PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade to CNC without learning G-code

Turbine Builder
1st Nov 2021, 05:36 PM
I found this video I am not a CNC expert would like to hear what the people who have a home CNC set up think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMnH-LRCY8

https://www.maharn.com/

elanjacobs
1st Nov 2021, 09:10 PM
Very interesting, I especially like the use of interchangeable head tooling as an easy way to run multiple tools while keeping the Z axis more or less stable. One obvious issue is the lack of "look ahead" on the controller where it reads a certain number of code lines ahead so it moves smoothly instead of pausing after each line or arc while it works out where it's meant to be going next. That's just a software thing though, so I would hope (expect) it to be patched out for a Beta release.

nigelpearson
5th Nov 2021, 04:03 AM
www.Maharn (http://maharn.com).com
I'm guessing this will be a while to market.

0) Not fussed about the tooling aspect. He is saying that the tooling library allows easy swapping/sharing of tool paths to machine a particular object, but I can't see how that would be the case unless you have the exact same tool sizes?
i.e. If you don't have a 3mm ball cutter, or 12mm end-mill with 0.5 nose rad, something somewhere needs to re-process a tool path to that you can approximate it with a 2mm ball, or 10mm end mill with 0.1 nose rad?

1) Love the tablet idea for control, but not the current UI layout.
Undecided about (seemingly) using one app for both design and control.

2) The backlash compensation seems like it leaves a groove where it stops in the middle of the flat of the curve. A little slow and clunky. I'm wondering if continuing the cut while bringing the cutter away from the flat, and then circling back in, would give a neater finish?

3) The only software I know of that does simple backlash compensation, and allows linear scale feedback, is LinuxCNC. I'm guessing that is driving the backend?

elanjacobs
5th Nov 2021, 05:29 PM
0) Not fussed about the tooling aspect. He is saying that the tooling library allows easy swapping/sharing of tool paths to machine a particular object, but I can't see how that would be the case unless you have the exact same tool sizes?
i.e. If you don't have a 3mm ball cutter, or 12mm end-mill with 0.5 nose rad, something somewhere needs to re-process a tool path to that you can approximate it with a 2mm ball, or 10mm end mill with 0.1 nose rad?
Surely you'd be able to create your own tools? If not, it's bordering on a complete waste of time and effort.

2) The backlash compensation seems like it leaves a groove where it stops in the middle of the flat of the curve. A little slow and clunky. I'm wondering if continuing the cut while bringing the cutter away from the flat, and then circling back in, would give a neater finish?
You could certainly do that in G code ;) I think a better solution would simply to replace the nuts with spring loaded anti-backlash versions; waaay cheaper than a ballscrew conversion and plenty good enough for the target audience.

nigelpearson
5th Nov 2021, 06:48 PM
Surely you'd be able to create your own tools? If not, it's bordering on a complete waste of time and effort.

1) Agree.

2) He seemed to be saying the toolpaths could be shared between users.
e.g. I create/model/build a toolpath for widget A, and email it to you.

If you have the exact same tools I use, it will of course run identically (+/- tool wear).

If you don't, how do you modify the toolpath to accomodate a different edge radius inside a cavity?

It might be a terminology thing, toolpaths are derived from object design geometry.
If there aren't geometry references in the thing I share with you, only very limited tool substitution is possible

elanjacobs
6th Nov 2021, 05:20 PM
So...exactly the same as sharing a G code program; either you run the same tooling or you have to generate a new program. Not seeing an issue here to be honest, that's just how CNC works :shrug:

NGrimberg
27th Dec 2021, 08:57 PM
This method is ideal for low-volume job shop work since it requires less time to plan and process the machine's code. The work can be swiftly programmed by simply drawing the basic shapes in a CAD interface that incorporates the fundamental machining requirements. He created a CAD and control interface that appears intriguing and easier to use.

rcaffin
30th Dec 2021, 08:17 PM
So...exactly the same as sharing a G code program; either you run the same tooling or you have to generate a new program. Not seeing an issue here to be honest, that's just how CNC works
Well, not quite.
It ALL depends on how you create your g-code.
If you are doing it from a CAD model, you will need to go back the start.
However, if you are an experienced programmer using something like Mach, then anything is possible. For most of my CNC machining, I can change cutter size and edit one parameter (the cutter diameter) and the same object emerges. That is called parametric programming.

But let's go back to the start. Unless you buy a commercial CNC with a maintenance contract, you are going to need skill in electronics, machining and programming. Coming in cold never works without those skills. Better add a good wallet.

Merry Xmas, & Happy New Year
Roger