PDA

View Full Version : Forge complete and works (mostly)

Bodgy
23rd Mar 2006, 06:32 PM
Finished my forge and fired it up this PM. Overall a happy result, I got an old file completely cherry and quickly melted some aluminium.

When I paint it and it looks pretty I'll post some pics.

I was surprised that Her Indoor's vacuum cleaner provided more than enough air. Anymore and the coals would be flying.

The downside seems to be that it doesn't get hot enough. I suspect three things, firstly the BBQ Heat Beads from the supermarket don't burn as hot as coke, and secondly, I only had two layers of the beads, will try 3 next time. Thirdly, the beads are quite large, like two golf balls, hence leave big gaps between them.

I remember using real forges there would be white heat visible. Mine only got between red and orange in the coals,

Any guidance would be welcome. Also where does one buy coke these days? No not that sort - I know that already.

Andy Mac
23rd Mar 2006, 09:39 PM
Hi Bodgy,
I can't help you with suppliers, but just plain charcoal works well. Its sooty, but sets a closer fire bed than the beads and prolly less chemical additive:eek: . Buy the BBQ packs too although expensive way of doing it. I've burned stuff scavenged from gum trees after a fire, just to refire an old rusted one my brother uncovered on the farm. Find out how to make it, I know some guys that do and they make enough to fire many forges for a three day weekend of smithing!:D:cool: :D
I've also used coal, anthracite, and even damp stuff (OMG smokey!:eek: ) and a mixture of it and charcoal.
Only recently worked with coke, and I'm a convert but once my wee stash is gone I'll have to go looking.
Gas I've also tried and its pretty awesome, really quick for thicker stuff, and maybe one day I'll make one...
Look forward to seeing the photos!:)

Cheers,

bsrlee
24th Mar 2006, 12:54 AM
Alan Maizie the kris maker said he just used to hitch up his trailer & go to Port Kembla iron works, then ask them to filler-up with 'peanut' coke. That was a few years ago, he now does all his forging in Indonesia - cheap & the neighbours don't compain ;)

Otherwise you'll have to ring around the wood fire places, which should be starting to move over into winter mode from selling BBQ's for summer, and see if any are still stocking coke - but you'll have to know what you're looking at as a lot of the stuff they sold was absolute c**p, smoked, stank & you could not get a weld to stick. Burnt with a foot or so of yellow flame even WITHOUT any blast.

The stuff you want is 'peanut' coke, pieces about the size of a good unshelled peanut pod, and when broken it is pourous and clean shiney grey inside - and won't burn much at all when you turn the blast off.

Decent charcoal is also hard to find in Sydney, seems Bob Carr sold off all the Charcoal burning licences to some big export company who are sending all their production to 'North Asia'.

CameronPotter
24th Mar 2006, 10:30 AM
Ahhhh, 'tis handy knowing the right people.

The brother of a friend of mine worked at Tempco steel refinery in the North of Tasmania.

Took a trailer up and he filled it literally to overflowing for the price of a carton!

I can't possibly use all the stuff I have. Awesome coke though and it BURNS.

Mind you, I have to keep an eye on the forge though as when I turn the blast off, it goes out very quickly.

Cam

forge
25th Mar 2006, 08:59 AM
Finished my forge and fired it up this PM. Overall a happy result, I got an old file completely cherry and quickly melted some aluminium.
I was surprised that Her Indoor's vacuum cleaner provided more than enough air. Anymore and the coals would be flying.

The downside seems to be that it doesn't get hot enough. I suspect three things, firstly the BBQ Heat Beads from the supermarket don't burn as hot as coke, and secondly, I only had two layers of the beads, will try 3 next time. Thirdly, the beads are quite large, like two golf balls, hence leave big gaps between them.

I remember using real forges there would be white heat visible. Mine only got between red and orange in the coals,

Any guidance would be welcome. Also where does one buy coke these days? No not that sort - I know that already.
Great to see another forge on the go .Have got charkhole in the past from -bakeries that use woodfired owens,firewood supply places,indian restaurants
(firing the tandoor) ,.Maybe there are some blacksmiths near you,ask where the buy their coke.The yellow pages is your friend :)
Have used firebricks to construct forge beds in the past,the low temperature ones melt after a bit.Have welded up fire grate for it from
reinforcing bar.Its removable ,cheap and last a long while
Regards ,Bela

Bodgy
25th Mar 2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the resposes fellows.

Bela, I used a bit of scrunched up chook wire as a grate and it worked fine, but we'll see what happens when I achieve a higher temp. Looked at the blacksmiths in the Yellow Pages and I'll see if they can help with coke. Also the Farriers look promising.

Theres plenty of charcoal around us due to our constant bushfires, just that gathering it is not an appealing process.

The bricks are only a temp measure until I can find a brake drum that costs less than the original complete wreck it came from.

Was thinking of putting a chimney over the fire. Is this worthwhile or just gilding the lilly?

Wood Butcher
25th Mar 2006, 12:33 PM
Was thinking of putting a chimney over the fire. Is this worthwhile or just gilding the lilly?

Just a thought about the chimney. I've seen a couple of forges that have chimney and while they are great if you have the forge inside a shed all they do otherwise is direct the heat towards you. What might be an advantage is to have a shroud around the back of the forge to stop unwanted wind stirring up sparkes if you are outside??:confused:

forge
25th Mar 2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the resposes fellows.

Bela, I used a bit of scrunched up chook wire as a grate and it worked fine, but we'll see what happens when I achieve a higher temp. Looked at the blacksmiths in the Yellow Pages and I'll see if they can help with coke. Also the Farriers look promising.

Theres plenty of charcoal around us due to our constant bushfires, just that gathering it is not an appealing process.

The bricks are only a temp measure until I can find a brake drum that costs less than the original complete wreck it came from.

Hey ,Bodgy i found from personal experiennce -And for myself-i'm able to control the fire size better with the fire brick forge(Note-hi temp .firebrick ,not housebrick)long and narrow ,or short and narrow.Saves on fuel costs as well.
If the forge is in a shed you need to get the smoke out somehow,perhaps an exaust hood , or make forge portable and forge outside.Hopefully less of a firedanger as well(ifyou do ww in the shed).I recommend you check out this site>http://www.anvilfire.com/index.htm<heaps of info in all archives.
Regards ,Bela:)

CameronPotter
28th Mar 2006, 09:34 AM
Actually if the chimney is built right, it can provide the blow!

There are old techniques that were used by Indian smiths that had a long thin chimney and the forge was sealed except for a small entrance and the hole at the bottom. Hot air rises, and ends up creating a suction which pulls air into the bottom of the forge! Pretty cool I reckon.

As for fire size, I would suggest you build the forge large and fence it in with fire bricks to reduce the sixe if necessary; that way the forge can be used for both small and big things.

Cam