PDA

View Full Version : mig welder

black1
11th Jul 2006, 03:03 PM
im looking at buyin a gasless mig welder. what brands are there available in aust. cig $495 from bunnies or maybe this one as its made in italy http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-GASLESS-100AMP-MIG-WELDER-WELDING-TOOL-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ160005286050QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any one got any suggestions????

Mick C.
11th Jul 2006, 10:46 PM
Buy as good as you can absolutely afford!!! Any good welder will do innershield, you only have to reverse the polarity on the output terminals. But a welder thats annoying to use will have you never wanting to use it ever, and i'd be looking at the current verses duty cycle it is capable of, nothing worse than wanting to weld and having to wait for the welder to cool down while your running out of patience...... :)

Wood Butcher
11th Jul 2006, 10:57 PM
Any good welder will do innershield

Mick, I presume you mean gasless welding?

Mick C.
11th Jul 2006, 11:03 PM
YES!, To do gasless mig, you still need to have the arc and puddle shielded from the air, usually done by the gas, but with gasless mig you use a special wire, Innershield, you dont need gas! the wire itself contains a flux of sorts, thats responsible for the shielding. :)

black1
12th Jul 2006, 02:49 PM
thanks for the info:cool:

tcns
12th Jul 2006, 07:52 PM
What do you want to weld ??

Personally that one off ebay I wouldn't buy - it looks cheap and junky, it won't have a propper liner in the hand piece, and you won't have much of pentration when welding steel - you will be limited in what you can build.

Depending on what you want to do you should go and look at the unimig or cigweld range at trade tools or glenfords or similar.

I would expect to buy a gas and gassless mig 175 amp.

When you are starting out it is easier to weld when you have a better unit with a propper liner and gas with 175amp + it will be easier to make the metal stick together :)

I have a 3 phase 300amp in the shed for easily sticking steel together and working in the shed,

However I am going to get a small portable stick for welding fences or posts on the houses etc.

Tom