PDA

View Full Version : Metal suppliers?

Schtoo
24th Jan 2006, 01:21 AM
Greetings and salatations and all that crap.

Looking for somewhere either in Melbourne or will ship internationally where I can get some O1 tool steel and/or some brass sheets and strips.

The O1, 3mm-6mm thick, 50-75mm wide. I'm not fussy just so long as it's cheapish. Best I can find online so far is 1/8"x2 1/2"x18" for about AUS$23. The problem is that coming from the US, I get done for shipping which is a gimme, but I also get hit with a currency conversion from Aussie to Yank. Figure if I can get it in Oz, then I can skip the conversion dud. Might even get nailed for customs on steel, don't know yet.

Brass, pretty much whatever, again as long as it's cheap.

If it's in Melbourne, I can get dad to grab it and send it, and see if he can't stuff in some of my scrap copper too.

If not, somewhere easy to deal with and cheapish. In that order.

Stoopid thing is that I can't seem to find it locally. I know it's around, but no one knows where the stuff is.

No big hurry, but I need to make up a few planes and other bits and bobs before I can make some wood stuff. :o

Thanks. :)

Clinton1
24th Jan 2006, 10:37 AM
Mate, other than O2 and brass (is there something in particular?) what quantities are you talking.
PM me and I'll do a bit of looking.
or here:
Bohler-Uddenholm (the parent company/group name)

UDDEHOLM K.K.
Nishi Shinbashi Tokyo Building; 3-16-11 Nishi Shinbashi; Minato-ku
JP-1050003 Tokyo
+81/3/5473-4641
+81/3/5473-7691

They may sell in sizes you don't want, but I'm sure they can put you onto a local outlet.

www.buau.com.au is the aussie site, has all product specs available as downloads.

Schtoo
24th Jan 2006, 11:26 AM
That's a pretty big company there...

I only need enough steel to make 3 or 4 blades, so about 2 feet is plenty.

What I really want is 2.5-3" wide, at least 1/8" but no more than 1/4" thick steel.

And simple is best. :D

Clinton1
24th Jan 2006, 01:00 PM
No worries, I'll look around.

I was thinking that they could point you in the direction of a local supplier that buys from them.
Gives you a starting point to find a place that sells what you want. That was my thought.

Schtoo
25th Jan 2006, 12:29 AM
In Oz, that would be a likely possibility.

But considering that there is a blacksmith around here and he refused to make plane blades for me, and then refused to sell me the steel to make my own (because that's his job?), I don't have much time and patience for the local clowns.

Not an uncommon story though, and it's nothing to do with me not being a local. Just the way they are around here. Culminating in the small fact that most folks here don't know Jaques Schmidt about anything not within their little scope of specialization. It does work to a degree, but annoys the crap out of me.

And you guys wonder why I end up making so much stuff, mostly it's because I don't have much ^%$^%$^ choice... :mad:

Tis getting better though as I find my own little perks and things. Also means that I should (theoretically) be able to make an absolute killing, providing I find my own little niche. :)

Clinton1
25th Jan 2006, 05:32 PM
PM'd you

benyop
25th Jan 2006, 07:01 PM
why dont you use a piece of gauge plate it is available in all sorts of thin sections like you require and is ground to size allready, you can buys this in aus from most engineering supplies places such as hales tool and die. It is available in 500mm and 1000mm lengths. As for getting bar stock I dont like your chances of getting stuff in those dimensions most of it will require machining to the sizes you need. But bohler in melbourne will sell you a small piece for a cash sale in you want, probbably wont be o2 but there equivelant. $23 aus isn't to bad a price if u want a foot of it either.

MathewA
25th Jan 2006, 07:41 PM
You might want to do to the Starrett website and see if they have a suplier in Japan. Starrett have a good brand of O1 tool steel

Clinton1
25th Jan 2006, 08:22 PM
mate, $23 was for what size?

Schtoo
26th Jan 2006, 01:03 AM
1/8" thick, 2.5" wide, 18"long O1 precision ground for $19.20US from McMaster Carr.

Looks like thats where I will have to go for the steel at least...

Benyop, just checked that out, and it might even be a goer.

Thing is, I don't need somethng seriously thick, the way I make planes doesn't need anything more than 1/8" really, but it might be nice to have that extra bit of meat.

It's all getting too bleeding difficult... ;)