PDA

View Full Version : OTC TIG Welder Info

nexusone
4th Mar 2007, 11:29 PM
Hi - a big ask I know, but will give it a try. I have an OTC 300P TIG Welder. Probably about 20 years old.

I'm wondering if anyone has access to a user manual I could arrange a copy or scan of.

At present it works fine on Aluminium, but it does not seem to have high frequency start on steel (DC). I'm not sure if it is defective, designed for scratch start or lift start. As it is a Japanese made machine there is very little info available over the web etc.

Here's hoping - Steve

Grahame Collins
5th Mar 2007, 07:42 PM
Hi Steve

You a have the makings of an excellent tig machine there. From memory I think they may been been one of the very first inverter welders. This is certainly pulse machine. I have only seen one and that was at the then, Darwin institute of Technology metal fab shop .This was between 1986 and 1990 .It may be a long shot ,but they may still have it and the manual.

Also you might try

[email protected]

That is OTC Europe.

They surely must be able to get you one

Grahame

nexusone
6th Mar 2007, 08:49 PM
Grahame - thanks for your response.

I emailed your suggested contact in the UK, and he reponded today. Thinks I should have high frequency on DC. He has refered my email to an Australian guy (from the address looks like Univeristy of Queensland).

I have also emailed MIGOMAG in Melbourne who also seem to be OTC agents. Have not yet had a response, but will call them if email not responded.

FYI a couple of weeks ago there were 2 OTC Tigs auctioned by Grays in Melbourne, looked similar to mine and went for $1300-$1500.

Also FYI - I currently TIG weld aluminium for a living. At work I use a Miller Synchro 250DX which is a great machine. We also have Lincoln Precision 375 (also excellent), Transtig 300s (good but less stable arc and getting old now), and one Kemppi 3500 which is good, but inverter based, very fiddly to set-up, and a bit "tinny" in terms of the arc. Unfortunatley the very old OTC is all I can afford for my private stuff at the moment.

Anyway - thought that might be useful background for anyone else thinking about TIG machines.

Grahame Collins
7th Mar 2007, 08:53 PM
I reckon the OTC's were the Rolls Royce of available tig welders at the time.
I will bet the old girl will surprise you when you get her fired up. Even then they had square wave supply and pulse.

What sort of Ali work do you do?
I am just getting into as a project for beer money when I do retire.

I am running a Fronius Magicwave AC /DC 1700 and am just beginning to understand the versatality of the machine.

There are plenty of blokes banging props into reefs and whatnot to keep me busy.

Grahame

nexusone
11th Mar 2007, 01:33 AM
My Aluminium welding is on sports bars, nudge bars, roo bars and the like.

Hope to do general ali work on the side. Any marketing tips?

Fronius have a good name, but I've never used one.

Steve

Grahame Collins
11th Mar 2007, 09:48 AM
Look for niche work that the pro guys don't do.
Specialized repair of marine or automotive /motorbike parts.

You can buy a kit to computer design and print a hundred business cards for around $20 at Officeworks.
Cards can be left with bike shops and machine shops.

Once you do a few quality jobs, word of mouth is the best tool you can have.

The Fronius is a high tech inverter job that I am still learning how to use. It is refined to the point where I can use HF and no one gets uptight about radio or tv interference as there is none. It can be rigged with a robot and do automated work.

Grahame