PDA

View Full Version : Sand Blasting Trailer

foaley77
26th Jan 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm wanting to sandblast my Trailer that has some rust on it I just bought 4L of Kilrust, I was thinking of buying one of these sand blasters from Ebay I have a 2HP 25 L Air Compressor but I don't know if it would be powerful enough has anyone used thes one before, Also how much does the sand cost and what type do I get?

cheers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7584720139&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4607668920&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

dazzler
26th Jan 2006, 05:12 PM
Hi

sandblasting is a lot like installing batts in the roof...........leave it to masochists.;)

I had my off road buggy trailer which is 1950 x 3500 with lots and lots of pipes to sandblast done last year.

$250 and poweder coated at the same time:D . There are a few basic powdercoat colours that they use so if you stick with them the cost is great.

If you need to do weld repairs etc just grind back the powder coat and toach up later.

good luck.

dazzler

soundman
28th Jan 2006, 11:38 PM
Sand blasting even in a small scale requires large amounts of air and it needs to be good and dry (this is harder than it sounds).
In addition a small sand blaster simply wont have the guts to do what you want.

There are a good range of abrasive products to use with your grinder that work realy well on diferent problems.

If you go to a pro sand blaster with a grungy trailer you better have deep pockets.

cheers

Pulpo
29th Jan 2006, 10:07 AM
Their crap.

They may work on an air compressor with a 200lt tank and 25cfm.

I would like to try http://http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7584720139&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have not used one but they may have more hope.

Once again I think a tank of around 100lt, with 17cfm would be possible, not the best set-up but may have some results.

Your set up is not powerful enough you could possible buy just another tank around 100lt.

You need the right product too.

Good Luck

Pulpo

Rossluck
29th Jan 2006, 01:55 PM
I've tried it on a trailer, it's just too slow, noisy and dusty, and I have a 20cfm with a Honda 5.5. The compressor you're looking at is probably around 8 or 10 cfm. If you can access the rust it's better to grind or wire brush it out (a wire brush on a 100mm grinder is great), then hit it with a rust neutraliser, then primer, then Killrust.

As a matter of interest, if you have a ton of rust to get rid of, this site shows the process of removing rust from a whole trailer frame through electrolysis. It works.

http://antique-engines.com/trailer-electrolysis.htm

2shane
3rd Feb 2006, 05:14 PM
Well the other guys are kind of right, but mostly wrong, you see I'm a genius, and I know everything.

The poxy little sand blaster kits go for $20 at supercheap autos, and with a small home type compressor (2HP), they are just fine.

It's not the size of your "surge tank" (simply smooths out the delivery and compressor running / on off cycles), it's the constant volume at what ever pressure, that is the main consideration.

Seived builders sand works fine.

OK to refine this a little bit.

The cheap &&&& sand blaster kits work better if you have a way to have an open suction tube and a controlled feed for the sand landing near by it, so you have a constant abrasive feed that is not depenant upon weather you are sand blasting or not (suction or not).

I have rigged up one and it works a treat.

The little 2 HP compressors, in keeping with the constant delivery rate required, will supply the sand blaster with enough air to run continiously.

They are great for small jobs, but correspondingly the bigger the job, the more power = more air = more abrasive (KG / hour) hitting a bigger area = shorter time = greater capital investment etc..

There is tonnes of information on abrasives / sand blasting that you can get.

Seived builders sand works fine for most things...

It's the balancing act really, how much is your trailer worth, what's it going to be used for, what kind of loads are you going to be sticking in it, and aside from the COSMETIC issue, is it really worth doing up?

It may pay to strip it totally down and take it in a trailer, down the local shipyard where they sand blast tonnes of stuff BIG TIME.. - and it will be done in a few minutes...

Then take it home again and hit it with a coat of paint...

If all your tailer is used for it mostly sitting in the back yard rusting.. then I dunno..

If your carting hard rubbish and concrete chunks and broken bricks - on a commercial basis all the time then make it look real nice on the outside, and hardly bother with the inside.

My feeling is that if you absolutely must have a great job, and the whole trailer is rusty every where, then strip it totally and take all the metal bits to a commercial / industrial blasting service, other wise you will be at it ages with the home stuff.

If it's only a few patches of moderate rust here or there, then get the supercheap auto sand blasting kit, and get either builders sand or a SHARP clean and washed sand and give it a go.

Sand comes in mostly either one of two forms, SHARP where the grains are edged and angular, or it's ROUND - where the grains are spheroidical (ball like).

It's the SHARP sand (or grit) that is best for cutting into surface rust and paint removal....

But again - the whole thing is a real science.... and it's amazing what people can do with compressed gas and assorted materials entrained in the stream...

One of the most amazing things I have ever seen is ice crystal blasting, where super small snow flakes (ice crystals) are manufactured in the process and they hit the object to be blasted with such force that they simultaneously abrade the material to be removed and the kinetic energy converts into heat upon impact and the ice flash evaporates at the same time - as in it's dry grit / gritless blasting.

It's used to clean the oil and oxide film off steel gears prior to nitriding etc.

No detergent, no solvent, no "waste product" no dust, no corrosion - nothing...

Get a $20 super cheap auto sand blaster anyway... have a go, learn something new.

Also when doing the sand blasting, DON'T even think of using the white fiber dust masks, get a proper silicone rubber respirator, with a filter for silica dust.

A percentage of the SAND fractures into a superfine and fully inhalable dust.

It causes silicosis. This is BAD.

I use the SUNSTROM brand of respirators.....

Try it - find out, then make your mind up.