PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Ingots down to size

ForgeOwl
17th Apr 2021, 07:40 PM
I bought 7kg of Bronze (3% silicone) recently. It arrived as a single ingot. It's far too large to fit any of my crucibles, so I need to cut it somehow. It's too thick to saw by hand. My only other cutting tools are a Dremel (too small) and an angle grinder (which I've never used). Do you think I would be able to cut it with the grinder? The ingot is quite thick and I'm concerned about being able to cut deep enough, safely, and minimising waste.

What are the usual methods of cutting ingots? I'm having a hard time finding any information about this. I don't have the money to go out and buy an expensive machine that would have no use to me beyond this one purpose, but I'm open to other solutions.

BobL
17th Apr 2021, 08:19 PM
7kg of bronze is about 1000 cubic cm
If it was a cube it would be 10 x 10 x 10 cm or 4 x 4 x 4 inches which is not that big

If it was 4 x 8 inches then it would be 2" thick.
Sounds like a job for a metal bandsaw but it would not be impossible to cut with a hand hack saw with a brand new blade.

It could also be cut with a woodwork table saw with a negative raked cutting blade but if the cut was through 10 x 10 cm section you would lose 30 cc of bronze swarf in that cut

Exactly what shape is it?

ForgeOwl
17th Apr 2021, 08:27 PM
Exactly what shape is it?

8x6x26cm and shaped a bit like a toblerone with a flat top.

BobL
17th Apr 2021, 08:44 PM
8x6x26cm and shaped a bit like a toblerone with a flat top.

If it was triangular with an 8cm base and a 6cm heigh then the volume would be 1/2base x height or 4 x 6 x 26 = 624 cc x 7.6 g/cc = 4.7 kg
If it was fully rectangular is would be 6 x 8 x 26 = 1248 cc and would be 9.4 kg so your 7 kg sounds correct.

If it was me and I had nothing else I would use a hacksaw a a bit of patience - get a new blade.

If you want to spend minimum $ and have a friend with a wood work table saw spend $50 of a metal cutting blade (like I said before you will wast a fair bit as those blades have a wide kerf)

Thin cutting wheel in an angle grinder might just gum up - worth a try though.

You need a frown with a metal working bandsaw (WW bandsaw will be too fast).

.RC.
17th Apr 2021, 09:36 PM
Maybe cut through a bit with a hacksaw and use a cold chisel.

Jekyll and Hyde
17th Apr 2021, 11:56 PM
Thin cutting wheel in an angle grinder might just gum up - worth a try though.

Not really played much with bronze, but I'd imagine using a 1mm thick cutoff disc and periodically giving the disc a good rub with a candle would allow you to get through that size fairly quick and easy. Works well for aluminium at least.

Commander_Keen
18th Apr 2021, 10:30 AM
It's not too thick to cut by hand.
Use a hacksaw with plenty of smoko/stubby breaks.

Sparksy
18th Apr 2021, 11:12 AM
What about a sharpened chisel like a brickies bolster and a heavy gympie hammer on a solid base like a anvil . Bronze is fairly brittle so may break up.

BobL
18th Apr 2021, 11:29 AM
Sharp edge and a press might also work.

OxxAndBert
19th Apr 2021, 04:58 PM
Drill a line of holes across it and then smack it with a FBH.
You can keep the swarf so no wastage.

Steve

Harry72
24th Apr 2021, 01:29 AM
Take to it with an axe:q

ForgeOwl
25th Apr 2021, 10:17 PM
Managed to cut it into four pieces. A hacksaw did the job. It took around an hour of sawing for each cut. I have a nice pot of bronze powder to show for it. Enough for a small resin cold cast.

Commander_Keen
26th Apr 2021, 07:51 AM
An hour a cut?
But how many stubbies?