PDA

View Full Version : Brass tip in Grubscrew !

BaronJ
14th Dec 2020, 06:40 AM
Hi Guys,

Just passing on a tip given to me by Kryn.

A tip I picked sometime ago, was to drill the end of the grub screw and place the little brass screws from electrical fittings in, so they don't bite into the shaft, as even without serrations, they still bite into it. DAMHIKT.:doh:

Drill the hole slightly smaller than the shaft of the screw and hammer them in.

Kryn

Thanks Kryn

jack620
15th Dec 2020, 11:34 AM
Another method I've seen, but not tried, is to grind a nice clean flat on the tip of the grub screw then braze a big blob of bronze onto the screw. Then turn the blob down to something more pretty.

Gavin Newman
15th Dec 2020, 01:50 PM
Another method I've seen, but not tried, is to grind a nice clean flat on the tip of the grub screw then braze a big blob of bronze onto the screw. Then turn the blob down to something more pretty.

This works well, especially using TIG brazing as the control over the size of the deposit is excellent. With practice you can get it such that no final machining is required.

franco
16th Dec 2020, 03:25 AM

I have often done this - not a big blob though - only a small amount. If the screw is long enough I screw an old button die or die nut onto the screw first. Then when you unscrew the die it cuts a perfectly aligned thread in the bronze, and no further machining is usually required.

Frank.

OxxAndBert
6th Feb 2021, 02:30 PM
Tried the TIG and button die method today and it worked well.

I also put the button die in a handle and used the earth clamp to hold it to the table which made it really easy to get it in a good position, and great earth contact.

I forgot to grab a photo of the die and handle setup but here is the end result.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210206/b694e4046e29e891fce70dd77cc49eb4.jpg

Steve