PDA

View Full Version : WIP Cyclone

Pages : [1] 2

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 01:44 AM
After being on my to do list for several years,:eek: I Finally pulled my finger out and started work on building a Bill Pentz Designed Cyclone. Hopefully this thread will help inspire other members on this forum that have been wanting to build a cyclone.;)
I printed out the plans from Bills Site and then set about working out how I was going to build it. :confused: After working out my dimensions for each piece of the cyclone I found that I was going to need more than one 1220mm X 2440mm (8’ x 4’) sheet to build the cyclone.
I purchased two 1220mm X 2440mm (8’ x 4’) 24 gauge gal sheets more than enough for the cyclone but I will use up the left over gal making other bits and pieces for the pipework intallation,
I decided that I would make a pattern of the cone on paper first and then lay it onto the gal sheet as this will make it easy to minimize the waste of material. Once it was all marked out I cut out the cone with my tin snips, (24gauge gal is easy to cut with tin snips) :D

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 01:46 AM
After cutting the cone I marked out the inlet and outlet pieces also the collar for the bottom of the cone. Then onto the second 1220mm X 2440mm (8’ x 4’) sheet for the upper cylinder and air ramp, I then marked out for the rectangle to round transition that goes onto the inlet. With the off cut material I cut out a 90 deg Lobster bend and a 45 deg branch which I will require when installing the pipe work from the cyclone.

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 01:51 AM
Next I cut out two wooden rings so that I can mount the blower motor to. I needed to make some metal flange rings (Minor change to Bills Cyclone plans) so that I can join the cone and upper cylinder together. I had a 1220mm X 2440mm (8’ x 4’) sheet of 16 gauge mild steel doing nothing except rusting which would do the job.:D I dragged it out and onto stands, As this sheet is heavy I decided to cut it into a smaller more manageable size, After marking it out I grabbed my $5 budget beater jigsaw :D that I picked up a garage sale years ago and put in a metal cutting blade so that I could cut through the sheet. After I cut out the metal rings I drilled the holes for the bolts and removed all the rust before painting.

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 01:53 AM
Next was the rolling and folding of the pieces, which helps if you know someone that has a sheetmetal shop. ;) A few spot welds to hold the pieces together. Next job was installing the Cyclone inlet, as you can see I made some cuts approx 10mm apart on the top and bottom laps before bending on the line with some pliers, after bending the Front, Top and bottom laps I slid in the cyclone inlet where I dabbed some solder to hold it in place.

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 01:56 AM
Next job was to solder all the way around the cyclone inlet, I also did a bit of a dry fit with the lower cone.:D I still have to install the Air ramp, that Should be some fun!!:eek: :D

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 01:59 AM
While I am building the cyclone I wanted to make a test piece of a 45 deg branch to see how well the patterns that I drew up on paper fitted together before making any more. I still need to crimp the ends so that it can slid inside the pipework but I am happy with how it fit together.

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 02:02 AM
I also made a test piece of a 90 deg Lobster bend this also fit together ok, I guess I just got lucky. :D I also plan to replace the 4” dust ports with 6” dustports on the Tablesaw, jointer, and thicknesser,

Wood Butcher
27th Apr 2006, 07:38 AM
WOW. that is really impressive work Al!!

Can't wait to see how it goes when its all hooked up.

zenwood
27th Apr 2006, 12:17 PM
Very impressed with the accuracy of your cutouts and how well they fit together. You've got some skills that I'd like to have.

Mine relied on eyework and lots of sealer.:o

Bob38S
27th Apr 2006, 01:42 PM
Looks really great - keep us up to speed please.
Bob

bitingmidge
27th Apr 2006, 01:46 PM
Al,

How did you make the curvy flangy-stop things on the lobster bend, or are my eyes just playing tricks?

cheers,

P

BarryBurgess
27th Apr 2006, 04:53 PM
I also made a test piece of a 90 deg Lobster bend this also fit together ok, I guess I just got lucky. :D I also plan to replace the 4” dust ports with 6” dustports on the Tablesaw, jointer, and thicknesser,

I went to an Air conditioning /heating supplier and was able to get a 90 pressed bend for less than AU$30 so it was not worth making

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 08:53 PM
Today I fitted the Air ramp, I Thought this was going to be tricky to get right but was surprised at how well it fit. Another minor change I made to the Air ramp to what was on the plan is I added 6mm flange's on both the inner and outer sides to make it easier to solder to the inner and outer cylinders.
I started by attaching the Air ramp to inlet pipe with a couple of pop rivets then once I was happy with the position of the air ramp I tacked it with solder to the main upper cylinder, I rechecked again to make sure that nothing had moved, once I was happy I completely soldered the outer side of the Air ramp to main upper cylinder. I then slide in the centre outlet cylinder into position and tacked the inner side of the Air ramp to this. I again rechecked to make sure that alignment was Ok before completely soldering the inner side of Air ramp after this was done I ran a bead of silicone on the opposite sides of the air ramp. I then screwed in the ply ring at the top of the main upper cylinder and bolted the cyclone cone to the main upper cylinder.
Next Job will be to make a frame to mount the Cyclone up.

Al B
27th Apr 2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks Guys for your kind words,

How did you make the curvy flangy-stop things on the lobster bend, or are my eyes just playing tricks?

Midge, your eyes are OK. :D The metal has been swaged on one side, what this basicaly does is stretch the metal slightly so that one end slides into the other. I've taken a close up so you can see the join a little better.

bitingmidge
27th Apr 2006, 10:25 PM
Phew! Thanks for the eye diagnosis! :D

So do you need a sheet metal shop to swage like that, or is there a simple tool that can be borrowed?

Cheers,

P

China
27th Apr 2006, 11:39 PM
And I thought I was catchin up with my to do list

Al B
28th Apr 2006, 12:33 PM
Midge heres a pic of what a swage/Jenny tool looks like. It clamps onto a workbench.

bitingmidge
28th Apr 2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks Al,

Looks like I'm going to have to befriend a sheetmetal worker!

cheers,

P

Ironwood
27th Jul 2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Al,
i've got a few questions about your cyclone build.

1- what type of soldering iron/gun are you using?

2- is that resin cored solder you are using?

3- have you got it up and running yet?

Thanks in advance for any answers,
Brad.

Al B
30th Jul 2006, 05:48 PM
Brad, appologies for the delay in answering.

1- what type of soldering iron/gun are you using?
I started off using a Birko soldering iron but found that it was cooling down after a while of soldering, as I had another 25W soldering iron I also used that and alternated between the two which worked out well.

2- is that resin cored solder you are using?
Yes - I had some 2mm and some 1mm resin cored solder which I used for the soldering, I brushed on some Hydrochloric acid onto the joint prior to soldering it and when the joint was finished, I cleaned the finished joint with a rag and water.

3- have you got it up and running yet?
Not Yet, havent had a lot of shed time lately but am hoping to get back into it in the next 4 to 5 weeks. I will do an update when I resume work on the cyclone.

Al B
12th Aug 2006, 12:10 AM
I had some spare time today so decided that I would mount my cyclone up, I went and purchased some 40mm x 40mm angle iron from the steel merchant (cost for 1 length was $18.50) more than enough to make the frame.
Once the frame was finished I thought I would give it a coat of paint prior to mounting it and attaching the cyclone to it.
While the paint was drying I attached the MDF ring to the blower and did a test fit to the cyclone. I also finished of the lobster bend I had and made a spigot for the blower outlet hose to attach to as it is going outside the shed.
When the paint was dry I mounted the frame up followed by the cyclone. I placed rubber pads between the cyclone and the frame to help minimise vibration noise.
My next job will be to make the ducting, transition pieces, etc going to equipment and make a bin for the bottom of cyclone.

Ironwood
12th Aug 2006, 08:52 AM
looking good Al, I love the look of that elbow you made. have you decided what you will use for the bin yet? I got my drum with the clamp on lid at the drum recyclers for $35, they bring these over with a plastic bag full of fruit juice inside, from China. it looks to be a little bit smaller than a 200 litre drum, (maybe 180?) a bit lighter also

Al B
17th Aug 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks Ironwood,
As for the bin design I would love to use a drum like what you have used but as I only have about 750mm height clearance under the cyclone, I am thinking about making up a rectangle bin on wheels.

Al B
30th Aug 2006, 11:15 PM
While I was looking at building the cyclone I also looked at several different layouts for the positioning of the cyclone and the ductwork so that it would work in with the locations of the equipment and also allow some flexibility if required.

From the plan I had, I made up a list of all the bits and pieces of ductwork that I would need to make. I made up some patterns on some paper before transferring them onto the sheet metal. Good thing I did as I found that I had incorrectly taken a point while doing the pattern for the transition that was going to be for the thicknesser.

Today I made up all the pieces needed for the bends,
150mm Dia to 100mm Dia reducers, the transitions for the table saw, planner, thicknesser and also made up the 3 way branch.

Al B
30th Aug 2006, 11:19 PM
Some pics of the collar being fitted on to the transition piece which will be going onto the thicknesser.
As I am changing the duct size for the thicknesser from 100mm to 150mm Dia, I decided to offset the part where the flexible hose gets connected to avoid any boards catching on the hose when the thicknesser is being used.

BarryBurgess
31st Aug 2006, 12:13 AM
Al B you are a glutton for punishment I just go down to the aircon distributor
Well done it must have taken you some time
Barry

Al B
31st Aug 2006, 10:05 AM
Al B you are a glutton for punishment I just go down to the aircon distributor
Well done it must have taken you some time
Barry
Barry I understand what your saying, But the pieces that come from an aircon distributor would be perfect if I was only moving air, its not really designed for woodchips/dust.
Part of the reason I am making my own ductwork is that with each piece of ducting that I am making, I take into consideration how the woodchips/dust will flow through each piece of ducting and how the joints are put together to help prevent areas where woodchips will get caught up, If you look at the pics of the bend and the collar on the transition that’s on the cyclone also the collar on the transition for the thicknesser and you will see this, hopefully this will help minimise losses in CFM and prevent blockages from occurring when the ducting is all put together and operating.

Yes it is taking some time to mark up the patterns and make each piece up but I am enjoying the process and think it is worth the extra effort.

Al B
31st Aug 2006, 06:41 PM
Some more pics of the transition for the thicknesser being finished off.

Metal Head
31st Aug 2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for the images they are great. Although I must say the metalwork is even better. May I ask how you bend/fold the the corner sections of the main body (the section going from the rectangular to circular shape), it look very cool.

Cheers
David

Cliff Rogers
31st Aug 2006, 08:17 PM
Pardon me Al, I'm going to post a link to Bill's site, it will help as an extra FAQ for this thread.

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Al B
31st Aug 2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for the images they are great. Although I must say the metalwork is even better. May I ask how you bend/fold the the corner sections of the main body (the section going from the rectangular to circular shape), it look very cool.

Cheers
David

David the bends around the main body are only very light folds (Breaks) depending on the radius of the round part this will determine how far you need to fold.
There are a number of ways you can do this, a sheet metal folder is the easiest and quickest but it can be done the same way as I did the flange over some angle iron or even using edge of a bench as its only light folds its not that hard to achieve. Hope this answers your question. I probably should have taken some pics to show how I did it from the start.

Pardon me Al, I'm going to post a link to Bill's site, it will help as an extra FAQ for this thread.

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Thank you Cliff

Wood Butcher
31st Aug 2006, 11:09 PM
I probably should have taken some pics to show how I did it from the start.

Or a video:rolleyes::D

Cliff Rogers
31st Aug 2006, 11:11 PM
....Thank you Cliff

I was hoping you wouldn't be offended 'cos you are doing a damned fine job. :)

Stu in Tokyo
31st Aug 2006, 11:55 PM
Wow, Al, that looks great!

I built one a while back, best thing I've done in a long time, works great, you are going to love it.

Great pics too!

Cheers!

Al B
1st Sep 2006, 04:27 PM
Rowan sorry mate I am still learning how to post pics, might have to get Gumby to do the video:D

Cliff Please feel free to post whatever its a forum, its all about sharing information and learning.

Stu I have briefly tested the cyclone only using 100mm hose works OK, :D cant wait to give it a full on test to see how well it works.

Barry, David, Rowan, Cliff and Stu thanks again for your replies.

Al B
1st Sep 2006, 04:30 PM
I have started another thread a step by step on making a square to round transition, heres the link.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=365984&posted=1#post365984

It should answer most of what you need to know on transitons. I hope:eek: If not feel free to ask.

Cliff Rogers
1st Sep 2006, 04:43 PM
I just nominated both for the Best of thread.

Al B
1st Sep 2006, 06:05 PM
I just nominated both for the Best of thread.

Thanks again Cliff

Al B
1st Sep 2006, 11:54 PM
Finished off the transition for the jointer, the 100mm oulet looks small against the new 150mm.

Metal Head
2nd Sep 2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the continuing commentry and pictures - very impressive. Thanks also for your explanation to my query pertaining to how you did the folding of the corner areas;).

Are you a qualified sheetmetal worker, if not you should be:).

Regards
David

Cliff Rogers
2nd Sep 2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Cliff,

Are you a qualified sheetmetal worker, if not you should be:).

Regards
David

That question should be directed to Al B, not me.
This is Al's thread, I'm one of the admirers. :D

I did do metal work at school in grade 8 about 35 years ago & did some metal folding to make cake tins & dustpans. ;) :D

Al B
2nd Sep 2006, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Metal Head
Hi Cliff,
Are you a qualified sheetmetal worker, if not you should be.

Regards
David

Used to be about 20 years ago have not really done any sheet metal work since until I started doing this Cyclone project.

I did do metal work at school in grade 8 about 35 years ago & did some metal folding to make cake tins & dustpans.

Cliff I also made a dustpan about 25 years ago which I still use in the shed.:D

Al B
2nd Sep 2006, 03:21 PM
Today I started working on the 150mm to 100mm reducers, the main use for these will be for bandsaw, drill press, router table, and lathe. I am making 6 in total, I swaged all the bodies and then the collars,
:eek: oops swaged the wrong end on one of the collars.:D
Then soldered all the joints to finish I also soldered up the 3 way branch.

Metal Head
2nd Sep 2006, 09:24 PM
:eek: oops swaged the wrong end on one of the collars.:D

& their I was thinking you were perfect Al B:D. Mind you it must be a very rare occassion judging by the state of the dustpan:rolleyes:.

Keep up the good work.

Btw Cliff sorry for the misidentification:o, but these VB's can unknowingly catch up with one's self:).

Regards
David

Al B
2nd Sep 2006, 11:40 PM
& their I was thinking you were perfect Al B:D.

"Maaaate" I am far from perfect believe me you havent seen my woodworking :eek: :D

When Cliff mentioned that he had made a dustpan at school it brought back memories of me making mine. Thought I would show a pic of the one I made at school. Never ever thought about how old that dustpan was until today.

Al B
3rd Sep 2006, 12:08 PM
Forgot to mention with the previous group of pics that the ends of the reducers required to be crimped so that it would fit into the other ducting.
As mentioned in post #27 something to be aware of is which way the woodchips/dust are going to flow, in the example shown I have marked this with arrows, If I had gone the other way it would contribute to some losses in flow also cause some woodchips/dust to get trapped around the joint causing further losses in flow and create possible blockages. Something I really want to try and avoid.
There will be circumstances where this will not be possible, Eg: Flexible hose connection.
Hopefully by doing what I am doing this will give me a more efficient trouble free system. ;) :D

Cliff Rogers
3rd Sep 2006, 10:08 PM
....When Cliff mentioned that he had made a dustpan at school it brought back memories of me making mine. Thought I would show a pic of the one I made at school. Never ever thought about how old that dustpan was until today.

I don't know where mine is, suspect it may still be in a cupboard at Mum & Dad's place.

bill pentz
5th Sep 2006, 03:40 PM
Very well done and nice pictures.

You will have to bring me up to speed on any areas where you think the web pages can use a little help or your pictures instead of my words. Can you believe I built that page, or at least the article that became that page way back in 1999 and then we did not dare post pictures because a couple would kill our connection hanging it forever to download the pictures? Anyhow any advice, hints or pictures that you would like to share would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I have a stainless steel cyclone all cut out and ready for you to come help me build. We should probably redo the tool hood and port fittings at the same time, plus the transitions. Shoot I even have my own roller, former, and metal brake. *smile*

Well done mate, as my Aussie buddy in Adelaide would say.

bill pentz

PS. I see my friend Stu peeking in here and he did a good job building and documenting his cyclone project as well.

Al B
5th Sep 2006, 10:14 PM
Very well done and nice pictures.

You will have to bring me up to speed on any areas where you think the web pages can use a little help or your pictures instead of my words. Can you believe I built that page, or at least the article that became that page way back in 1999 and then we did not dare post pictures because a couple would kill our connection hanging it forever to download the pictures? Anyhow any advice, hints or pictures that you would like to share would be appreciated.

Bill thanks for your kind words, your web site has inspired a lot of people including myself to build your cyclone and also many more people to at least have some sort of awareness.
I am happy to share any pictures or information you like.

Meanwhile, I have a stainless steel cyclone all cut out and ready for you to come help me build. We should probably redo the tool hood and port fittings at the same time, plus the transitions. Shoot I even have my own roller, former, and metal brake. *smile*

Well done mate, as my Aussie buddy in Adelaide would say.
I would love to come over and help you build your cyclone if you cover my traveling costs. :D Sounds like you have all the equipment to do the job.

Al B
5th Sep 2006, 10:17 PM
Finished making the 45 degree and 90 degree bends.

Also started tacking together the branches and Y pieces that I will need, The joins need to knocked into shape then once thats all done I will solder the joins.

Al B
5th Sep 2006, 10:23 PM
I managed to get some flexible joint (The grey flexible part is a rubber coated fabric) which I will use to connect the woodchip/dust collection drum which is at the bottom of the cyclone cone, this joint will give me 70mm of movement, enought flex to remove the lid from the drum.

Al B
5th Sep 2006, 10:29 PM
Started making the straight lengths of 150mm diameter duct. As you can see by the first pic, the roller that I used was not real good for rolling up the long lengths 150mm diameter duct.
I ended up getting a couple of straps around the duct to help bring the two ends together slowly working it into shape until the seams joined up. Pheww it was bit of a struggle but got there eventually.
I was then able to knock the seam down, I also ran some sealant over the seam and crimped one end so that it would fit inside the collar for the cyclone.
Installed the first length of duct to the cyclone then fitted the tree way branch, I still need to make up some support hangers for the ducting.

Groggy
5th Sep 2006, 10:54 PM
Very nice work Al!

Can you believe I built that page, or at least the article that became that page way back in 1999 and then we did not dare post pictures because a couple would kill our connection hanging it forever to download the pictures? That is a fine piece of work Bill, and thanks from one of the thousands of people who have been there many times since then. BTW, do you spend any time on the wreck anymore?

Al B
6th Sep 2006, 09:41 AM
Very nice work Al!

Thanks Groggy,

Hope the Pictures and information are Ok, If there is anything that anyone would like to see more pictures and or details about of the work that is being done, please let me know.

Al B
6th Sep 2006, 10:00 AM
I would like to start making some blast gates soon, I am not real sure what to use to make them and was wondering what you guys would recommend to make them out of and also any designs you have,
Options are
metal,
plastic,
timber with plastic flanges
or combination of all 3 materials.

Any help would be appreciated.;)
Thanks

bill pentz
7th Sep 2006, 05:55 AM
I would like to start making some blast gates soon, I am not real sure what to use to make them and was wondering what you guys would recommend to make them out of and also any designs you have,
Options are
metal,
plastic,
timber with plastic flanges
or combination of all 3 materials.

Any help would be appreciated.;)
Thanks
Al,

I think the best working gates are those with a through plate where when open a hole in that plate lets the air pass and when closed the plate blocks the airflow. Unlike less expensive gates this keeps from building up a wad of chips in the gate corners that requires regular cleaning to avoid leakage. The most affordable through type metal blast gates come from Lee Valley. Shipping might make these cost prohibitive for you. I think the best of these through gates are those you make yourself from PVC or metal ducting flanges. I have some of what you need to know on my web pages under the Ducting area, but one of the best set of instructions I've seen for making your gates from comes from Phil Bumbalough (http://www.benchmark.20m.com/articles/BlastGate/blastgatebuilding.html). I do suggest a couple of minor upgrades to his plan on my pages (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Ducting.cfm#BlastGates)so make sure you look at those before diving in.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/ducting/BlastGate.gif

[img src=""]

This type of blast gate will work great if placed between your tools and cyclone, but for making the gates to go on a wye coming off of your blower outlet, you need a different kind of gate or valve. These gates work because the suction pulls the flat portion down tight to make a good air seal. With a gate on the other side where air is blowing on the gate, then the air pressure opens the gate. For these it is better to make a Wye with a diverter valve as pictured below that will swing to make the air close tightly on one side or the other.

http://BillPentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/DiverterValve.gif

[img src=""]

Hope this helps.

bill

Ironwood
7th Sep 2006, 04:36 PM
Al,
Your cyclone project is coming along well. I have only just had the chance to read all of the updates that you have done in the last 3-4 weeks. I am impressed with your transitions and adaptors, impressive work. :) :) :)
Mine look similar from a long distance, until you get up close and see my joins/soldering etc. :o :o
I see you have 150mm flex hose on your thicknesser pics, do you mind me asking wher you got it and how much it costs?
I also like the look of your metal ducting. I'm afraid I took the easy way out there, and used 150mm pvc stormwater pipe, also using pvc 'Y's as well. Expensive but I dont have the gear or expertise to go that far.

Al B
7th Sep 2006, 06:01 PM
Bill appreciate the information on the blast gate,
I am thinking of making mine out of metal similar to pic you have there. I have an idea on how I am going to make it, I will make up a proto type first and see how it works before making the rest.:rolleyes: Thanks again for you help.

Al B
7th Sep 2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks Brad.

I see you have 150mm flex hose on your thicknesser pics, do you mind me asking wher you got it and how much it costs?

The 150mm hose cost $26.40 per meter from a place located here in Melbourne.
Here is a link.
http://radum.com.au/shopping/index.php?cPath=38_233&osCsid=9211497a3f193122ddf1fbaf040bde91

I also like the look of your metal ducting. I'm afraid I took the easy way out there, and used 150mm pvc stormwater pipe, also using pvc 'Y's as well. Expensive but I dont have the gear or expertise to go that far.

So far to build the cyclone and ductwork I have used
3 Galvanized metal sheets 2440mm X 1220mm X 24# @ $20.00 per sheet
3 Galvanized metal sheets 1830mm X 1220mm X 24# @ $15.00 per sheet
All the sheetmetal for this project has cost a total $105 Its a bargain compared to what the flexible hose cost. :D
I did get the Galvanized metal sheets at a good price from a friend.

Al B
7th Sep 2006, 06:32 PM
I have completed putting up the main trunk of ducting to the cyclone as you can see from the second pic I have sloped the ducting towards the cyclone, thought it wouldn’t hurt get some help from gravity also give me a little more headroom. I am very happy with the way its all going together at the moment.

Wood Butcher
7th Sep 2006, 07:00 PM
I am very happy with the way its all going together at the moment.

So you should be, the system looks great!!

And I must admit, I've done a heap of sheet metal fab work and your pipes and especially the bends and junctions look fantastic!

Al B
7th Sep 2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks again Rowan

I must admit, I've done a heap of sheet metal fab work and your pipes and especially the bends and junctions look fantastic!

The long straight bits are a bit of work to get rolled up, I am using straps to help hold it together while I slowly work it it into shape but its working out and thats all that matters I guess.:D

Al B
13th Sep 2006, 03:33 PM
Had some spare time today so thought I would finish off the ducting to the bandsaw here are some pics of different angles of the ductwork.

Al B
13th Sep 2006, 03:46 PM
Thought that I would show a simple jig that I made to bend the brackets up that I use for holding the ducting in place.
After I cut the piece of flat to length I mark the centre and then put it in the jig. I use the super jaws to slowly bring the two parts of the jig together, the brackets are quick and easy to make.

Harry72
13th Sep 2006, 04:31 PM
We'll need to start callin you the "Guru of ducting" soon!

Al B
13th Sep 2006, 05:44 PM
We'll need to start callin you the "Guru of ducting" soon!

:D Thanks Harry,
But I still have a lot to learn before I can even come close earning the "Guru of ducting" title. :D

Al B
13th Sep 2006, 05:48 PM
One thing I didn’t really think about when doing the plan for the ducting was clearance between the duct and lower door on the Band saw when its opened.:rolleyes:
Easy fix is to use the flexible hose that way I just move it out the way.
I did think of lifting the Bandsaw onto some 100mm high blocks to get the clearance.
Eventually I will put the Bandsaw on a mobile base.

Groggy
13th Sep 2006, 06:00 PM
But I still have a lot to learn before I can even come close earning the "Guru of ducting" title.The title is taken anyway, I reckon you should be known henceforth as "The Duct's Guts" :)

Al B
18th Sep 2006, 01:28 PM
The title is taken anyway, I reckon you should be known henceforth as "The Duct's Guts" :)

:D "Ruff as Guts" :D

Al B
18th Sep 2006, 01:34 PM
Had couple hrs spare time today so did a little bit more ducting. This section of ducting will be for the lathe and router table.

Harry72
18th Sep 2006, 03:12 PM
Al have you changed out the blade on your bandsaw in that position, I notice the BS's door would hit on the shed before fully open? on my BS (BAS470)the doors must open fully especially with 1 1/4"blades.

Al B
18th Sep 2006, 06:47 PM
Al have you changed out the blade on your bandsaw in that position, I notice the BS's door would hit on the shed before fully open? on my BS (BAS470)the doors must open fully especially with 1 1/4"blades.

"Harry" your right the doors do not open fully. But I havent had any problems with changing any of the blades that I use.
At the moment my widest blade is 3/4"
I agree that the doors would need to be fully open for a wider blade.

I am going to put the Bandsaw on a mobile base.

bill pentz
19th Sep 2006, 03:00 AM
Al B,

Here is a link to the Clear Vue site where Louie (Davis Less) has shown off his pretty amazing cyclone information (Louie's Godzilla cyclone (http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone?page=1)). I would like you to add your set of pictures and comments to that same gallery if you have time and patience. I think your work would help a lot of woodworkers, particularly with their machine ports and hoods.

bill

Al B
20th Sep 2006, 01:38 PM
Al B,

Here is a link to the Clear Vue site where Louie (Davis Less) has shown off his pretty amazing cyclone information (Louie's Godzilla cyclone (http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone?page=1)). I would like you to add your set of pictures and comments to that same gallery if you have time and patience. I think your work would help a lot of woodworkers, particularly with their machine ports and hoods.

bill

Bill,
I am happy to do that but I will wait until I have finished the ductwork before I post the pics there.

keith53
20th Sep 2006, 01:45 PM
Al B,

bill

Just about the ultimate compliment I'd say. Well done Al B :)

Al B
20th Sep 2006, 01:47 PM
Today I replaced the 100mm collar that was on the table saw to 150mm, I was never happy with the way the saw dust was never collected properly from either side of the 100mm collar while using the tablesaw, the 150mm transition should eliminate any sawdust building up.

Al B
20th Sep 2006, 01:51 PM
Also got a little bit more ducting done, "its nearly finished".:eek:

I still need to make up the 150mm blast gates and the sawdust collection drum to go under the cyclone.

Ironwood
20th Sep 2006, 01:53 PM
Looking good Al, I like your work!!

Mine has been at a bit of a standstill for a while now, I'm looking forward to being able to get in and finish it off.

Harry72
20th Sep 2006, 04:34 PM
Mate you ever though of making ducting for other people?

dai sensei
20th Sep 2006, 09:35 PM
Really nice work and thread Al. I don't check the metalwork forums much, so missed this one. I really like your pipework & joints.

I built mine a while back, but for my little 1hp unit, with PVC piping. Yeh I know not enough, but by opening up the throat on the inlet it works Ok.

Perhaps I missed it, but what hp are you using?

slipery
20th Sep 2006, 09:42 PM
Hi all,
very new at this forum but quite intrigued by it all.
Well done on the WIP Al, your skills certainly shine.
I also am considering making Bills design probably wont start till after christmas sometime. But was wondering what everone is using for a blower here in Aus. Any recomendations?

Slipery

Cliff Rogers
20th Sep 2006, 09:44 PM
...Perhaps I missed it, but what hp are you using?

Yeah Al, come to think of it.... do you have a blower (sucker) for this work of art? :D

Waldo
21st Sep 2006, 01:09 AM
G'day Al B,

I've been watching your progress in here and this thread has to go in Best of the Best. Consider me green with envy.

Love to see how your shed is set up.

Cliff Rogers
21st Sep 2006, 01:11 AM
G'day Al B,

I've been watching your progress in here and this thread has to go in Best of the Best. Consider me green with envy.

Love to see how your shed is set up.

Buzz off Waldo, I beat you to it. :D

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 07:51 PM
Just about the ultimate compliment I'd say. Well done Al B :)

Thanks Keith I agree,
I do feel honoured that Bill Pentz has given his time to comment and share his knowledge on this thread. I am only to happy to help share any information I can.
It was only after going to Bills Pentz’s site http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
and reading the information that really got me started on the Cyclone journey.

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 07:52 PM
Looking good Al, I like your work!!

Mine has been at a bit of a standstill for a while now, I'm looking forward to being able to get in and finish it off.

Thanks again Brad
How’s the recovery going, Hope its all going well for you.
I’m looking forward to see some progress pics of your cyclone project.

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 07:56 PM
Mate you ever though of making ducting for other people?

"Harry" I would love to make ducting for other people.
But my shed is not big enough for woodworking and sheetmetal equipment, and I don’t think my kids would be happy if I use up their backyard to build another shed.:D
Finding the time could also be a problem.:rolleyes:

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks Guys for your kind words.

I used the motor and blower from my 2yr old 2HP (CT-2042 dust extractor )

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:04 PM
Yesterday I went and picked up a empty drum to use as my sawdust collection drum which goes under the cyclone. After looking how good Ironwood's drum looked under his cyclone, and as I did not have enough room under my cyclone to fit a full length drum I started thinking how I could fit one under mine, I came up with an idea to shorten it so it would fit. ;)

As this may be of interest to others I will try and give a bit more detail.

Tools required for this job are
4” angle grinder with cutting disc
Electric Drill
Jigsaw
Bandsaw (optional)
Tin snips
Pop rivet gun and pop rivets
Half round file
Hammer
Dividers (to marks circles)
Marking pen.

I started by cutting the base off with the angle grinder, I only cut the outer layer of the drum which allowed me to knock the base out. As shown in the pics

slipery
21st Sep 2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks Al. One other question I have got. What gauge sheet are you using. Bill recomends 24 gauge so as it can be worked by hand but as you seem to have all the right tools I was wondering if you went a tad thicker as 24 g seems awfully thin.

Cheers

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:08 PM
After removing the base I marked out how much I need to shorten the drum and cut the excess away. I cut this in two goes as this gave a much cleaner final cut rather than trying to cut it out in one go.

I added some wheels to the base, Thought this would make things a little easier when getting the drum in and out from under the Cyclone.:D

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:14 PM
I had thought about putting a strip of clear Perspex along the side of the drum to see the sawdust level but as the drum had ribs this made it difficult to do, so went for the easy option and that was make a clear disc for the lid.

I marked out the disc onto some clear Perspex and cut it out on the Bandsaw. The inner circle I cut with the jigsaw. I then fitted the flexible connection that I had and with my hammer knocked over the flange to hold both the clear Perspex disc and Flexible joint in place.

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:17 PM
The lid was next I marked out the circle and cut it out with the Jigsaw.
I them marked and drilled out the holes to attach the lid to the Perspex disc before attaching I put a bead of clear sealant around the hole in the lid and bolted the two together.

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:19 PM
Next was attaching the base back onto the drum, before I attached the base I put some sealant around the edge of the base where the drum would go. I slid the base into the drum and wiped off the excess sealant before pop riveting the base and drum together.

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:22 PM
I attached the lid with the flexible conection to the bottom of the cyclone and sealed the joint. I wheeled the drum under the lid and
tested it for leaks and happy to report that its all air tight:D
Clear lid looks pretty cool.

Auld Bassoon
21st Sep 2006, 08:23 PM
So, a cost per unit for a production run of 1,000 would be? :D :D

Seriously, super work Al, looking very pro!

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks Al. One other question I have got. What gauge sheet are you using. Bill recomends 24 gauge so as it can be worked by hand but as you seem to have all the right tools I was wondering if you went a tad thicker as 24 g seems awfully thin.

Cheers

Slipery I have used 24 gauge, To be honest I was a little worried also when I made the main upper cylinder of the cyclone but you will be suprised how the main upper cylinder stiffens up once the air ramp goes in.
Belive me if it was too thin the whole cyclone would collapse on itself when the cyclone is fired up. similar to crushing an empty softdrink can:eek:

Al B
21st Sep 2006, 08:47 PM
So, a cost per unit for a production run of 1,000 would be? :D :D

Seriously, super work Al, looking very pro!

Thanks Steve

"Mate" I dont come cheap! :eek: it would be a small fortune in labour alone:D

Waldo
22nd Sep 2006, 11:42 AM
G'day Al B,

Just had a bloke asking about my dusty setup in my shed. I answered his questions but directed him to your thread, as your setup makes mine pale into insignificance to the power of 1,000,000. :(

I think I'll tear mine up and throw it into the rubbish heap.

I don't know about you, but if I were you and building your setup there, I would've been walking into the shed everytime and just standing there, pondering, gazing as I lent against my bench and would've taken me double the time it has for you to do it. (but then I don't have the ability to do what you've done there.

Best of the Best alright (2nding Cliffs earlier recommendation, :p Cliff ;) )

Doughboy
22nd Sep 2006, 12:08 PM
I am just working out how much for you to set up mine...

Three weeks wages
Cost of travelling to Canberra
Cost of materials
Cost of beer
Cost of bbq gas
Cost of...

Ah it just seems to add up the more I think of it.

Better look into making my own.

Nice job al. Looks fan-bloomin'-tastic!!!!!!!!!!

Pete