PDA

View Full Version : WantedToolex mig welder instruction book

johncee1945
31st May 2006, 07:51 PM
Hi can any one assist with a photocopy of a Toolex 160N mig welder instruction book, please?

The second hand welder I purchased came with no book and I am not that proficient at welding. I have tried for some months by going around the local welding shops to no avail. Regards

glock40sw
31st May 2006, 08:25 PM
G'day.
Give Gasweld a call.
They sell Toolex migs.
They may be able to fax you a copy of the manual.

Grahame Collins
1st Jun 2006, 09:24 AM
Hi John.
I don't have any manual for your machine but perhaps may be able to help you just the same.
I am not familiar with a Toolex Mig but the following layout is common to many mig units
The machines typically have a the following controls on the front panels to enable variations to the power settings.
You should have a rotary switch to provide wire speed. Less wire speed equals fewer amps and turning the switch around to its max gives greater amps.This switch should have a good number of graduations marked on it ,say 10 or so.

The other switch/ or switches are the voltage control,the heat input to the arc. The are are usually stepped off the transformer turns and therfore only limited in adjustment to the number of steps provided .Voltage control switches are usually marked so there are low/high switch settings setting with usually a secondary switch with 1 and 2 marked on them.

Keep the plate to be welded shiny clean and keep your gun cable straight as possible would be extra tips that I would offer.If you slow down the wire speed by imposing a friction load ( a looped gun cable ) you automatically reduce your amps setting.Keep the wire stickout from contact tip to work very short, say 10 to 15mm long.
If you are to get the machine running ok it requires a presence of mind to follow the requirements necessary to produce good mig welding.

Push the gun - don't drag it- wherever possible.
Keep the contact tip in good nick-they do wear and arc out,repalce frequently
Keep the gas nozzle clean of spatter.
Keep your area where your earth clamp attaches clean.Keep your wire spool clean of rust and contaminants -rust or grinding dust settling on it.
Try these they may help
Grahame

bez
8th Jul 2006, 04:13 PM
Hi can any one assist with a photocopy of a Toolex 160N mig welder instruction book, please?

The second hand welder I purchased came with no book and I am not that proficient at welding. I have tried for some months by going around the local welding shops to no avail. Regards

Hi, The TOOLEX 160N is an SIP machine, if you don't have any luck with Gasweld try J.W.Ross in Sydney , they are the importers/agents for these machines. I don't think the manual will tell you much. The best bit of advice you can get is read Grahame Coliins' posts on here. He is very knowledgeable about welding processes and very helpful. (Both things that are rare in this industry). Once you have learnt to weld, if you start to use the machine regularly my only piece of advice is buy a good machine. If you aren't going to use it much it will suffice. One hint, you will probably get wire feed problems if it has been sitting idle for a while, the inner liner (conduit) of the mig gun will probably need replacing. These machines have lousy wire feed systems and the arc is very rough (lots of spatter).

mikeyk
9th Oct 2006, 01:35 AM
I too am looking for an instruction bool for the toolex welder .... I understand the book may not tell much, maybe someone here can help ...
I was welding the other day and the wire feed just stopped. Now it won't run at all. The lead is clear (I can push wire manually up the spout) but it won't run at all.
Any ideas?

glock40sw
10th Oct 2006, 02:42 PM
G'day.
Check the trigger and trigger wiring in the hand piece.

The drive wheel is not slipping on the drive shaft.
The drive motor may be cactus.

mikeyk
10th Oct 2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks Trevor,

I've checked the trigger, seems okay. Wire wasn't slipping in the drive wheel, checked that too. The drive wheel is really hard to turn manually, so I think that indicates your final suggestion :-(
I might get along to Gasweld (as previously suggested to John) and see about a manual, and maybe if they are interested in looking at the machine to replace the drive motor.
Thanks for you time in suggesting fixes :-)

mikey

Sprog
11th Oct 2006, 03:36 PM
The MIG welder forum might be worth a look at.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

migbbj
28th Oct 2008, 06:22 PM
G'day.
If you have no wire feed drive check fuse to printed circuit card that drives wire feeder.
Generally wire feeder motors rarely burn out as they do not work very hard.

You may have no power to circuit card from transformer generaly this ia about 30 Volt AC.
Use multi meter to check.

Hope this helps.

John