PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so?

Sir Stinkalot
19th Jun 2003, 03:01 PM
Neil,

Why is it the case that when viewing "who's online" (which is a little like watching big brother) do so many of the guests remain stagnant on the main index?

It seems that on average 75% of the guests remain viewing the main index. Does this indicate that I send too much time on this board and not enough doing my work?

Stinky.

DaveInOz
19th Jun 2003, 03:16 PM
I read the forums - get back to the menu and minimise the window.
When I want I just pop it up and refresh.

This means most of the time I'm sitting on the menu.

and you are either working for yourself or are management :)

Sir Stinkalot
19th Jun 2003, 03:32 PM
That could be the case ... for registered members it only shows one page that they are viewing even if they have multiple windows open.

I am self employed but I have a regular contracted gig. I really should work more than I do :)

Stinky

Wood Borer
19th Jun 2003, 03:38 PM
Sir Stinkalot,

You are probably talking about people who have broadband access from home or work and don't bother to log off/out.

I would like to know if people with this habit can "clog" access to bulletin boards like this.

It could also be people like myself who become distracted by work (took me 5 mins to write this but interrupted by 3 phone calls).

Wood Borer

GeoffS
19th Jun 2003, 07:53 PM
Interesting point - I'm one of those who rarely logs out - it is quite difficult to find the 'log out' button. For a long time I didn't even know it existed!

Nuisance though if I do log out. Next time I come in it it lists all the 'new posts' since the last time I actually logged in after logging out. If I don't actually log out the next time I enter the site (not by logging in) I only get the new posts that I would expect.

Now, I don't keep a window open. I merely 'go away'.

Seems like there is something a little strange in how the board works. Some other boards automatically log you out if there is no activity - or others log you out after you have been logged in for a certain length of time.

More comments anyone

q9
20th Jun 2003, 01:55 AM
The http protocol that your browser uses to connect to this forum only gets pages from the server when you request it ie opening up the main window and going away it will send you the page once and thats it (unless you press refresh of course). You'll note that disconnecting the modem after a page is served doesn't affect your ability to read that page.

Logging out merely clears the cookie, meaning that the next time you log in, you'll have to enter your user name and password again. That's about it, you wont be "helping" the server logging out, nor clogging it by just sitting there looking at a page for 3 hours (your browser only gets it once).