PDA

View Full Version : Macabee Bridge, MkII

Bodgy
3rd May 2006, 10:07 AM
I built this bridge, over our creek, a few years ago. All was fine until the idiot child had a party (for about 100 of her closest friends) and half the Knox under 17 pack sat on a rail. Rail broke and due to the cantilever design the bridge main left beam sagged.

Just spent a couple of days re-inforcing the main two bearers and hand rail supports. I still need to stiffen the long hand rails with steel angle underneath.

Hardest thing was to take the bow out of the left main beam. Eventually got most out by placing a piece of heavy 100 x 100mm box steel where hand rail is and clamping from this to below main beam. Luckily I have some old sash? clamps that weigh about 30 kilos and were up to the job.
Unfortunately the bridge has to be un-supported in the centre, as when we get a Southerly this innocent little creek becomes Niagara rapids. Any post holding the centre beams would clag with debris and the whole lot would shoot off downstream.

That happened to the previous bridge, it was just flat, hence the raising of the central walkway.

Planks are 50mm hardwood, finished with diesel and old sump oil below and linseed and turps 50/50 on top, as are the hand rails.

No close up photos, as some of the welds could be seen as a bit agricultural.

All main beams are galvanised, which made the welding a bit tedious. Hours on the grinder cutting thru the zinc along the weld lines.

Interesting how much damage teenagers can cause, if the Idiot Child, and her friend's, romantic inclinations were limited to poets or hairdressers, not big, boofy thugs, all would have been well.

Metal Head
5th May 2006, 12:18 PM
Nice work Bodgy - not the bridge over troubled water S&G sang about!!.