PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive for Vintage car

nadroj
21st Oct 2020, 10:43 PM
My friend Warwick sent me some photos that I thought might be of interest here.
They show how he used his Bridgeport mill to do some tests on his Laycock OD unit, attached to the Vauxhall's gearbox.
The mill provides the rotating drive, with the table handy for mounting it all onto.

The Vauxhall benefits from this addition, because it has a replacement cylinder head that makes more power.
The Bridgeport was much used to machine the new head from a raw casting.

Chris Parks
22nd Oct 2020, 12:40 AM
I did a fair bit of work on Laycock OD's when I owned a series of Triumph sedans as they were not a standard fit in Oz. We eventually fitted one to the back of a Borg Warner 3 speed auto transmission in a Triumph powered by a P76 V8 with Buick heads which went rather hard. I always wondered what happened to that car after it was sold.

franco
22nd Oct 2020, 01:21 PM
FWIW if anybody is interested there is a thread going on the VCCA forum about fitting a Laycock overdrive to a 1926 Chevrolet, (presumably) truck - lipstick on a pig? The trucks were very low geared though, so the mod might be useful to increase road speed on rallies etc. I suspect the 2 wheel brakes would then become a problem with the increased speed available! Apparently this conversion has been done successfully several times before.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/448411/overdrive-installers.html#Post448411

As a matter of interest, what model Vauxhall is it? Many years ago a friend owned an OE 30/98, a lovely car, but it had been driven into the ground.

Frank.

nadroj
22nd Oct 2020, 08:40 PM
As a matter of interest, what model Vauxhall is it? Many years ago a friend owned an OE 30/98, a lovely car, but it had been driven into the ground.

Frank.

Warwick's is also a 30/98, with a Velox touring body, 1926 model.
It was quite sporty in its day, capable of 100 MPH, and is in stunning condition today.