PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Welder

Just George
15th Jan 2006, 12:29 AM
My father showed me his Inverter Welder the other day, I had a go and I did the best welding I have ever done before. Has anyone else had any experience in using one of these..?

Just George
15th Jan 2006, 03:40 PM
Let me just say, for those who don't know. It transforms AC current into DC current which makes striking and holding an arc easier.

Even though I know this, I am still looking for any input into them, while my fatehr in knowlegeable about a lot of things, he may have his wires crossed.

Grahame Collins
15th Jan 2006, 05:34 PM
With reference to welders, the term "inverter" merely means manufacturers are now able to manufacture at a realistic price something that the aircraft industry knew back in World War II; That being the higher the frequency the less iron and copper needed in a transformer.

That reality leads to less expense to manufacture a machine because less material is used.
In today's world of solid state electronics, it is simple to convert 50 Hz incoming power to any desired multiple of 50 Hz, transform that power and then convert it to any waveform that is desired, or DC to the welding electrode.
Inverter welders have very little heat loss in comparison to transformer machines. It gives the inverter machine the ability to utilise nearly all of its input current where as a transformer could lose up to 20% efficiency due to heat loss.

What that means to the welding operator is that he is able to maintain an arc in welding circumstances that would cause a conventional transformer welder to make the electrode stick to the work. I have run a 5mm diameter electrode on an inverter machine at the invitation of the rep and tried to make it stick to the job.I was unable to do so. The arc was maintained even to the point of it being buried in the work. This is what would make them attractive to the beginner. What won’t make the machines attractive to the amateur is the purchase price.

I hope this helps to explain inverters in a small way.

Grahame

Greg Q
15th Jan 2006, 06:05 PM
Hi Graham...

The cheap inverter welders on ebay ($200-300) not worth it?
What's the best bet for a beginner who will never do enough to
be fantastic at it?

Thanks-

Greg

Grahame Collins
15th Jan 2006, 07:37 PM
I can't really say.
I would assume you get what you pays for as they say! If you are a newby to welding ,an inverter will not be an advantage really. It won't teach you how to strike an arc and run a bead.Its advantage is that it can make the bead run appear smoother. If you are going to use welding 3 times a year a $90 a GMC arc welder would do you just fine.
Grahame

Greg Q
15th Jan 2006, 07:48 PM
OK, thanks. I can't afford a GMC, but I know what you mean.
I see transarc welders and similar go for around $100-$150 often. I'll try and find one of those.

Greg

Just George
16th Jan 2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the insight...

Pulpo
17th Jan 2006, 11:44 AM
I was led to believe [only by a sales rep] that the inverter can not only weld thicker material for its size but also be used as a tig machine.

Is this correct?

Could I use it to weld stainless steel and ally?

Can a stick [mmaw] welder, weld SS and ally?

I know a mig can weld SS and Ally but not sure the cost to convert to each metal type; the wire and linings [excluding the gas] and whether they could be stored and used at a later stage.

If I ever have the money I would acquire a good MIG as the stick is tough with thin steel.

I have a stick welder, that’s half decent, my welding ability is average, if the project is sitting flat on the welding table and between 5-10mm thick I can do an ok job.

If its on site in an over head position forget it.

I never realised the inverter produces a smoother weld; is it mainly used like a MMAW?

All very interesting.

good luck with your purchase

Cheers

Pulpo

Pulpo
17th Jan 2006, 11:44 AM
I was led to believe [only by a sales rep] that the inverter can not only weld thicker material for its size but also be used as a tig machine.

Is this correct?

Could I use it to weld stainless steel and ally?

Can a stick [mmaw] welder, weld SS and ally?

I know a mig can weld SS and Ally but not sure the cost to convert to each metal type; the wire and linings [excluding the gas] and whether they could be stored and used at a later stage.

If I ever have the money I would acquire a good MIG as the stick is tough with thin steel.

I have a stick welder, that’s half decent, my welding ability is average, if the project is sitting flat on the welding table and between 5-10mm thick I can do an ok job.

If its on site in an over head position forget it.

I never realised the inverter produces a smoother weld; is it mainly used like a MMAW?

All very interesting.

good luck with your purchase

Cheers

Pulpo

Edd
17th Jan 2006, 08:20 PM
Pulpo,
With any TIG (and probably stick) welder you can weld Stainless steel providing you have the right electrode(s). For aluminium with TIG, you need an AC machine, which cost a fair bit more. The lowest I've seen one without really looking around is about $3000. Pure argon gas would do steel, stainless or ali.

Grahame Collins
18th Jan 2006, 09:00 AM
Pulpo
You got to give up listening to salesmen mate.They will only tell part of the truth.Thats the bit that makes you want to buy their product.Conveniently they forget to mention the downsides. Here is what you should know before parting with any of your hard earned dollars. A few contributors have the notion that new welding technology will compensate for their lack of skill. Each process has its advantages and limitations. A bit of searching the net will yield some really good info which will help learners to acquire the skill.I am trying to do my bit but the amount of info is vast and I am a slow typist. I have yet to finish the unit on migs.I will do a unit later, on selection of welding processes and advantages.
Anyway back to inverters.
When I taught TIG welding at TAFE some of the guys from the sugar mills brought in their own (work) inverter TIG units to weld with.
Smaller than some plastic lunchboxes they could be hung by a strap to a hook on the wall of the welding bay.They were for steel only mind you ,Aluminium as Edd as pointed out requires an AC power source with HF to keep it going. IF you need to weld Al or SS ask these salesmen what specifically is required and is the equipment supplied with the welder and if not is it readily available and what will it cost.
Inverters while highly efficient WILL NOT COMPENSATE FOR LACK OF SKILL.

Skill comes only with practice based upon knowlege

cheers
Grahame