PDA

View Full Version : Helicoils (insertable threads)

CameronPotter
1st May 2006, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I just want to give a plug to helicoils.

I just fixed a stripped aluminium fitting for my bandsaw guides and they seem to have worked a treat.

I talked to the guy in the workshop about them and he said that he has also used them for fibreglass and other things. So basically, these are stainless steel thread inserts.

Good idea and something I will have to get in the future.

Cheers

Cam

Ashore
1st May 2006, 12:18 PM
They are a good unit, the only problem is if there isn't enough material around the tapped hole you are repairing.
Sometimes its easier & cheeper just to drill & tap the hole out to the next size up , but if you need to use the same size thread then they become indispensible as the only alternative is to weld, braze or fill the hole then accurately re-drill and tap.

Rgds

pau1
1st May 2006, 12:54 PM
We used to use them on our go-Kart engines head bolts. They wear out from the vibrations, whack in a few helicoils and problem fixed. Definately very handy.

Rossluck
1st May 2006, 01:49 PM
There's another method I discovered the other day. It's a two-pack filler that you pump into the hole before inserting the bolt coated with a supplied protective coating. After five minutes you unscrew the bolt to let the two-pack (now with thread) harden completely. I haven't tried it yet, but it strikes me that IF IT WORKS it'll solve two problems that you sometimes encounter with helicoils: The one mentioned by Ashore, and the difficulty you sometimes have finding the right sized helicoil.

glock40sw
1st May 2006, 04:37 PM
Where do you get this 2 pack stuff from?

CameronPotter
1st May 2006, 04:56 PM
Rossluck,

I haven't tried using 2-pack (epoxy I assume you mean) for this, but I would think that it would be very brittle.

Still, if it works, that would be great.

Cam

Rossluck
1st May 2006, 06:19 PM
Where do you get this 2 pack stuff from?

Sorry about the delay. I bought it from Super Cheap Auto in their gasket goo, silicone, threadlock and so on section. It's made by Permatex and is simply called "Stripped Thread Repair". It's made in the US and contains 2 syringes of repair compound (#1 & #2), a bottle of release agent (the stuff that coats the bolt), a spatula and an instruction sheet. As I said I haven't tried it.

Another good product that I found there was high-temp silicone gasket maker for exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipe crossovers. Now that's serious high temp stuff. The makers, DynaGrip, claim it can handle 343 degees C.

I'm starting to feel like I'm doing an ad. now. :eek: I can assure you I have no connections ....

Tankstand
1st May 2006, 07:18 PM
The 2 pack stuff sounds great but it might be arkward to use anywhere other than a blind hole?

My 2 thumbs up for Helicoils, been using them off and on for a while.

Stuart
1st May 2006, 08:32 PM
Helicoils? Stripped the sparkplug threads out of head on a motorcycle I was reconditioning when I was 16. A helicoil so saved me! This was a single cylinder 250cc engine.

Mick C.
2nd May 2006, 06:54 PM
^You can also get another variation, i think its called a Key Insert ????? Which is a threaded sleeve, it has thread on the inside and outside, you drill the correct size hole and tap a thread in it ( std size thread rather than that of a helicoil) then screw in the insert and tap/hammer the little Keys down, they lock the outer of the insert to the item being repaired. Lots stronger than a helicoil, but do need a lot more material to be able to be used.

Here it is.

http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.cfm/27825071F0B221118070C1C513E111D081B0006280B1713050245221E0107070F1A3C3B285356445A

:)

Squirrel
5th May 2006, 10:11 PM
Helicoils are great, used them when I was in the trade. Now that I need them I don't have a ready supply. They are very expensive for that one of job. I did try the two pack stuff, not impressed. It just crumbled away and did not bind well, even though I cleaned a preped the hole as best I could.:cool: