PDA

View Full Version : Damascus/ironwood knife

ohno
7th Nov 2006, 10:25 AM
as promised long ago:

The handle is Lignum Vitae, the blade an unknown mild steel mix of around 175 layers, the rivets and guard are sterling silver. The sheath is bound leather. A tiny bit of cleaning up is needed but iam going to let this thing breath for a few weeks before looking at it again. :rolleyes:
Theres also potential for some sort of exotic stone to be set in near the base of the handle over the rivet in the 5th photo. I'll do some shopping around during the week:D .

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/doriangrey1/ds01a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/doriangrey1/ds02a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/doriangrey1/ds03a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/doriangrey1/ds04a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/doriangrey1/ds05a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/doriangrey1/ds06a.jpg

Clinton1
7th Nov 2006, 10:49 AM
luverly

really nice work

Andy Mac
7th Nov 2006, 10:56 AM
Real nice work, that handle is looking very comfortable.
However, I'm not convinved by the bent back guard at the top, looks a bit like an accident!:(
Any more to post pics of?

Cheers,

ohno
7th Nov 2006, 11:05 AM
Real nice work, that handle is looking very comfortable.
However, I'm not convinved by the bent back guard at the top, looks a bit like an accident!:(
Any more to post pics of?

Cheers,

Hehe. The original idea with the guard was to do more of a semi circular bend through the wood but ended up doing more of a 90 degree one. Purely a patience thing. :D

No other knife pics iam afraid. This is the first one o've made in about 15 years.

DJ’s Timber
7th Nov 2006, 12:04 PM
Very nice. Love the look of the steel

Zed
7th Nov 2006, 03:30 PM
and who do you plan to kill with this knife ? would not a kitchen knife be more practical ?

nice work - lovely in fact - but cant get past the fact that this implement is designed to kill things. I imagine in my head an inscription that sez "Mort Des Bosch".....

ptc
7th Nov 2006, 03:35 PM
Beautiful.
how do you get the pattern in the blade.?

ozwinner
7th Nov 2006, 03:45 PM
Beautiful.

This seller on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Damascus-Steel-Dagger-Knife-Blade-Blank-Billet-Making_W0QQitemZ250044914175QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43325QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)give a run down on damascus steel, pity they dont sell kitchen knive blanks as I would love to have a few in the kitchen.

Like Zed Zaid :p they are all for killing stuff with.

Al :)

ss_11000
7th Nov 2006, 04:07 PM
awesome looking handles.:cool: thanx for sharing

ohno
7th Nov 2006, 07:08 PM
Beautiful.

The blade is made from folded and layered metal mix. One of the metals used should be softer than the other so when you apply an acid etch it reveals patterns

ohno
7th Nov 2006, 07:13 PM
and who do you plan to kill with this knife ? would not a kitchen knife be more practical ?

nice work - lovely in fact - but cant get past the fact that this implement is designed to kill things. I imagine in my head an inscription that sez "Mort Des Bosch".....

Nah. Its just going to sit on a shelf. I dont even really need a kitchen knife. As a vegitarian i dont really need much in the way of heavy duty knives.

Its purely an object

Zed
8th Nov 2006, 05:56 PM
Nah. Its just going to sit on a shelf. I dont even really need a kitchen knife. As a vegitarian i dont really need much in the way of heavy duty knives.

Its purely an object

tell that to the guy in whos guts it sits when society collapses - you realise this thing will outlive us all ? (the blade anyway....)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th Nov 2006, 06:13 PM
This seller on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Damascus-Steel-Dagger-Knife-Blade-Blank-Billet-Making_W0QQitemZ250044914175QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43325QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)give a run down on damascus steel, pity they dont sell kitchen knive blanks as I would love to have a few in the kitchen.

Like Zed Zaid :p they are all for killing stuff with.

AKS (www.knivesaustralia.com.au) sell variously sized billets of good quality damascene steel. All sorts of folding patterns, too, from Haakapella through Odin's Eye to Muhammeds Ladder type patterns. The prices are steepish, but waddya ecpect for quality gear? ;) Make for an expensive kitchen set, but what a conversation piece!

Oh... and they're not all for killing things, some are for gutting, skinning or just plain slice'n'dicing 'em after the slaughter. :p

holmsy2000
14th Nov 2006, 03:10 PM

i cant beleive someone is actually stupid enough to make a statement like this(if its a joke i apologise)
Its made of damascus you fool i doubt if i've ever seen a damascus knife used for much more than cutting open a package or two, and more often than not they sit on a shelf like the peice of ART that they are.

brett

holmsy2000
14th Nov 2006, 03:20 PM
woops, forgot to coment on the knife,
all in all i like it ohno. the handle shape is really awesome, with great looking curves, and i like that curved plunge area on the top of the blad. The guard seems squarer than im used to but its not really a user so i guess its more about looks and it does look pretty good, and i like that little fold of guard on the spine, its a nice little touch that adds to the creative look of the knife.
really cool patern in the blade too, i assume its from one of those indian makers on ebay? its a shame its not high carbon or it would make a really ice gentlemans folder or side knife.

Brett

Zed
14th Nov 2006, 08:00 PM
Holmsey, you wanker, if I may call you that; Sod off.

I was refering to the shape and the apparent "useability" of the implement. What use is a knife with the shape it is except gutting the intestines of a butchered beast (inc. humans) by a Gurkha, ninja or terrorist? as I said better to make a kitchen knife or a marking knife.

FYI : Damasacus steel has been around for a longer time than the inverse of your IQ, the prime reason for the manufacture of it was so it would shear thru bones without blunting/chipping. Incidentally it was developed in ASia and Mid East independantly over many seperate centuries - we are good a killing eachother, if you think that a knife like that will spend its eternity in a glass case please refer to my first sentance.

No I wasnt joking - there are enough mechanisms to maim eachother around without another "beautiful one" (Ever seen a Damascan Katana ? Now there is a seriously beautiful bone cutter.)

FWIW it is a fantastic knife.

holmsy2000
14th Nov 2006, 09:55 PM
yes i do think that knife will sit on a shelf for its entire life, it apears to have been made as an art knife and the maker said it was made as an art knife. there are knives around that sell for 10's of thousands of dollars many in more threatening shapes than that one, would you call those implements of death?
and i think you will find that damascus was originally developed because of a need to work carbon in to regular iron, and as a result of the many fold made by the smith there were locations with more carbon then others which resulted in the pattern when the blade was highly polised.

brett

Zed
15th Nov 2006, 09:32 AM
there are knives around that sell for 10's of thousands of dollars many in more threatening shapes than that one, would you call those implements of death?.

brett

yes I would.

holmsy2000
15th Nov 2006, 10:01 AM
i feel sorry for you zed, im amazed that you have such a bleak outlook on life that you think everyone is out to kill each other.
you dont seem to be against knives alltogether because you recomednded he make a kitchen knife, perhaps you should search the internet for the amount of stabbings involving kitchen knives.

i guess we will just have to agree to dissagree

brett

Andy Mac
15th Nov 2006, 11:01 AM
Seems the discussion has drifted into uncomfortable territory! I guess there is always an element of dangerous beauty inherent in a well made knife, and that relationship can be unsettling.
By the maker's own admission the piece is for display, but the shape itself suggests to me skinning, and for larger beasts, not rabbits! There is nothing evil or pathological about the act of skinning, quite constructive I would think. You get clean meat and useable hide. But I come from the country, grew up on a farm where meat was killed then dressed by us before it hit the table. I still do the odd chook, recently dressed a goat (yummy curry) and I have some hares around that I would rather enjoy skinning:rolleyes:. Nasty rose and seedling eating varmints.
Knives come in all sorts of shapes for differing purposes, much like chisels or saws, and to equate any given knife other than a kitchen or marking knife with mayhem is plain ludicrous, sorry Zed. (Is there such a thing as knifophobia!!:p ) Maybe things are seen differently in the big smoke, but I carry a pocket knife on my belt every day, at home or going to work in town (ie. a small city).
So for my mind this beautiful knife of Ohno's is not a killing weapon per se, although it could be turned to such, as could a kitchen knife, a screwdriver, a hammer or a car:eek: .

Take it easy,

holmsy2000
15th Nov 2006, 11:05 AM
couldn't have put it better myself andy.
unfortunately as a semi profesional knife maker i take great offence to some of the comments made by ZED ad got a little heated.
brett

Zed
15th Nov 2006, 07:13 PM
dontcha just love how we live in a democracy and its ok to disagree ?

ohno
16th Nov 2006, 07:06 PM
dontcha just love how we live in a democracy and its ok to disagree ?

Do you eat meat?

Ashore
18th Nov 2006, 01:41 AM
Holmsey, you wanker, if I may call you that; Sod off.

After reading all the posts I can only say that Zed you have a problem you look at a knife handle and come to the conclusion that it will be used for killing and gutting, then abuse the poster Holmsey by calling him a wanker.
You need to get real and in touch with reality
After 2000 posts I have never seen the need to give any one a RED though I have recieved a few you being the most profiicent but your post to Holmsey I found disgusting and the most deserving of a RED in all my time on this forum you have your views sir but to call another member a wanker and to tell him to sod off because your views differ when he has produced a work of art makes me ask why.

Studley 2436
18th Nov 2006, 05:11 AM
It is a beautiful knife. Pretty threatening thing to look at but that's part of it's beauty.

Was interested to see the Damascus blades on ebay. What would be really lovely would be to get the Damascus Laminated blades the Japanese do. I have a couple that I bought complete. A Chef's Knife a Fish Knife and a Sashimi Knife. The Chef's knife is about 35cm and reasonably light, great for vegetables and thin slicing. The Japanese use this one to shred cabbage, because it is single bevel and thinner than a western chefs knife you can really shred or slice fine.

Fish knife is a heavy 20cm blade as it is used in part as a cleaver again single bevel

Sashimi knife is middle weight single bevel 25cm and turns up at the end. Gives you nice straight cuts when you are turning tuna sections into little pieces that you put on sushi.

Anyway back to Steel. What I know from chasing up Japanese Plane blades is that they are folded back on themselves to remove impurities. The Smith works over a charcoal or coal fire in his forge which introduces carbon to the steel. The plane blades are laminated as were the old Swords and the Kitchen knives now. The advantage being that you can have a really hard edge but support it with softer tougher steel to give you the benefits of both steels.
Studley

Ashore
18th Nov 2006, 11:17 AM
The Smith works over a charcoal or coal fire in his forge which introduces carbon to the steel.
I believe from what I have read that the introduction of nitrogen from this process into the steel also assisted in the hardening process.