PDA

View Full Version : Trailer

rod1949
19th Sep 2005, 12:05 PM
This is what I've been making over the last few months. 10 x 5 tandem trailer, 2 tonne, 2 cubic metres capacity. The total cost of materials etc is $4,574.00.

silentC
19th Sep 2005, 12:13 PM
Nice one. What are you hauling in it? Be great for getting firewood!! You wont misplace it in a hurry ;)

Andy Mac
19th Sep 2005, 12:15 PM
Great job Rod. Looks like a lifetime of faithful service out of something that solid!
Cheers,

rod1949
19th Sep 2005, 12:20 PM
Nice one. What are you hauling in it? Be great for getting firewood!! You wont misplace it in a hurry ;)

Gunna become an house Owner/Builder so it'll be very usefull in rubbish/rubble removal and carrying new materials.

RETIRED
19th Sep 2005, 12:25 PM
Why isn't there overspray on the tyres? Not very professional. :rolleyes: :D

rod1949
19th Sep 2005, 12:26 PM
Great job Rod. Looks like a lifetime of faithful service out of something that solid!
Cheers,

Yep it should last me for the rest of my life. It weighs 650kgs. I could of bought an 8x5 cheaper but they all looked flimsy.

rod1949
19th Sep 2005, 12:30 PM
Why isn't there overspray on the tyres? Not very professional. :rolleyes: :D

Sorry (LoL). With age comes knowledge. I prepared and sprayed the rims before I put the tyres on em and sprayed the trailer with the wheels removed. But knowledge is dangerous.

graemet
19th Sep 2005, 11:50 PM
A great job, Rod. My trailer was built by my Dad about 1955 out of some 2" angle bed rails, the wheels off a Humber Hawk, some 2nd hand oregon bargeboards for the sides and some discarded hardwood floorboards for the floor. It's still going although the wooden bits have been replaced! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
Cheers,
Graeme

dan_tom
20th Sep 2005, 02:01 AM
Well Done!
That is one schmick trailer. You are using my dream rig... TTandBFT (Toyota Troopy and Trailer of Large Proportions :eek: ) I know the description does not match the anagram but hey, thats english for you.
Congrats
Cheers
Tom :D :D :D

Barry_White
20th Sep 2005, 10:28 AM
Have you registered it yet. I don't know about WA but in NSW I think you have to be a Registered Trailer manufacturer to get them registered or you have to get an engineers certificate to certify that it is roadworthy.

Here in NSW you can't even homemake a towbar for a car without it being engineered and all things steel have to be welded by a qualified welder.

Great looking trailer by the way and I have seen bought ones that you wouldn't want to tow anyway.

zathras
20th Sep 2005, 06:46 PM
No such requirement exists in Victoria about manufacture.

They are more worried about proof of ownership than anything else it seem here.

Mind you I'd suspect that if the thing looks in any way dodgy they would be sending you off to get a roadworthy certificate first....

rod1949
3rd Oct 2005, 02:20 PM
Have you registered it yet. I don't know about WA but in NSW I think you have to be a Registered Trailer manufacturer to get them registered or you have to get an engineers certificate to certify that it is roadworthy.

Here in NSW you can't even homemake a towbar for a car without it being engineered and all things steel have to be welded by a qualified welder.

Great looking trailer by the way and I have seen bought ones that you wouldn't want to tow anyway.

Barry, at the time of your question I had not registered the trailer and therefore couldn't answer it.

I have registered it now, it was inspected by the Vehicle Inspectors and passed with flying colours.

Barry_White
3rd Oct 2005, 02:33 PM
Barry, at the time of your question I had not registered the trailer and therefore couldn't answer it.

I have registered it now, it was inspected by the Vehicle Inspectors and passed with flying colours.

Thats great Rod, probably different rules for different states. In Queensland they run around in heaps of rust buckets that would never pass in NSW. The only time you don't have to have an inspection on a car is if it is less than three years old otherwise it is inspected every 12 months. I believe in QLD once passed always passed until it is sold. I suppose a QLDer will tell me otherwise.

I had a towbar knocked back at rego time because it didn't have the Manufactures name or the carrying capacity stamped on it.

BTW it was a great looking trailer so it would probably pass on apperance alone.

DanP
3rd Oct 2005, 05:32 PM
Same in VIC as QLD Barry. RWC is not req'd till you sell. Unless I lay eyes on it that is. ;)

colbra
5th Oct 2005, 10:35 PM
Hi Rod
Like your trailer. Had a sticky in your workshop;you left the door open hope you don't mind ;)
Regards Col

rod1949
6th Oct 2005, 10:07 AM
Hi Rod
Had a sticky in your workshop;you left the door open hope you don't mind ;)
Regards Col

Not a problem... its a bit like the black hole.

johnc
9th Oct 2005, 07:10 PM
Nice trailer, used to have one that size with 2 tonne rocker springs each side, same weight. Pretty useful especially with the higher sides you've put in. Before towing rules changed we had no trouble putting in 4 tonne, and the overrides pulled you up OK. Trailers now had its 30th birthday and is still going strong but has found a new home, full it towed as sweet as anything, empty and there was a bit to much vibration from the rigged springs. In all that time its only had bearings changed and the odd brake cylinder.

John.

MrFixIt
10th Oct 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi

Gunna become an house Owner/Builder so it'll be very usefull in rubbish/rubble removal and carrying new materials.When I became an owner builder, for $600 I bought a tandem 8 x 5 John Papas (WA) trailer (only 750kg though). It came complete with a 4' high metal and mesh cage including two gates at the back and ladder racks on either side of the trailer cage. I found this was more than strong enough for the materials I needed to transport.

I added two taller frames, one at each end of the trailer. This allows me to transport 7m plus beams.

davo453
12th Oct 2005, 11:42 AM
I think WA has the slackest laws re road worthiness (in Aus)), a vehicle only needs an inspection when it is first registered or if the rego is allowed to lapse.

The only other time it needs one is if the cops pull you for driving a rust bucket (or if you abuse them when pulled for speeding :cool: ). Surprisingly there aren’t all that many crook looking cars on the road.

Cheers

Dave

rod1949
12th Oct 2005, 11:50 AM
I think WA has the slackest laws re road worthiness (in Aus)), a vehicle only needs an inspection when it is first registered or if the rego is allowed to lapse.

The only other time it needs one is if the cops pull you for driving a rust bucket (or if you abuse them when pulled for speeding :cool: ). Surprisingly there aren’t all that many crook looking cars on the road.

Cheers

Dave

Yep I agree. Although I don't know what SA is like as its 37yrs since I left there and went to the NT for 20yrs. In the NT it was every 12mths your vehicle went over the pits for a through inspection, which really forced one to keep your vehicle in good nick.

RETIRED
12th Oct 2005, 11:03 PM

Cheers

Dave
Same in Victoria.

Wood Butcher
14th Oct 2005, 07:48 AM
Cheers

Dave

QLD is the same too.

davo453
14th Oct 2005, 11:02 AM
Ah well, another delusion dashed on the rocks of experiance :)

Bonjur

Dave

mattwolf
12th Sep 2009, 06:23 PM
that is a great looking trailer

Wahoon
19th Sep 2009, 01:04 AM
Now we just need to see piccies of it 'dirty'.

Cheers,
Wahoon.

Barry_White
20th Sep 2009, 12:39 AM
Now we just need to see piccies of it 'dirty'.

Cheers,
Wahoon.
I dare say that it would be dirty now and probably got a lot of that red paint knocked of it seeing the thread is four years old.

rod1949
29th Sep 2009, 02:28 PM
I dare say that it would be dirty now and probably got a lot of that red paint knocked of it seeing the thread is four years old.

My god... 4 years. The trailer has been invaluable. It has carried heaps of rubbish away in the demolition of my old house and currently has a load on it from the revamping of my garden/yard. It also brought heaps of new material in for the building of the new house. The paint has faded, but the whole unit is still in pretty good nick.