve

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 12:23 PM
Yeh thanks Simso
Just wondering if i go with a mesh top how do i go about storing the welding unit?Because im guessing its going to have to be pretty close because of the leads?If i store the unit underneath with a mesh top will the sparks from grinding or welding burn it?
cheers

simso
9th Apr 2007, 12:35 PM
You can store your welding unit underneath it, thats fine there designed for a harsh enviroment. Depending on what unit you have or you are getting, the leads can be quite long.

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 02:07 PM
Oh ok thats good I was recomended on this forum to buy the gmc arc welder they said it was a good buy as i didnt want to spend to much money
Thanks

simso
9th Apr 2007, 02:37 PM
Yeh the gmc is a fine unit, the beauty with welding on a mesh bench is you hook your arc welder onto the bench and just weld any item sitting on top, ideally you clamp the item to the bench for ridgidity and just weld no need to earth the item as its earthed to the bench. After a while you just get lazy and dont bother clamping and just sit the item on and weld away. The other beauty with a mesh top is you can do all your cuttiing and grinding ect without any issues
Steve

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 03:02 PM
So how much is the mesh?so instead of of putting the electric clamp for the welder on the work piece you put it on the table and the table passes the current through to your work piece is that what you meant?sorry um knew to the welding game :rolleyes:
cheers

simso
9th Apr 2007, 03:14 PM
Spot on. As fas as a sheet of steel, if you say use a piece 1.8 metres long by 600mm deep in 5mm thickness, expect to pay 170-200. If you use 6mm mesh for the same size area about 70 dollars. Or a cheap old style bed with the wire frame from the tip for about 20 bucks. Thats the best option

Andy Mac
9th Apr 2007, 03:17 PM
Hi Gags,
A mesh bench is not a bad idea, but I need the storage under, and like to contain the sparks! Like you, I have woodwork and metalwork happening in the same space.
Here's my solution, a shot of my welding bench, which is a suitable bay for a small workshop.:wink: My only complaint is having the welder and oxy setup on the left, but can't fit it on the right hand-side.:-
It has a built-in bin with a series of flat bars on edge for oxy cutting over (contains the sparks'n'slag); a small section of kiln bricks to heat and braze on; and about a square metre of plate steel for welding. If I'm doing bigger stuff, that panel of fibro at the far end of the bench is removed (the frame sockets into the bench), and I can push longer stuff through the hydraulic press (the red frame in the foreground), which also acts as a vice. The hold-all sitting up in the centre also sockets into the bench and can be removed easily. I too clamp the earth lead onto the bench itself, and simply weld in the hold-all or flat on the bench. BTW I think the fibro wall cladding is a good idea, especially with a timber framed shed
Hope that's of some use in working out your requirements!:)

Cheers,

simso
9th Apr 2007, 03:37 PM
Andi, thats a nice solid setup, well done, Basically thats a best of both welds a section for the crap to go through a section for working with oxy and lastly a nice flat plate. Well done mate, well thought out and very practical
Steve

watson
9th Apr 2007, 06:26 PM
That's a beaut set-up Andy......the best of all worlds in one. I forgot the bricks on mine and I'm forever trying to find those fire-bricks I put over there last week.
An amendment to my welding area coming up.
Thanks

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeh nice bench Andy I like the idea with the end for waste and then the other end is a flat sheet thats definetly inspiration for my bench.Simso i think the thineer meash is a better option as i dont want to go spending mega buckson the welder and accessories as im just getting it as more of a "toy" then anything else because have no particular items i want to weld i just think it would be great fun to learn and i sounds pretty challenging wich i like:) Um with the current running threw the bench if i touch it with welding gloves on will i get electricuted?How strong is the current that circulates threw the bench and workpiece?If the bench is massive will the welder n work aswell because so much electricity is running threw the bench?thanx for the help guys it's great

simso
9th Apr 2007, 06:53 PM
Nah its earth, it wont hurt you. Running threw the bench is my personal preference becuase it means if theres a short it will trip the cuircuit breaker straight away without you being involved. Even when i tig I use the bench as an earth.
Steve

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 07:01 PM
Oh ok i see thats good then so do i need to put anything extra on the bench when its built to help with the earth? thanks mate

simso
9th Apr 2007, 07:05 PM
Nope. Most of the time when I weld the item Im slack and just sit it on the bench and start wedling without a clamp or earth strap. But ideally if you use something like a bed frame then just weld a piece of box steel across the unit as a centre brace and then weld a nut into the box so you can clamp things down if you want to. Its really all your personal choice. You will adapt it as necessary when you go to use it. If its not handy or convenient then you cut weld modify ect to make it convenient.
Steve

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 07:13 PM
Yeh ok so will i need to be able to acces the bench from all angles or will it be ok against a wall?Back to construction of the bench will it have to have metal legs or will it be ok with wooden legs?
cheers

simso
9th Apr 2007, 07:30 PM
Its all your call, if you have a welder then weld. Remember you make it how you want it and if it doesnt work you change it, its that simple. The cheapest welding bench is a bed frame with hinges on one side of the bed which you dynabolt to a brick wall and suspension chains on the other side from the brick wall but higher which allow the unit to fold up out of the way when not in use, and when you want to use it you pull one edge down from the wall and it simply suspends via the chains. The other alternative is a bed frame on a set of folding horses which once again allows you to collapse the unit and put it away. alternatively weld some legs on, its not a big deal. Only you know what will work for you
Steve

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 07:50 PM
Yeh ok thanks i think the saw horse bench is a good idea i built some collapsable saw horses about 12months ago out of an old picket fence and i dont use them very often thanks heaps for the help mate this forum is great i cant wait to find somebody that has a problem i canhelp them with:D

Grahame Collins
9th Apr 2007, 08:42 PM
Gags_17

As suggested by Simso the fold up bench could be a goer for you. Perhaps consider a modified version of Sturdees portable
bench.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47708

I am certainly going to do one myself. Luv da wheels

Grahame

Gags_17
9th Apr 2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the link Grahame thats a great idea im gona do that tomorow hopefully ive got enough scrap wood laying around:rolleyes: but i will need to add some sort of steel top to it for the idea steve gave me earlier about the metal top and the gaps for the waste to fall down:D thank god im on school holidays.And i just finished my latest project to which is good because ill be bored with nothing to make:D

yogie
10th Apr 2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Gags,
A mesh bench is not a bad idea, but I need the storage under, and like to contain the sparks! Like you, I have woodwork and metalwork happening in the same space.
Here's my solution, a shot of my welding bench, which is a suitable bay for a small workshop.:wink: My only complaint is having the welder and oxy setup on the left, but can't fit it on the right hand-side.:-
It has a built-in bin with a series of flat bars on edge for oxy cutting over (contains the sparks'n'slag); a small section of kiln bricks to heat and braze on; and about a square metre of plate steel for welding. If I'm doing bigger stuff, that panel of fibro at the far end of the bench is removed (the frame sockets into the bench), and I can push longer stuff through the hydraulic press (the red frame in the foreground), which also acts as a vice. The hold-all sitting up in the centre also sockets into the bench and can be removed easily. I too clamp the earth lead onto the bench itself, and simply weld in the hold-all or flat on the bench. BTW I think the fibro wall cladding is a good idea, especially with a timber framed shed
Hope that's of some use in working out your requirements!:)

Cheers,

that table reminds me of the old tech school benches we used to use years ago, what flash back. Myself I dont like the idea of mesh, gets to messy underneath, I prefer a sold top with half section made of grate, best of both worlds, just watch out for wood shavings and sawdust, not a good combination, could smoulder for hours with out even relising (been there and done that, lost a lot of equipment...:C WOuld try and have two closed seperate areas, I relise it might not be practible but just my 2 cents worth.

BobL
10th Apr 2007, 11:11 AM
Andy, that welding bench looks like a real beauty. I'd love to have room in my shed for something like that, especially a little space for fire bricks. I keep my fire brick behind my shed so If I want to use them I have to fight my way through the bouganvillia which is no fun especially at night

Currently I weld the small stuff (bolts etc) in the shed in metal vice and big stuff I take outside on the crappier part of the brick paving and set up a temp bench with 2 sawhorses, 3 lengths of 50 x 100 RHS and a piece of 3mm x 450 x 600 steel plate. It's a PITA. Slag gets stuck between the paving cracks, can't leave jobs in a half finished state, etc .

Regarding your bench Gags, I would not put a permanent steel plate on top of a wooden bench, as others have said the wood could start smouldering and keeping going for hours afterwards. If you have to have the benches alongside each other I would make/use a metal plate screen to divide the two areas to keep spark away from the wooden bench. This screen could be made so that you put it up only when you are welding so that it does not clutter the space.

Gags_17
10th Apr 2007, 11:29 AM
Yeh thanks bobL i think i will make it so that the bench is setup in the other half of my garage in front of one of the roller doors then i can hopfully divide it up a bit and it will help with the fumes.do they linger for A while?Thanks yogie what sort of grate are you talking about?how much are they thanks
cheers

yogie
10th Apr 2007, 03:46 PM
Yeh thanks bobL i think i will make it so that the bench is setup in the other half of my garage in front of one of the roller doors then i can hopfully divide it up a bit and it will help with the fumes.do they linger for A while?Thanks yogie what sort of grate are you talking about?how much are they thanks
cheers

make your own grate, get hold of 20 X 10mm bar and some angle and make one up to suit your space, good practice with the arc anyway, I love migs...:D I made my table when I was a aprentice, still have it, the vice could be a little bigger though, and while your at weld on a flat peice about 60 X 60 X 5mm to use as a strike pad, saves using the top of the plate, I still do that and every time i need to clean it up (grind it clean) I think I must do that.:C

Gags_17
10th Apr 2007, 04:46 PM
Oh yeh ok roughly how much does it the steel o that size cost?can you recomend any steel suppliers around my way?ringwood is probably the furthest ill be able to go.Yeh then that way ican make half solid half grate :D cheers

yogie
10th Apr 2007, 08:06 PM
Oh yeh ok roughly how much does it the steel o that size cost?can you recomend any steel suppliers around my way?ringwood is probably the furthest ill be able to go.Yeh then that way ican make half solid half grate :D cheers

the steel should be a couple dollars a metre, no more, there should be a metalland in your area, but I doubt if they will cut to size, but look in your local yellow pages for a steel merchant that will cut to size for you, make sure the angle iron frame around the flat bar isnt higher than the grate so its level across it. Put a space of about 10 mm between each bar and go for it, Here's a real bad shot of my bench, might work not to sure but you should get the idea of what I'm trying say here. good luck

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/troopie87/IMG_3907.jpg

Gags_17
10th Apr 2007, 10:38 PM
Yeh ok ill keep that in mind alot of people Ive spoken to (not on the forum) have told me that steel is very expensive? Yeh i can see what you mean with the grate idea it looks pretty simple thanks for posting the pic:2tsup: Ill post a pic of my bench on here once Ive built it:D

Cliff Rogers
11th Apr 2007, 12:07 AM
I don't know too much about welding but I have done enough to know that if you are welding on a car or truck or tractor or some machinary with motors & electronics you should disconnect as much of it as you can, including the battery. (my understanding)

What happens if you make a folding metal welding work bench in your shed & connect it to the steel frame of the shed?

BobL
11th Apr 2007, 02:00 AM
I don't know too much about welding but I have done enough to know that if you are welding on a car or truck or tractor or some machinary with motors & electronics you should disconnect as much of it as you can, including the battery. (my understanding)

What happens if you make a folding metal welding work bench in your shed & connect it to the steel frame of the shed?

Nothing will happen, if your shed frame is grounded it may even be a safety feature.

Gags, Steel is not really that expensive but I just don't like at paying for stuff I can pick up from the side of the road or from the skip at work ar elsewhere. Occasionally I do buy specific stuff if I figure its going to save me a lot of time. It helps if you have a truck or van cos you can pick it up on the spot. Once I was getting some steel out of skip at a building site (for which I had obtained permission) and someone official looking came over and for a second I thought he was going to have a go at me but instead he told me that he had a pile of steel at home and did I want that as well?

Wood Butcher
11th Apr 2007, 09:07 AM
Another place to go to as well as BobL's suggestions is a scrap metal recycler. There is one in town that gets all the offcuts from metal fab shops which are sometimes really good sizes.

Gags_17
11th Apr 2007, 09:45 AM
Yeh thanks Ill definetly get onto that "dumspter divig":) Just recently we shifted away from a new estate and we wer probly a kilometre away from all the new houses goin up i used to ride there on my bike and steel wood all the time great fun:) funnily enough now i work in the building trade and i no how fustrating it is when somone has knocked off your wood and you have to wait around for the truck to deliver soe new stuff:oo: Im going out with mum again today so I will be on the prowl for some old bed frames

Tiger
8th Jul 2009, 10:58 AM
I figure that what my bench lacks is the hold all that Andy Mac has.

Andy, if you're out there can you or anyone else provide some details/info on what components you've used to build it?

Grahame Collins
8th Jul 2009, 12:58 PM
Um with the current running threw the bench if i touch it with welding gloves on will i get electricuted?How strong is the current that circulates threw the bench and workpiece?If the bench is massive will the welder n work aswell because so much electricity is running threw the bench?t

80 volts on AC for the GMC;For those with inverters or dc output 110 Volts but this is max out put for not more than a few seconds and then must drop to 80 volts-this was in a AS Code years ago but I have have forgotten the AS Code number.

If the equipment and PPE is in good condition your chances of being electrocuted are minuscule. If one takes all the common sense precautions the chances are nearly zero.

The size of bench has no relativity to the electrical current flowing through it.You would onlybe affected by this if your welding leads were very long, ie. your hand piece a long way from the welding machine.

In as far as the bench itself, a well thought out bench will make the future set up and welding of fabrications much easier.

Things to think about in building your bench:

Permanent or portable -weight comes into this.

The bench top height and width relative to your physique

The size relative to what you may be working upon.

The means to hold components against one another for tack up.

Positioning of various tools or aids needed in fabrication.perhaps a simple manipulator like Andy's tacked to the bench which can be removed if not needed

Cheers
Grahame

Grahame Collins
8th Jul 2009, 01:10 PM
I figure that what my bench lacks is the hold all that Andy Mac has.

Andy, if you're out there can you or anyone else provide some details/info on what components you've used to build it?

Mine is on castor wheels so as I can wheel it outside.
It is also the same height as other benches(also mobile) so I can set up long stuff.

My bench frame came fro scrap 50 box section and and a ex tafe thow away 900mm x 600mm weld bench top

I also have attachments such as a light weight manipulator for tig weld work based on a towball that screw on.

These sorts of things are developed down the track as you need them.

Grahame