PDA

View Full Version : First Test of a DIY Steam Turbine running off a 4" Copper MSM Boiler.

Jim Ferrous
17th Dec 2020, 11:32 AM
First Test of a DIY Steam Turbine running off a 4" Copper MSM Boiler.

https://youtu.be/dAtLPlYfpyA

Mk1_Oz
17th Dec 2020, 01:08 PM
I was blown away with the video's intro before it even got to the turbine!

It appears to be blowing steam against a vane or paddle? I wonder what sort of torque it produces and whether it can start spinning with a load on the turbine. Would love to know what RPM that was running at!

Nice work.

Jim Ferrous
17th Dec 2020, 01:56 PM
I was blown away with the video's intro before it even got to the turbine!

It appears to be blowing steam against a vane or paddle? I wonder what sort of torque it produces and whether it can start spinning with a load on the turbine. Would love to know what RPM that was running at!

Nice work.

Thanks, I forgot to take pics as I built it, just got too immersed. A friend made me up that Youtube intro.

Its pretty simple inside, I made the vanes out of quite thick copper sheet and they are very heavily silver brazed into place on the brass section to with stand the force on them. I think I might have to invest in one of those el cheapo digital tachometers on eBay as I would like to know the rpm's.
Hooked it up a little while ago to a small DIY genny and it lit up a gang of light bulbs without a problem.

Abratool
18th Dec 2020, 09:56 AM
Thanks, I forgot to take pics as I built it, just got too immersed. A friend made me up that Youtube intro.

Its pretty simple inside, I made the vanes out of quite thick copper sheet and they are very heavily silver brazed into place on the brass section to with stand the force on them. I think I might have to invest in one of those el cheapo digital tachometers on eBay as I would like to know the rpm's.
Hooked it up a little while ago to a small DIY genny and it lit up a gang of light bulbs without a problem.

Just interested in what bearings were used in the turbine?
Bruce

Jim Ferrous
18th Dec 2020, 10:51 AM
Just interested in what bearings were used in the turbine?
Bruce

Just some normal run of the mill flanged bearings, nothing special.