PDA

View Full Version : Nickel plating

Clinton1
5th Jan 2006, 05:59 PM
I have some old bike parts that are pretty expensive to replace new.
Originally they were chrome, now they are just shabby looking.
I'm thinking about getting them nickel plated, and wondered if anyone could throw some light on the subject.
I've googled the subject, but some practical views would be appreciated.
The parts are dress (i.e. indicator stems and similiar), not moving and while I don't need original tolerances, if the plating changes the dimensions and shape too much, it'll devalue the bike/part.

Any advice and thoughts appreciated, as its all a mystery to me at the moment.

ozwinner
5th Jan 2006, 07:29 PM
Take them to a plater, the dont charge that much and less likely to stuff it up.

Al :D

Gra
5th Jan 2006, 07:49 PM
If you are thinking of going to a plater, try and find one by recomendation, we have had some stuff done and it was shocking, we have even had stuff lost by platers.

I have found a good one in Nunawading. Just had some stuff done. Turned out really good and was reasonably cheap. Let me know if you are interested

Clinton1
5th Jan 2006, 08:08 PM
By "platers", are we talking nickel plating?

I'm showing my ignorance here aren't I?

ozwinner
5th Jan 2006, 08:18 PM
By "platers", are we talking nickel plating?

I'm showing my ignorance here aren't I?

Could be........:rolleyes:
Or it could be a plate of fish and chips...........:D

Al :cool:

Gra
5th Jan 2006, 08:32 PM
I am talking about the guy applying the nickel to the object of choice. Just dont try and plate Zinc (It melts in the cleaning bath. learnt that the hard way)

Clinton1
5th Jan 2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your input Al, ummmm with vinegar?

Gra, thanks, if you could pm me the name of the people you went through I'd appreciate it.

Sturdee
5th Jan 2006, 09:47 PM
I have found a good one in Nunawading. Just had some stuff done. Turned out really good and was reasonably cheap. Let me know if you are interested

Would that one be on Whitehorse Road on the left going towards the city just past Springvale road.

If so, I had some plating done there about 28 years ago, and they were good and cheap then. Got a free plumbing part plated for 50 cents whilst a new one would have cost $ 20. Still in use in the bathroom, still as good as new.

Peter.

Schtoo
6th Jan 2006, 01:36 AM
That place in Nunawading is good. Dad got some stuff done there a while ago, cheap and good job just like everyone else says.

Why not get them to chrome plate the things again? Chrome is just another step along from nickel, and they will prolly have to clean the part, copper plate to get the nickel on there anyways...

Clinton1
6th Jan 2006, 07:57 AM
Schtoo -
Some parts have the nickel plate as original, and that is what I'm trying to achieve with the bike.
I didn't realise just how much "original" was going to cost me, but can't stop 1/2 way through. :rolleyes:

Mick C.
6th Jan 2006, 08:53 AM
If you go to a decent Electro Plater, they will be able to do Nickle , chrome, silver gold etc etc etc plating, as a comparison, nickle is a lil more yellow than chrome. The people should know by looking at the job you want to do, what it was originally, within reason. I got some pieces of a No6 carter plane done recently to make the poor old thing look like new again, and went nickle rather then chrome trying to make it look a lil closer to original, all be it new.