PDA

View Full Version : Ironbark and Bolt corrosion

Don51
4th Nov 2005, 07:50 PM
My second attempt I have come over from the Ironbark timber site.

I am restoring a 1927 Chevrolet truck. I have used the timber patterns which my grandfather used back in 27'. My concern is how to stop the Zinc bolts from corroding or should I go straight to S/Steel and how to fix the top boards to the rails Biscuit/screw.

I am using 15mm *350mm cup head bolts and they corroded after 6 months in the Ironbark.
All suggestions welcome.

Don

Grahame Collins
4th Nov 2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Don,
You are dealing with a number of factors at once on your truck body.
Tannic acid
Electrolytic corrosion
Air borne corrosion- air and moisture.
You will see zinc coated bolts on aluminium trayback utes corrode from the same thing sans tannic acid from the ironback

Go stainless steel for shure but get the best 316 is marine grade stainless steel bolts. I suspect the iron bark tannins will still attack the stainless slightly.
My approach would be to sleeve the bolt shank in a plastic tube of some sort to reduce timber to metal contact.
Perhaps you might set up a test piece ss bolt and ironbark timber before you fully committed yourself?
I had a TATA (Indian speak for crap ) ute on which I used that technique.It worked there in stopping zinc to aluminium corrosion, so it may vey well work for you.
Grahame

Don51
4th Nov 2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks grahame, The plastic sleeve idea could work and go straight to S/S.

Don

fxst
5th Nov 2005, 02:35 PM
Don re the top rail I would use dowels rather than biscuits and screw as well depending on the needed strength in the part
Pete
biccies go soggy when dunked in tea too :D

glock40sw
5th Nov 2005, 05:09 PM
G'day.

About 15 years ago, we supplied 20 container loads of Grey Ironbark to Japan for marine decking.
They used S/steel bugle head screws, dipped in neutral cure Silicone.
They drilled the hole for the screws and spun them in with a drill in the usual manner, fixing the GIBK decking to Spotted Gum joists, and on other sites, to S/Steel joists. The silicone sealed the wood from the screw and also sealed both from the salt water. Once the screws were installed, they then cut plugs from the GIBK and covered the heads of all the screws.
Looked bloody fantastic when it was finished.
Today the decking is as good as the day it was fitted.
They have had no screw failure.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton.

Don51
5th Nov 2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks Trevor, any pic on the subject.

Are you by chance a member of Grafton PC because of your pic?

Thanks Pete, the boards are 1.2m * 90mm*16mm and the rails are 4.5m*70mm*45mm wide
Should the dowels be 10mm every 200mm about 50mm long?
The timber has been stacked for 5 years and has had 3 coats of marine varnish. I was thinking of 1 more coat before installing and then 1 or 2 coats when in final position

Don

glock40sw
6th Nov 2005, 11:53 AM
G'day Don.

Yep sure am.
I am the President.
And also IPSC delegate.
I will have a look around work to see if I can find some photos of the job.

Hooroo,
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Don51
6th Nov 2005, 12:56 PM
Trevor,

I'm from Illawarra PC. Loved R/F
Was into IPSC since 1988
Metallic. B/P Loved them all.
Taking a break handed in lic.
Still Life Member
Good to see nice images when available

Don Scott

Ticky
7th Nov 2005, 11:39 PM
Trevor & Don, I think the hole in the end is too small, the pipe in the middle is too short & you are sending too few bits down the length at a time. Give em a sporting chance I say, hit em on the move & miss a few for breeding. 12g, The bigger the bang, the better I like it.

Ticky

glock40sw
8th Nov 2005, 09:35 AM
G'day Ticky.

Yep...Loved the Remington 870 for IPSC shotgun stages.
That was until Jackboot Johnie, the Midget Troll decided that we were a threat to ourselves and stole them back in 1996.

You would be surprised how many lumps of lead can be hurled from the barrel of a GLOCK 9mm in anger.
All the paper targets tremble and shake with fear :D .

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton

Don51
8th Nov 2005, 05:12 PM
I used a SPAZ 12 Lovely piece of work I can still see it on Stargate and The Matrix. Just point and squeeze NICE.

I am going to sleeve the Ironbark with plastic and come down a bolt size.
Have been to GRQ at Warilla every thing stainless

I now have all new S/S turnbuckles (2)and clevis (14) for the brake and hand brake rods $194.00. The rod was $50.00

The jigsaw is about to begin:- re-sand and repaint the chassis

Position valances
Ironbark timber beams, patterns, rails and top deck.
Mount motor, gear box
Vacuum tank
Fuel tank
Wire loom

The next big job will be the rear diff and brakes

Should be ready for Christmas I did not say which one ha ha!!!!

I also found another use for all the cedar shavings I have accumulated - someone said they were very good for smoking fish, mainly salmon

Thanks you all this site has be of great help

Don Scott

Ticky
9th Nov 2005, 02:40 PM
Don,
Sorry to go, ... Side by side on your thread (I know how bad that was, but I can do worse)

I had the Remington 1100 semi auto but he took mine as well as Trev's.

I still have a Winchester 101 lightweight blue. 50 of them were sent to Australia by mistake & I was lucky enough the get one of them. Used to be a Simulated Field & game shooter, but I don't go to the club much these days. no time.

ticky