PDA

View Full Version : How do you browse this forum?

Groggy
19th Aug 2005, 11:46 PM
I'm looking for hints as to how to best browse the forum. At present I usually sit in the "New Posts" page and occasionally drop to "User CP" to watch subscribed threads. Every now and again I'll pop into the "Quicklinks-> Who's Online" to see who's where.

Is there a better way to scan other than hitting F5 or "New Posts" all the time?

Wongo
19th Aug 2005, 11:55 PM
I do exactly the same. :cool:

Stuart
19th Aug 2005, 11:56 PM
If I take up smoking, then give it up immediately, how much do I save? More importantly, what can I buy?

WRT Surfing- I do the same, but I'm also not sure if it is the best. Even using the new posts, I seem to still miss posts, but don't know why.

zenwood
20th Aug 2005, 12:07 AM
In Firefox, I go into subscribed threads, then open the lot of 'em in new tabs. Then check out each tab and close 'em up as I finish. Then check out the New Posts the same way. Thanks to ndru at the Adelaide meet and Greet for the idea of using tabs this way.

Someone said there was a way to open up "todays posts". Anyone know if that's possible?

Groggy
20th Aug 2005, 12:16 AM
In Firefox, I go into subscribed threads, then open the lot of 'em in new tabs. Then check out each tab and close 'em up as I finish. Then check out the New Posts the same way.
In Firefox I use the CTRL-click a lot. Usually I'll go to New Posts and CTRL-Click most items, then browse the tabs (having two monitors and broadband allows a shedload of tabs to be open).

Wongo
20th Aug 2005, 02:30 AM
I was the only member on the forum the other day. It was about 2-3am in Oz and it was weird. It is like talking to myself and making myself laugh (Not that I am not very good at it :D ).

How you ever been the only registered member on the forum?

zenwood
20th Aug 2005, 08:42 AM
How you ever been the only registered member on the forum?Don't think so, but I sometimes follow people around: "ah, there's Wongo, what's he lookin' at? ... hmm ... click!

Jack E
20th Aug 2005, 08:46 AM
I use this link which gives you the posts for the last 24 hours

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/search.php?do=getdaily

I think it was posted by Cliff.

Cheers, Jack.

zenwood
20th Aug 2005, 09:25 AM
I use this link which gives you the posts for the last 24 hours...

Great stuff Jack. Any more golden eggs like that around that we should know about? E.g. what about getting all the posts since we last logged on? All posts in the last x hours, etc...

Jack E
20th Aug 2005, 09:33 AM
Not that I know of but I am a computer numpty :)

Hopefully somebody else will have some good ones.

Wood Butcher
21st Aug 2005, 01:46 PM
I generally browse in the same way. I knew that firefox had tabs, but thanks for the ctrl-click hint.

Rowan

duckman
21st Aug 2005, 02:05 PM
I generally browse in the same way. I knew that firefox had tabs, but thanks for the ctrl-click hint.

Rowan

If you have a 3 button mouse or if your mouse has a scroll wheel then the wheel should serve as a button in addition to providing the 'wheel' function, you can just click that 3rd button in Firefox when the cursor is over a url and the page will then open in a new tab. :cool:

Saves a keystroke and you can surf with just one hand. :D :D

HTH,

Mark.

Groggy
21st Aug 2005, 02:23 PM
<table border="1" height="533" width="460"> <thead><tr><th>Command</th> <th>Firefox</th> <th>Internet Explorer</th> <th>Opera</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td>Back</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Scroll Down</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Scroll Down</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Scroll Down</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Close Tab</td> <td>Middle-click on Tab</td> <td>
</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Left-click</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Decrease Text Size</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Scroll up</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Scroll up</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Scroll up</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Forward</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Scroll up</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Scroll up</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Scroll up</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Increase Text Size</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Scroll down</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Scroll down</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Scroll down</td> </tr> <tr> <td>New Tab</td> <td>Double-Click on Tab Bar</td> <td>
</td> <td>Double-Click on Tab Bar</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Open in Background Tab</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+Left-click
Middle-click</td> <td>
</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+<kbd>Shift</kbd>+Left-click
Middle-click</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Open in Foreground Tab</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Ctrl</kbd><kbd class="mac">Cmd</kbd>+<kbd>Shift</kbd>+Left-click
<kbd>Shift</kbd>+ Middle-click</td> <td>
</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Left-click</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Open in New Window</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Left-click</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Left-click</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="unix"> <td>Paste URL and Go</td> <td>Middle-click on Tab</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Reload (override cache)</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Reload button</td> <td><kbd>Shift</kbd>+Reload button</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Save Page As</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Alt</kbd><kbd class="mac">Opt</kbd>+Left-click</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Scroll line by line</td> <td><kbd class="noMac">Alt</kbd><kbd class="mac">Opt</kbd>+Scroll</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

craigb
21st Aug 2005, 05:59 PM
How you ever been the only registered member on the forum?

Nope. So it was just you and the lurkers huh? :)

zenwood
22nd Aug 2005, 12:02 AM
And for all the Mac users out there, option-apple-click on a link to open it in a new tab, bypassing the pop-up menu.

Groggy
28th Aug 2005, 12:05 PM
In case there is anyone else that browses occasionally with a PDA, here are some set up ideas I've found useful.

1. Active avatars make the screen jump around while they are loading, you can turn them off.

2. Avatars take up valuable screen space. If you go to User panel/options and scroll through the list you can turn them off.

3. Signatures take up more screen real estate. Go to the same place as above and turn off signatures too.

These tips make browsing and posting quite achievable with a PDA setup for wireless.

Sturdee
28th Aug 2005, 12:40 PM
1. Active avatars make the screen jump around while they are loading, you can turn them off.

I find the animated avatars annoying, and with the increased use of them I turned the avatars off a while ago. Now they don't annoy me. :D :D :D

However sometimes I wonder what you guys are talking about?

Peter.

simplicio
29th Aug 2005, 01:17 PM
I use Firefox's Mouse Gestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Navigation&numpg=10&id=39) extension so I rarely have to use the keyboard when browsing the forum.

You navigate using your mouse to 'draw' the action you want. For example, I right-click drag up through a link to open it in a new tab, then drag down anywhere on the window to close the tab (my custom setting - I think the default is to drag right-left-right as though you were rubbing it out).

You can quickly increase the text size by 'slashing' from top-left to bottom-right (the reverse shrinks the text again). Great when I don't have my specs with me.