PDA

View Full Version : which mig?

mako
7th May 2006, 07:06 PM
Hi guys. I am looking to purchase a mig welder but not quite sure what to get. I have been using the old mig at work (farming industry) for years and can do a reasonable job with my welds, and want to get one for home. I will be using it to build a trailer, and possibly more if they turn out ok and i can sell them. I cant affort to spend thousands but at the same time i dont want to buy anything crap. Any tips?

glock40sw
7th May 2006, 07:34 PM
G'day

See previous threads regarding Mig Welders (there is heaps).

mako
7th May 2006, 07:39 PM
I was more looking for advise on good and bad brands. there seems to be lots of 'cheap' branded welders and not sure if they are rubbish or worth lookng at. cheers.

Mick C.
8th May 2006, 07:06 PM
I have a WIA 150 and it does a great job even on larger stuff! and it occasionally has 0.9mm wire in it with no trouble. Am also a fan of Mig-o-Mag machines, and have also used these for some time with no trouble. I have heard good and bad stories about CIG machines, but maybe some of that is preference, but i also have been called on a few times to fix these machines.

The long and the short is stick with a KNOWN brand and dont expect to get it for peanuts. I think even my small WIA in over $1200 now, i paid less than $1000 for it 4 years ago.

Andy Mac
8th May 2006, 07:46 PM
I agree with Mick, stick to a good brand, despite the $$. BOC?CIG should be good but higher end of the market. I've got a WIA 175 and very happy with it, and it's an Australian company. They've gone up a similar amount in the couple of years since I bought it, but changed the layout a bit.

Cheers,

China
8th May 2006, 11:21 PM
Mako follow the golden rule if your planing to use it for commercial reasons "you get what you pay for"