PDA

View Full Version : hacksaw blades

Farm boy
11th Dec 2005, 05:11 AM
my local hardware store was closed so i had to go to bunnies to get a hack saw blade i asked the girl behind the counter the difference in the blades and quality but she could not tell me
can anyone here tell me is it worth getting a $5 hss blade or just a $2 special ,what is the difference?
cheers
greg

Edd
11th Dec 2005, 08:20 AM
$5 HSS. It probably costs you $3 per blade alone just to run back and buy decent ones after you realise how bad the $2 ones are.
Well, they might not be too bad, but I find hacksawing to be a PITA enough as it is, so it helps to have a really good blade.

Greg Q
11th Dec 2005, 09:38 AM
I hate hacksawing too, and have tried a few different blades in the hope of making it go faster/smoother/better. In order, I like Sandvik, then Lennox, then, a very distant third, Sutton.

For what it's worth...

Greg

barnsey
11th Dec 2005, 10:23 AM
I used to work for stanley/sidchrome (many years ago) and I tend to prefer them. Cheap blades - forget 'em. It's the old adage - you get what you pay for;)

Greg Q
11th Dec 2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks Barnsey...I'll look for them next time I need blades. I can't remember ever seeing them, but I haven't shopped for them that often.

Greg

Farm boy
12th Dec 2005, 02:29 AM
thanks guys
i thought i was the only one who hated hacksawing:D
cheers
greg

Coldamus
12th Dec 2005, 10:10 AM
Quite apart from the blade, the rigidity of the hacksaw frame makes a huge difference. For years I put up with my old hacksaw frame that needed bending back into shape every time I used it. Then a few months ago I decided to do something about it. I went looking for something better and ended up buying a Stanley "Fat Max" hacksaw.

The reputation of Stanley tools has declined in recent years but the "Fat Max" series seems quite good quality. I can certainly vouch for their hacksaw. It has a cast frame that is totally rigid and allows you to put a lot of tension on the blade. The handle is integral with the frame and has a comfortable rubber hand grip.

In use there is not a sign of flex and cutting with it is a pleasure - just effortess compared to my old licorice frame. I actually enjoy cutting metal now. I think it cost about $28 but could be wrong on that. Whatever the price, it was worth it. The blades with it seem OK.

regards
Coldamus

Greg Q
12th Dec 2005, 10:21 AM
.....ended up buying a Stanley "Fat Max" hacksaw.

The reputation of Stanley tools has declined in recent years but the "Fat Max" series seems quite good quality. I can certainly vouch for their hacksaw. ...
regards
Coldamus

I can add my kudos to the Fat Max line as well. I have a tape measure and a framing hammer in that line, and both are great tools. I bought the hammer at a big tool sale in Canada and had my choice of 50% off on any of the upscale brands, yet chose the Stanley.

Greg

barnsey
12th Dec 2005, 05:04 PM
Must agree that the frame is an important number - again I have the Stanley Professional series which has the lever actoin tensioner - a big plus.