PDA

View Full Version : Help on batch production (Alessi Kettle)

Chaz
19th Jan 2006, 01:51 AM
Hi all,

I am currently studying Industrial Design at university in the UK. In teams of 6 we have been set a small reverse design project based on the Alessi Hob Kettle by Michael Graves. My part in the team is to figure out how to make a small batch of these things (10-50 units).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/npj999/alessikettle.jpgProduced in polished steel.

Whilst I have found loads of info on mass production (much to my team mates delight), I cant find much on small batches. This is where I hope you guys/girls can come in and help me out. As lets face it you can get so much from books, but a far better source of info are the people out there getting their hands dirty.

I am particular interested in:
How the body shape would be created? Some sort of press???
How the base would be attached? Metal folding??? Thanks for any knowledge you may have on this,
Chaz

HODGSON
19th Jan 2006, 02:00 PM
We do this exact project at our university as well!

Are you from Loughborough University by any chance? I'm Mr Hodgson, the Head of Department in Design and Technology there, and i sincerely hope you are not from Lboro University as well. If you are, i would recommend you find the research yourself in future and stop being a plagiarist.
However, if you are not from the LU, please note:

The body shape would be created in batch production by rolling a flat triangular sheet of steel around a wooden press.

The base could be attached by electric-ark welding internally to hide any seem lines.

TassieKiwi
19th Jan 2006, 03:15 PM
Of all the luck! Imagine being from the UK and being busted on this forum by a pointy head in the UK! Cor.

ernknot
19th Jan 2006, 08:01 PM
"seam lines" I hope. Hope you don't design the way you spell??

HODGSON
20th Jan 2006, 12:44 AM
"seam lines" I hope. Hope you don't design the way you spell??

Sorry, it was rather late/early in the UK when I posted that!

Well spotted

bsrlee
20th Jan 2006, 01:36 AM
Actually the body piece would be shaped like the paper body of a folding fan - if you use a triangular pattern it definitely won't work, the 'top' and 'bottom' must be arcs.

An 'ark' welder won't work either, I don't care how many boats or church chests you burn. An 'arc' welder might work, but it would blow big holes in the sheet metal. Use a 'TIG' or 'MIG' welder - MIG is also called GMAW IIRC.

If the kettle is designed to go on an electric hotplate, the 'bottom' seam would have to be flat, so no roll over. If not ( gas only) any rollover/upset would be done with a 'Jenny'. The jenny would also be used to make any rollover at the top, and could be used to make the locating lip on the lid, after it had been domed by spinning on a lathe, using a wooden internal form. For a one-off job, it could be made by stretching & shrinking using a dishing block, large silversmiths hammers & some anvil stakes - plus lots of elbow grease.

HODGSON
20th Jan 2006, 01:54 AM
Of all the luck! Imagine being from the UK and being busted on this forum by a pointy head in the UK! Cor.

LOL>>>He's just been schoolboyed!!!

Chaz
20th Jan 2006, 02:14 AM

Ok, for any of you out there that are a little confused about this whole situation. "Mr Hodgson" was infact my flat mate! yep he got me going too!

Thanks for all your help and dont worry i always reference my sources at the bottom of my work anyway. lol

Wood Butcher
20th Jan 2006, 08:43 AM
An 'ark' welder won't work either, I don't care how many boats or church chests you burn. An 'arc' welder might work, but it would blow big holes in the sheet metal. Use a 'TIG' or 'MIG' welder - MIG is also called GMAW IIRC.
Actually I think that he is correct is saying arc welding. GMAW does stand Gas Metal Arc Welding.

The other option is resistance welding (spot welding). I have seen resistance seam welders with rollers for electrodes. With the right jigs that could work really well.

bitingmidge
20th Jan 2006, 07:47 PM

errr??? is that you Rog??

:eek: :eek: :eek:
P

echnidna
20th Jan 2006, 07:57 PM
I'd form the body by metal spinning.