PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln inverter 160 amp tig arc welder

Rossluck
31st Mar 2007, 09:08 PM
There is one of these on Ebay that I'm thinking about?
Lincoln electric inverter 160 amp tig arc welder

Has anyone experienced these? Should I buy it Grahame?

We may be moving to a place where there is no three-phase so I may have to sell my welders.

DJ’s Timber
31st Mar 2007, 09:14 PM
That sounds like the same as what I've got, mind you there are a few different options on the that model. Great little machine, plenty of punch when stick welding and tig is a joy to use

Grahame Collins
31st Mar 2007, 09:56 PM
Lincoln has the brand name and the back up, spareparts ,etc

I don't know much about the specific machine.

A way of finding out of any potential problems is to Google up the name ( Lincoln inverter etc ) and the word problems.

It might turn up something.

Its probably unlikely though as Lincoln generally makes good stuff. I have seen machines that are as old as me and still running well.
does that help
Grahame

Rossluck
31st Mar 2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for that. It all sounds pretty positive. A TIG and a stick welder might just suit me these days. I've gone off MIG a little. Mainly because it never feels like I'm gaining proper penetration. This is probably more to do with my ability than the welder, but still.

journeyman Mick
1st Apr 2007, 12:19 AM
...................We may be moving to a place where there is no three-phase so I may have to sell my welders.

And that whopping big edgebander.:;

Mick

Rossluck
1st Apr 2007, 09:03 AM
And that whopping big edgebander.:;

Mick

....and a 12HP rip saw with a feeder, and a horizontal panel saw, and a dust collector, and a small compressor and some three-phase motors. You'd better drop in when you come down Mick. You'd need a semi to get them home though.

journeyman Mick
1st Apr 2007, 12:24 PM
....and a 12HP rip saw with a feeder, and a horizontal panel saw, and a dust collector, and a small compressor and some three-phase motors. You'd better drop in when you come down Mick. You'd need a semi to get them home though.

You sure you really want to move?:o

Mick

Grahame Collins
1st Apr 2007, 12:47 PM
Hey Ross,

Something came to mind after I hit the send button last time.

That was to mention the ability of the inverter systems to weld at very low amps yet give a soft start. Your machine likely has stick ability as well as Tig ,so the following would apply.

An example of this would be when welding with a choke stick welder, say trying to tack two pieces of 3mm wire together.
A touch of the stick on the pieces to be joined virtually explodes the metal,leaving a gap between the two pieces.

Same materials with the inverter at low amps gives a soft start and perfect join. Also something I note that is much different from my old stick welder are tacks that wet ( fuse smoothly into the base metal) with out any observable undercuts .

As an old dinosauar from the stick transformer era I have observed quite different capabilities from these machines. My guess is that you will too.

Grahame

Rossluck
1st Apr 2007, 07:32 PM
Hey Ross,

Something came to mind after I hit the send button last time.

That was to mention the ability of the inverter systems to weld at very low amps yet give a soft start. Your machine likely has stick ability as well as Tig ,so the following would apply.

An example of this would be when welding with a choke stick welder, say trying to tack two pieces of 3mm wire together.
A touch of the stick on the pieces to be joined virtually explodes the metal,leaving a gap between the two pieces.

Same materials with the inverter at low amps gives a soft start and perfect join. Also something I note that is much different from my old stick welder are tacks that wet ( fuse smoothly into the base metal) with out any observable undercuts .

As an old dinosauar from the stick transformer era I have observed quite different capabilities from these machines. My guess is that you will too.

Grahame

I'll buy it if others don't take me into a bidding war. My favourite type of welding is TIG. Mainly because it's quiet and slow, penetration is good, you feel like you have control over the work, and when you lift the welding helmet the weld is closer to what you imagined it might be.

MIG welding rushes me. It lays on metal faster than I can control the weld, if you know what I mean.

Stick welding is good, and I have a beautiful old EMF 300 amp machine that everyone in the neighbourhood likes to use. But as we all know, you need a MIG or a TIG for small stuff.

Rossluck
1st Apr 2007, 07:39 PM
You sure you really want to move?:o

Mick

And it doesn't have a shed. :oo: But it is in a secluded place not far from where our kids go to school, and it has 5 acres and views to die for.:D

bsrlee
1st Apr 2007, 10:11 PM
That's - 'Doesn't have a shed YET'.

5 acres and 'Gold Coast' ?- that must be up the back a way, no dodgy landfill.

Rossluck
2nd Apr 2007, 07:13 PM
That's - 'Doesn't have a shed YET'.

5 acres and 'Gold Coast' ?- that must be up the back a way, no dodgy landfill.

The shed's plans and position and layout are forming in my head 24 hours a day.

It's near Beaudesert, which is a booming area. We want to escape the urban spread for a little while.

No landfill. Just cows. :)

Rossluck
3rd Apr 2007, 04:12 PM
I didn't buy the welder after all. I did some last minute research due to pre-purchase buyer's remorse, and discovered that while the seller had listed it as a 160 amp welder, the image indicated a 140 amp model. I think most will agree that the difference between a 140 amp welder and a 160 amp welder is more than just 20 amps. 160 is just enough grunt to start doing some heavy stuff.

I believe it was an honest mistake on the seller's part. I sent him an email as soon as I noticed the difference and he withdrew the welder from sale immediately.