PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Advice

Wood Butcher
14th Jan 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm after some advice on metal sizes for a trailer that I am starting to build. The trailer will be 7' long and 4' wide based on the "Nathan" trailer that the old boy has. I have the sheet metal sides already folded up and the floor cut to size.
What I am wondering is the wall thickness of the RHS for the sub-frame and the drawbar. The sub-frame RHS will be 35mm square and the drawbar 65x35mm (I think). I will mainly be using the trailer for hauling rubbish to the tip and for carrying all of our camping gear when we go away (maybe a canoe too), so I have no plans of being able to carry huge heavy loads.

Any recommendations would be appreciated as I hope to start to gather materials in the next couple of weeks.

Grahame Collins
14th Jan 2006, 06:46 PM
If you use anything less than 3 mm thickness it will be a PITA to weld.
Trailers that where never meant to carry more than a "X" load always seem to get lent to some one intent on destroying the unit.Always build 50% better than you need. Cheapskate on materials and you will pay for it later,
trust me!
cheers
Grahame

Schtoo
14th Jan 2006, 07:07 PM
Ditto what Grahame said.

Also, if it's possible, try and get some shockers under there too. Makes a huge difference under light loads. I wouldn't have thought so myself till I drove a dinky 6x4 that had some dampers under it when it had nothing on board, and when it was loaded. Thing was just planted to the road all the time.

soundman
15th Jan 2006, 12:25 AM
Make sure you make the tray at least 1240 wide inside.
Much better for getting sheet goods in.
cheers