PDA

View Full Version : Old Forbes lathe

Dano48
17th Dec 2005, 09:35 PM
Hello everybody, I have just joined this group to see if I can get some help, it goes like this, I am looking for manual/parts list for a lathe made in Taiwan that used to be imported and sold by a company name Forbes(Aust.)Pty.Ltd. they are in Adelaide, (I e-mail them but it seems they had a fire a while ago and lost all records) the lathe is a model KS-3.5FK, made in 70's/80's, it has KS cast at back of bed, I have a photo of it but I don't know if I can upload it to this post, if any body can help I greatly appreciate it,
Richard.

Edd
18th Dec 2005, 07:19 AM
Forbes? :confused:

To upload a photo, just click to add reply, then scroll down the page a little bit and click 'manage attachments'.
Then, click 'choose file' in the popup that appears, select the photo from your computer, then click 'upload'. Just close that pop-up window and click submit reply after that and you're done.
These directions are labelled in the picture in blue -sorry if my drawing is messy, I did it on a laptop trackpad.

Edd
18th Dec 2005, 07:30 AM
There's the possibility that your image will be bigger than 100KB in size, so if you get an error, you can't upload it that way. If this happens, go to www.imageshack.us and follow their instructions. After it's uploaded, copy what's inside the box next to 'hotlink for forums (1)' and paste it to us here. After you click submit reply, your image will be on here.

Greg Q
18th Dec 2005, 08:40 AM
Oddly enough, there was one on ebay last week.

search for item # 7569 1033 03.

The seller seemed very helpful-he emailed me a copy of his 2-page manual.
He may still have paper or put you in touch with the buyer.

I hope this helps

Greg

Dano48
18th Dec 2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Edd, I think I've got the hang of it now, yes Forbes, and I think also it has Herless Machinery on it as well, I can check tomorrow,( is the one at work!) it is in need of TLC and I want the exploded view (parts list) before I strip it down, just in case, and Greg this is the picture Michael send me , he's the one that sold the one on E-bay the other day, but he doesn't have anything else on it, I have tried Jet in America because they use to sell this model under their brand name in those days, but they have nothing, surely there must be someone in Australia that has one,they mus have sold more than one,I hope!:) .
Richard

Edd
18th Dec 2005, 06:19 PM
That's a very similar lathe to some of the models at my school (Hercus brand). All I can recommend if a blown out plan can't be found is a digital camera. Take heaps of photos of the parts as you disassemble it, as well as putting them into labelled plastic bags and drawing diagrams.

Dano48
18th Dec 2005, 06:47 PM
:eek: This Hercus ones, they wouldn't be the 260 model by any chance? would they? :eek: please tell me they are,:eek: I have a full Hercus manual since the seventies and is my dream lathe, I missed out on a Tafe auction they had in Tassie a couple of years ago, they had 2 and they went for about a grand each, I didn't know much about auctions then, so I wasn't sure about bidding on line.Bummer!:) .

Edd
18th Dec 2005, 07:15 PM
BINGO! Mostly 260's and some other weird looking ones with big belt covers.

Dano48
18th Dec 2005, 07:41 PM
I think the "weird ones" are the model A and/or B, they are older than the 260's, if you happen to know that they are going to upgrade your school machinery or they are going to auction them off, you let me know, ok,
Cheers Edd,
Richard.

HiString
21st Dec 2005, 07:22 PM
Dano,

You may find something (not specifically Forbes, but) here http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html or here http://www.lathes.co.uk/hercus/index.html.

From the recent experience of stripping down an old Australian Brackenbury and Austin lathe without any documentation, I would support the suggestion of photgraphing and documenting the entire process..............you won't regret it.

:cool:

Dano48
24th Dec 2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that info, but I already found a manual, and is from someone in Brisbane, I will pick it up after the festive season ,
Best wishes to all !!
Richard.