PDA

View Full Version : An odd one-Oxy acetylene gear...

Nos4r2
14th Nov 2005, 08:04 AM
Hi guys...

A friend of mine is just about to move from the UK over to Australia and he was wondering if he'd have to buy new regulators for his oxy-acetylene,MIG and TIG gear or are the bottles a standard thread?

Ashore
14th Nov 2005, 04:54 PM
Nos4r2
Welcome to the forum

Mate the only way to check is to get your mate to give the valve types of the bottles. This information is stamped on the valves on the bottles
If he can give you these then you can check with BOC and they will be able to tell you if the threads match.
But note the valve information
not the gauges model nos. etc

Rgds

Ashore

ozwinner
14th Nov 2005, 05:00 PM
Isnt it standard across the board?
BOC is after all the British Oxygen Company?
I think you will find we have adopted most, if not all the British Standards, all they do is change the BS to AS.

Al :confused:

Ashore
14th Nov 2005, 05:27 PM
It wasn't in the 60's Uk And jap fittings were diffrent to ours
Tig and Mig came later and proberly are universal

When BOC bought out CIG australia they didn't change the fittings out here

I realise Nos4r2 that you are in the UK so if you PM me with the valve info. I will give BOC a call and find out
Will be away for about a week but will call when I get back

Rgds

Ashore

graemet
14th Nov 2005, 10:31 PM
Can't vouch for the UK but there doesn't seem to be a standard cylinder thread worldwide. I bought a coupling for an oxy bottle from the USA and had to buy a new tail fitting from BOC before it would fit the local bottles. The good news is that the hose and regulator threads appear to be standard, so you would only need to buy the new coupling, not the whole regulator.
Cheers
Graeme

Grahame Collins
16th Nov 2005, 07:31 AM
Australian oxygen cylinder pressure runs about 2000 Psi. Who knows what pressure is used elsewhere? The best course of action will be for your friend to wait until he gets here and take the regulator to a BOC branch.

They will refer him to a licenced repair agent who can effect such modifications if at all possible.
If you take the cheap option and DIY it will be illegal.Mess up with this stuff and you are likely to be on the recieving end of an enormous explosion.

Many operators of oxy acetylene plant are not even aware that oil and grease should be kept well away from the oxygen regualators.There is a special pink coloured oil less tape thread that must be used.
Play it safe and deal with the proffessionals in this case.

Grahame