PDA

View Full Version : MIG pulse welders

vin
5th Mar 2006, 11:05 AM
Hi, first post, this looks like a great forum, hope to spend some time here.

Can you buy cheap (Chinese etc)single phase pulse mig welders

Grahame Collins
5th Mar 2006, 03:51 PM
Hi, first post, this looks like a great forum, hope to spend some time here.

Can you buy cheap (Chinese etc)single phase pulse mig welders

PROBABLY

Can you buy the cheap replacement circuit board once the above cacks itself due to power surges and the like ?
NOPE!
Whatever you buy will not be CHEAP unless spares are availabe.Work on whole of life cost comparisons.

Why do you need a pulsed mig for ? A few more details on what you would hope to do would enable people here to give you a defined answer. Your experience to date with MIG would be handy too

Grahame

vin
5th Mar 2006, 04:24 PM
Grahame, I am thinking of doing something a little challenging, I am thinking about building an aluminium boat probably about 5.5mt first. then maybe something bigger later. I have never welded seriously aluminium, over the last few weeks i have set up my CIG 220 with a teflon liner and suitable roller and have been playing around. I thought if i could get a pulse mig for $2500-$3000 single phase i would be tempted to buy one. Below are some links of mine, the first one is just my website and the second one is my last project. Please give me your thoughts?

http://stonevahestate.tripod.com/

http://stonevahestate.tripod.com/houseboat/

Grahame Collins
5th Mar 2006, 04:51 PM
Vin
That info makes it real easy to give answer.
If anybody needs a pulsed mig for a particular project it is you.Bearing in mind what I said about parts availability,I would say WIA (Welding Industries of Australia) might be the go.These blokes developed the pulsed MIG in conjunction with CSRIO.
Remember the Australia ! BONDYs Americas Cup racing yacht.It was welded up using the then newly developed WIA pulsed Migs.If there are single phased pulse migs around WIA will be the first port of call.They are good quality welders.The apprentices at TAFE 20 years ago could not kill them.

By now you will have found out what a pain in the bum that using a push gun-which is the standard gun with the drive rolls in the welder body that PUSH the soft aluminium wire forward. What works really well if you can afford it is the PULL type gun.The drive rollers are built into the head behind the contact tip are. It will drag the wire through. Costly yes! but consider you could sell the unit when you finish you project.

If you can't go to a PULL torch .- Keep your existing torch cable as straight as possible to minimise drag (slows down your wire feed rate and amps plus promotes wire tangle at the drive rolls. )
Google up WIA they have a website But from memory you will need Adobe for the PDF format.
Cheers Grahame

Grahame Collins
5th Mar 2006, 06:05 PM
Vin
I took my own advice and looked for a 240v pulsed mig.There does not appear to be a model available in any brand.My apologies
Grahame

Metal Head
30th Mar 2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Vin,

Without trying to embarress you I was very impressed by your little project. May I be cheeky enough to ask how much it would have roughly cost to build?.

Cheers
David

col5555
23rd Dec 2007, 01:25 PM
Fronius make a pulsed single phase mig welder.

Grahame Collins
23rd Dec 2007, 02:04 PM
Fronius make a pulsed single phase mig welder.

They may well do so now Col, but 20 months ago, when the post first came up they did not have a single phase mig available .

At least not with the local agent whom my wife works for.

How about posting up a link for us all then ?

Grahame

northerncat
4th Aug 2008, 06:00 PM
where can the info on this fronius 240v pulse welder be found?
sean

bhp350
1st Oct 2008, 08:05 PM
They may well do so now Col, but 20 months ago, when the post first came up they did not have a single phase mig available .

At least not with the local agent whom my wife works for.

How about posting up a link for us all then ?

Grahame
go to your local welding shop they will be able to help you, fronius mainy have 3 phase, cebora make a great pulse welder its the 2035/m synergic single phase 200 amp with 100% duty cycle at 145amp there reasonably priced at around $6500

northerncat
10th Oct 2008, 10:31 PM
really appreciate that information, i am looking at building a 45ft ally sailing cat and would prefer not to go down the 3 ph if i could help but i would like to have the pretty pulse look of the welds, i can weld ally pretty well with a normal mig but hey i figure if im goping to do this i may as well buy a decent welder, im only lookingat welding 4mm so really not looking for high power, ill have to have look at these welders and see if anyone has one in the area
sean

PhaseChangeConv
16th Oct 2008, 11:49 AM
MAte,

If you need three phase you have a wide range of options. You can connect to utility (often quite expensive, but if you get ti cheap enough DO IT!). You can also choose to purchase a single to three phase power converter. We sell these and VSD's (which can onyl run one motor at a time, and at 240V rather than 415V). A power converter will allow you to run 3 Phase 415V from your existing single phase supply and can run any welder on the market. The following sizes will give a rough idea as to what unit you would be looking at for a welder of a certain size.

0-180A (PC 4kW)
180-250A (PC 6kW)
250-350A (Pc 8kW)
350-440A (PC 11kW)

An 8kW converter, which is out most popular model is sold at retail for 3800+GST. It can also be used for any number of machines up to the power rating on the unit. So you could use a number of machines at the same time, as long as when added together they do not exceed the 8kW rating of the converter. This is a unique feature to a power converter over a VSD (which can only run one machine at a time @ 240V output).

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me betwen 8am and 5pm from Monday to Friday. I would enjoy answering your questions, and giving you possibilities of how to gain three phase for a minimum of costs.

Kind Regards,

Tom Fraser
Phase Change Power Converters
10-12 Mackey Street
Longwarry, Victoria, 3816
(03) 5629 9799
[email protected]

Nathan1
22nd Dec 2008, 10:35 PM
Hey guys apologies for coming on here just for this but I am selling a brand new Cebora 2035M Pulse mig welder,it was only used once when I attended a tradeshow in Tassie otherwise it is brand spanking.

Looking at $3K firm.

Standard 1 year warranty will apply. We are selling due to moving to a smaller office and only keeping our main lines of products for the freight company to pack and send for us.

Please feel free to contact me on 0400 185 679,item is located in our factory in Botany and inspections are welcome. Please no lowballers the RRP is much more than the asking price.

Sorry mods if this is against the rules,please remove the post if need be.

Thanks
Nathan