PDA

View Full Version : welding school / master to teach

Gaza
5th Mar 2006, 08:11 PM
any idea where i can go to learn to weld, i am not after a trade ticket just want to know the basics and learn a new skill. i have almost picked up all my woodie skills by my self but had trouble with welding. maybe its the condition of my welder.

also if any one in SYd can weld good, i am prepared to pay them to teach me with either timber, cash or use of my industrial woodworking machines, inlcd panel saws, spindle moulder, over head router, edge bander, thicknesser (4 header 600 wide), wide belt sander plus almost every power tool.

Wood Butcher
5th Mar 2006, 08:25 PM
Try a local TAFE college. Most Tafe's run night courses in introductory welding. The are a great way to learn and generally don't cost too much!

Gra
5th Mar 2006, 08:25 PM
Try TAFE, They run short courses in welding and blacksmithing.. Not that expensive from what I gather..

Grahame Collins
5th Mar 2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Gaza,
If you go back into an earlier thread
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19428

and have a read through that I would be surprised if you did not pick something up that made a difference.

Failing that can you describe your particular difficulty in as much detail as possible. I hope I have helped a few here improve their technique.I am sure thats what it will be,just missing technique. I'm an Ex tafe welding instructor and if I can teach adolescents to weld ,a keen mature intersted adult will present no problem at all. Once we eliminate any possible machine problems and get you striking an arc and running a bead,you quickly get the confidence in yourself to weld competently.
Cheers
Grahame

Gaza
5th Mar 2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone, yea Tafe is one option but i currently go to uni at night during the week so its hard to find a class on when i am not at uni.

Graham i am going to read the thread and get out my old welder tomorrow, and try to fig out the settings etc. it could be more productive to get a new smaller set up, that can be controlled easier. my current welder is big old thing about the size of a bar fridge, (2ph).

You must have a battle teaching young guys, we have enough trouble getting them to use a broom right.

Grahame Collins
6th Mar 2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Gaza,
Ok the fact your machine is most likely an old industrial machine could put a different spin on things. Some of those big old ones have had a tough time. If it had been used as a long time power power source for arc gouging it may have the insulation between the transformer stack plates all melted or degraded. That can make them absolute b's to weld with.If that was the case soak it in deep water,its not worth fixing.On the other hand it may only be un noticed loose terminal connections causing electrode striking problems.

If you are only going for welding light stuff ,say 6mm and under a new small welder may be the solution to your problems.If money is a problem-when is it not?- A GMC from bunnings can run about the $100 mark and will run off a 10amp plug 240 volt outlet.

Grahame

Metal Head
7th Mar 2006, 01:40 PM
Further to what Grahame said.

A few months ago my partner and I was passing through Taralgon in the La Trobe valley when we decided to stop for a bit to eat. On walking up the main street we popped into this pawn (no not ) shop and I got lucky in getting a virtually brand new GMC welder for just $60 compared to the $120 price tag at Bunnings. It is the first time I have purchased a GMC item but so far no regrets.

Since then I have been to numerous pawn shops locally but I haven't been so lucky in finding a bargain.

Cheers
David

Gaza
7th Mar 2006, 02:41 PM
yea well tryed the old bugger today and its stuffed, was arcing inside case.

i can buy wholesale CIGweld models incld

CIGWELD transarc compact or a bit heaver easeywelder turbo.

they are 205 and 320. any thoughts. i intened to weld some serious stuff.

Grahame Collins
7th Mar 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi,Gaza ,
The maximum output capacity of the new machine should be dicated by the thickness of steel you wish to ultimately weld. Some of the lighter Transarcs I have seen in the past cheat a bit by using aluminium windings on the transformer.In the long run it means less available grunt, but if you using multiphase power not so much a consideration. If you hang about and watch the papers Tafe sometimes have auctions when they update machinery as do fab businesses but buyer beware.

200 amp above would allow 4mm diam electrodes.

What are you building, battleships?
Cheers
Grahame

rowler2
20th Mar 2006, 01:19 AM
Try this website .... www.aussieweld.com.au (http://www.aussieweld.com.au)
They have a very good tutorial, I learnt last week.
Cheers Dave

Simomatra
20th Mar 2006, 09:38 AM
Also try BOC gases

They used to do courses here in Brisbane at all levels

Cheers Samhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif