PDA

View Full Version : Inverter for sheet metal?

marz1
29th Aug 2006, 04:57 PM
Hi i hope someone can answer my question.
i am fairly good at using an arc and mig welder in most situations.
i sometimes need to weld sheet metal on cars, i was wondering if an inverter welder would weld thin sheet metal, the arc welder tends to make it too hot and blow holes.
i cant afford a mig welder and then the extrta for a bottle of gas.

i havent been able to fing this info anywhere.

cheers

silentC
29th Aug 2006, 05:07 PM
Don't know if it helps but we used an inverter welder to weld 2.0mm gal. It distorts badly though.

You might be better brazing. You could try one of those MAPP gas guns.

Barry_White
29th Aug 2006, 05:29 PM
Most panelbeaters use oxy/acetelene for fixing panels. Fine tips and plain wire.

Also you would pay for an inverter welder for what you would pay for a small handy mig.

Mick C.
29th Aug 2006, 07:30 PM
A MIG is your only option. OXY in panel beating, other than for shrinking and a few other jobs, is seldome used for actual welding, unless you are talking about from years ago before the availability of affordable MIG welders.The buckle you can get from a few spots with a MIG ( if you're not carefull ) can be bad enough, but put all that heat from an OXY onto a panel and you are in a world of trouble, even more so with the very thin panels of today, rather than something from an FJ Holden or old Chevy. Hope that helps. Go and try and find yourself a 2nd hand mig and a roll of 0.6mm wire.

Barry_White
29th Aug 2006, 08:33 PM
Here you go have a look here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SIP-Gasless-Mig-Welder-Great-shape-Pick-up-welcome_W0QQitemZ260025870048QQihZ016QQcategoryZ11774QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem