PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to cut with an arc welder?

sprices
27th Oct 2006, 12:55 PM
Hi- having to cut some shapes out of a stack of corrugated iron.- far too much to do by hand snips and the curves are too sharp for grinding. Is it possible to use an arc to cut the iron, or better to hire an oxy.
I've used an arc a bit many years ago, but haven't ever used an oxy?
Steve:confused:

Stuart
27th Oct 2006, 01:45 PM
Oxy would be much better than arc - especially on thin stuff, but you can get arc rods specific for cutting (exothermic cutting rods). They are very aggressive.

What about a nibbler - fits to your drill and can cut very precise shapes, tight curves etc. Can be bought from bunnies,
http://www.mgocaccessories.co.uk/acatalog/Z067.jpg
and sounds more suitable to your task. You can also get pneumatic ones.

http://www.toolpeddler.com/images/ir325.JPG

DJ’s Timber
27th Oct 2006, 02:22 PM
I would go with the nibbler.
An arc or oxy would generate to much heat and buckle your sheets. Also depending on what the sheets are made from, the heat from the oxy or arc will make alot of dangerous fumes

wack
27th Oct 2006, 03:30 PM
Hi sprices ,if have the amps (160A maby) you could use a gouging electrode. Something like a 2.5mm UTP 85 would do it . As long as its ferrous theres no probs on what material is . It may cause a little distortion and be a little bit rought, but if you alowed for it you may be able to just grind it back .... or a cabon arc but that needs a compressor and the hand piece , the gougers are just electrods and you local welding supply place should have some , just a thought

sprices
28th Oct 2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the advice - have been thinking of a nibbler or power metal shears as better alternitives too.
Steve

soundman
28th Oct 2006, 08:24 PM
YEH you can cut sheet metal with an arc welder........:D :D .... a mate of mine tried it at one stage. but its realy realy uggly and hot stuff goes everywhere.:eek: :eek:

Tightly button you collar and pour a jug of water down you jocks first:D :eek: :eek: :D .
Uise the bigest rod yor welder will take and crank the amps all the way up.

you will be just blowing holes.

realy nasty, not recomended and definitely a fire hasard.

I'm having a good laugh just at the thaught of this bloke trying to shake sparks out of his jocks.:D :D :D :D

but it does work.

Seriously there has to be an easier way..... its called a plasma cutter.

cheers

Ivan in Oz
28th Oct 2006, 09:03 PM
I'm having a good laugh just at the thaught of this bloke trying to shake sparks out of his jocks.:D :D :D :D

cheers

I've seen the result of Slag down a Boot..................:(
NOT GOOD!!!!

Actually, heaps of water down the Boot was the best cure.
By the time one has removed their boot,
The damage is done; the Slag has lost its heat to ones FLESH:mad: :mad:
3rd Degree burns, which most often Ulcerate and / or go Septic to some degree

Arc weld [CUTTING] is BS as far as I'm concerned

watson
28th Oct 2006, 09:44 PM
Love this stuff!
A nibbler or a plasma cutter is the definite safe recommendation, but if you really want it done in a hurry, with an aereonautical display of pyrotechnics, soak some 2.5mm rods in water overnight....rack up the amps...and go for it!
Won't be accurate....you will need fire precautions...but it will cut.
Please pretend it wasn't me that posted this....but I've cut 6mm plate in an emergency using this method.

Regards,
I wish I was anonamous! (where's the spell checker??)

clanger
30th Oct 2006, 08:46 PM
yep you can cut with a arc welder but on thin gauge stuff its best to use a nibbler or something because its messy and not very accurate . ive also cut thinck steel when i was in a paddock and run out of oxygen to cut with , so used the arc welder had it at over 200 amps blowing holes ina excavator bucket to weld a patch in . wasnt very neat but got the job done . i had little burn holes everywhere . :eek: