PDA

View Full Version : sidcrome

flappers
31st Jan 2006, 09:32 PM
can any one tell me why good aussie companys are moveing overseas

Auld Bassoon
31st Jan 2006, 09:34 PM
Labours costs, site costs, taxes. Oh! did I mention labour costs and taxes?

ozwinner
31st Jan 2006, 09:39 PM
Labours costs, site costs, taxes. Oh! did I mention labour costs and taxes?

You dont count in their books
I dont count in their books
Only money counts in their books.

As Ned said, " such is life"

Al :(

bitingmidge
31st Jan 2006, 09:46 PM
because you don't count in Ozwinner's book either...he's not prepared to buy stuff that costs three or four times the cost of an identical product.

Neither am I.

Neither I suspect are you.

So it's not to save cost at all, it's to produce a product at a price that WE are prepared to pay.

It's OUR fault! :( :( :(

P

ozwinner
31st Jan 2006, 09:49 PM
It's OUR fault! :( :( :(

P

Hang on, it might be your fault, but...............................never mind, it is my fault, just ask my missus.

Al :(

Glenn_M
31st Jan 2006, 09:51 PM
What I find bizarre is that in many cases all that actually moves is the name (or the right to use the name more precisely).

A brand management company will buy a (usually) manufacturing company with a strong brand, subcontract the manufacturing to the cheapest tenderer and continue to sell under the original name.

The investment $'s then go into reinforcing the brand rather than product development that created the strong brand in the first place.

Nike, Coke, Pacific Dunlop, to name a few very well known brands, make more from licensing the names than manufacturing products.

Inevitably product quality seems to suffer........

(</broad generalisation mode on>)
No one seems to have a long term view in business these days. Nothing past the end of this quarter seems to count.

Long live Sidchrome!

Greg Q
31st Jan 2006, 10:03 PM
The end of Western manufacturing, courtesy of the Harvard MBA (and its clones).

The MBA kids at my uni used to wear a Tee-shirt that said on the front:

"No Condo, No BMW, No MBA*"

on the back, it said: "*Yet."

When you get a condo and a BMW for talking crap, somethings got to give. In this case, jobs, quality, .....

martrix
31st Jan 2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.made-in-china.com/images2/symbol.gif (http://www.made-in-china.com/):mad: :mad:

Ashore
1st Feb 2006, 12:03 AM
flappers
there are hundreds of thousands of aussi companies , why pic a few that go os for tax or economic reasons , check the local stock exchange on how many companies are listed compared to 5 years ago and how many you have invested in
u-beaut is still here as is wattyl along with a host of others
bottom line is how often do you make a positive choice to buy australian
do you read the lable of every item you or your significant other half buys to ensure it is an australian product do you only invest in Australian companies , how does your super fund invest,

Sorry for the rant but I get so upset when people object to aussi companies going offshore when the main reason is that Australians dont invest in them

If all australians bought australian in preference to foriegn products .....
ah but .....and a big but .. cause some things are better ,....some are dumped to make sales ...some are cheeper

I would ask the questions how many never buy groceries from a supermarket but from the local Aussi groccer
Never buy a paper in a supermarket but from the local newsagent ,
Yet coles and woolworths are both international companies

END RANT

Live in Australia Buy Australian

Proud Aussi and Proud of it

graemet
1st Feb 2006, 08:48 AM
I get so upset when people object to aussi companies going offshore when the main reason is that Australians dont invest in them

My beef is that when I invest in an Australian company, I end up losing my investment (or most of it). I bought shares in one of my local suppliers, had been in business for 50 years, put out of business by o/s companies - bought shares in Telstra - nuff said! - put money into the Gowings float AND into their rights offer - all gone. I specifically selected my home aircon on the basis of Aussie made - the firm is gone, can't get spares and the service bloke said " these things never last like the imported ones do". I'm trying to give my clients good service and good product with guarantees and am continually being undercut on price by multinationals who source crap from o/s and can afford to replace the faulty stuff 4 times before they even start to eat into their original profit!!!!
It's enough to make a bloke buy Ozito. (Wash mouth out with soap)
Cheers????
Graeme

Clinton1
1st Feb 2006, 11:15 AM
I didn't think Sidchrome was an aussie company?
Owned by Stanley I thought.

Ashore
1st Feb 2006, 11:30 AM
greamet
I cannot disagree with anything you say . I just wanted to push the buy and invest Australian I know some people like you do make the effort , there just isn't enoug that do.

mat
1st Feb 2006, 01:07 PM
Clinton

Sidchrome used to be absolutely Aussie. It is interesting to see the high prices second hand sidchrome "made in Australia" commands on Ebay.

Ashore
Interesting that you mention Wattyl - they are not doing too well at the present time.

craigb
1st Feb 2006, 01:18 PM
"You canna hand a man a grander spanner"

Just though I'd chuck that in for nostalgia value. :D

silentC
1st Feb 2006, 01:36 PM
Get Wran ta hand a granda plan ta Landa.

:D

Clinton1
1st Feb 2006, 02:18 PM
I think its Kinchrome that is Australian made.....
actually, thats Stanley as well.

Ashore
1st Feb 2006, 02:24 PM
Ashore
Interesting that you mention Wattyl - they are not doing too well at the present time.

they paid 22cents per share fully franked last year over 7.2% returne on the share price next years looking better
they are under a takeover bid at the moment , you gotta ask why does someone want to buy :cool:

Wood Borer
1st Feb 2006, 02:34 PM
I notice that the owners, directors and executives of the companies manufacturing offshore are still Australian based.

Surely everyone would benefit if like their former Australian employees they too were replaced with just as bright/dim/dull people who were based in countries where salaries and conditions were much much cheaper.

We would then have even lower prices and the shareholders would have greater returns. Win Win?

Should we outsource our expensive politicians to overseas?

keith53
1st Feb 2006, 03:46 PM
I think its Kinchrome that is Australian made.....
actually, thats Stanley as well.

As far as I know Kinchrome is made in China. The reason I pay more for a Sidchrome is the absolute quality. Take their ring spanners. Very thin but very strong. Most of the Chinese stuff works OK until you want to get it into a tight spot and find that the ring is too thick.

Barry_White
1st Feb 2006, 08:37 PM
For what it is worth Sidchrome used to be part of Siddons Industries along with Ramset and a few other companies.

Siddons Industries was broken up and Sidchrome went to Stanleys.

Ramset along with Buildex (W.A.Deutchers Tek screws etc.), Lane Security Zenith Hardware along with many other companys where bought by an American conclomerate called ITW. Proline

If you want to see how many companys that ITW has their hooks into have a look on Google. http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ITW+Proline&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

Also have a look here. http://www.splgroup.com.au/md.html

Barry_White
1st Feb 2006, 09:03 PM
I used own a toolbox full of sets of Sidchrome spanners AF, Metric and SAE in rings, open enders and sockets along with the accessories like ratchets, extension bars, cranks and universal joints etc.

My son borrowed the full tool box and had it in the back of his station waggon. I told him to take it out as if he broke down it wouldn't really help him. About three days later I needed to do a job with the spanners and I couldn't find the tool box, so I went and woke him up to ask him and he told me that it had got stolen out of the back of his station waggon which he couldn't lock.

To say the least I wasn't very happy because it was probably worth about $1500 and had taken me several years to accumulate as it had some special spanners that couldn't be replaced.

I started to replace some of them and he came home one day and said to me would I be interested in buying a toolbox full of Sidchrome spanners, including rings, open enders and sockets with accessories in a triple deck Sidchrome box. I said Oh yea how much? He says $75 and I said what truck did the fall off. He had a mate that was desperate for a fix so I gave him the $75 and that was 15 years ago.

craigb
2nd Feb 2006, 02:19 PM
I used own a toolbox full of sets of Sidchrome spanners AF, Metric and SAE in rings, open enders and sockets along with the accessories like ratchets, extension bars, cranks and universal joints etc.

My son borrowed the full tool box and had it in the back of his station waggon. I told him to take it out as if he broke down it wouldn't really help him. About three days later I needed to do a job with the spanners and I couldn't find the tool box, so I went and woke him up to ask him and he told me that it had got stolen out of the back of his station waggon which he couldn't lock.

To say the least I wasn't very happy because it was probably worth about $1500 and had taken me several years to accumulate as it had some special spanners that couldn't be replaced.

I started to replace some of them and he came home one day and said to me would I be interested in buying a toolbox full of Sidchrome spanners, including rings, open enders and sockets with accessories in a triple deck Sidchrome box. I said Oh yea how much? He says $75 and I said what truck did the fall off. He had a mate that was desperate for a fix so I gave him the $75 and that was 15 years ago.

A couple of sad stories in that post Barry. :( :(