PDA

View Full Version : Know where I can get ornimental steel pieces to weld together ?

JDarvall
20th Feb 2007, 10:47 PM
Finding it hard to describe what I mean....

Pretty shore you can buy, say small pressed steel flowers....leaves....etc....ready to be welded together as you like. Uno, for making decrotive garden gates, or security bars.

Just weld them on. After which the whole lots spray painted black or whatever. I think it makes a nice look. Especially the wire bent in the shape of vines, with leaves and flowers.

Well, I'm after small pieces that maybe I can braze together....like little flowers around the size of a 20 cent piece. Hobby size I suppose.

Know of any place on the net that sells this sort of stuff ?

joe greiner
21st Feb 2007, 12:40 AM
Dunno about international sales, but these folks have a heap of wrought iron stuff; finials, numbers, probably some grape clusters and such:

http://resourceslimited.com/

I've bought some stuff from them, and I see the wife at garage sales now and then. Very pleasant to deal with.

Any architectural salvage dealers in your neck of the woods? Or not too far away? Likely a similar situation.

Joe

JDarvall
21st Feb 2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks Joe. I'll have a look.

squashedfrog1
21st Feb 2007, 09:32 AM
Joe,

Did you ever find anywhere, coz I'm looking for exactly the same thing. SWMBO wants a bathroom vanity, redgum slab top, decorative metal legs......sigh.

simso
21st Feb 2007, 09:47 AM
Most decent steel merchants sell these of the shelf, ready to make ballistrades of pool fences ect
Steve

squashedfrog1
21st Feb 2007, 09:51 AM
Aha! New Steel Merchants. Why didn't I think of that. I guess coz I source so much of my steel from the recyclers. Gawd I LOVE the recyclers!

forge
21st Feb 2007, 10:50 PM
Aha! New Steel Merchants. Why didn't I think of that. I guess coz I source so much of my steel from the recyclers. Gawd I LOVE the recyclers!

In Melbourne you can possibly try- http://www.melbournelacework.com.au/
If you wanted custom forgings ,contact me by pm i can put youin touch with some custom ornamental iron workers.:)

Grahame Collins
21st Feb 2007, 11:07 PM
Gday Apricot

If its those Fluer de leis and ornamental spearhead doovers that you tack weld on steel round tube or bar pickets, yes!

No dinky little flowers,the size of 20c pieces though.These suckers were 150 to 250 mm long.

Vel Nagle bros Blacksmiths, Gympie Road Chermside/ Aspley( Brisbane) area ,did in past times stock the very same.
Not having been back there in years the place could be well knocked down.

They did not seem the internet types. maybe a online phone directory check might unearth them?

Sorry mate best I could do.

Grahame

JDarvall
21st Feb 2007, 11:25 PM
Ta Grahame and everyone else for your thoughts.

Grahame Collins
22nd Feb 2007, 10:24 PM
A pic or two that may be more towards what you are looking for. The blurb says the U.S.builder got the suff from an ornamental steel supplier.

Possibly a rush of S**t to the brain but what about contacting some with a CNC plasma cutting machine. Some of the sheet metal shops and steel fabricators will have them in the bigger cities.If you can supply a sketch profile its just a matter of chucking it under the photo optic device. In 3 mm or so I can't see it costing a heap of $.

Grahame

JDarvall
22nd Feb 2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks Grahame. Sounds like a possibility.

I'm still a bit worried if there going to be made especially for me , that the price will be steep.

I was hoping for some common 'made by the thousands' sort of product. $2ea or something like.

An aquintance the other day, whose a artistic welder of sorts, came by with these metal roses to show.....maybe 3" long....pressed metal petals....all jointed together....up close it looked quickly made, but from arms length they really looked quite nice.

He's making up gates for a friend of ours, with them included in the design. $16 per rose he's charging. But it got me thinking that smaller versions may look nice in a cabinet.

Grahame Collins
22nd Feb 2007, 11:20 PM
Just found this then

http://www.artisticwroughtiron.com.au/hotstamp.htm

Grahame

JDarvall
22nd Feb 2007, 11:24 PM
Brilliant. Problem solved. Thankyou again Grahame. Owe you a favour.