PDA

View Full Version : Little gizmos with 20° per side taper

bob ward
24th May 2016, 11:11 PM
I'm making a heap of little gizmos on the lathe that have a 20° per side taper, 9 passes per item - cranking the compound with the little handles is going to get old quickly.

Because the compound is set at 20° I have room to install a decent size handle for the duration of the job.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/sirrobertthegood/IMG_0193_zpsr9xhlgeu.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/sirrobertthegood/media/IMG_0193_zpsr9xhlgeu.jpg.html)

KBs PensNmore
25th May 2016, 12:02 AM
Nice one Bob. I made a fairly simple taper turning attachment, that is micro adjustable. Can send you a copy if you like.
Regards
Kryn

steamingbill
25th May 2016, 08:51 AM
Nice one Bob. I made a fairly simple taper turning attachment, that is micro adjustable. Can send you a copy if you like.
Regards
Kryn

Hey Kryn,

I would be interested in seeing your taper jig please.

Bill

KBs PensNmore
25th May 2016, 09:59 AM
Hi Bob,
Here it is
Regards
Kryn

steamingbill
25th May 2016, 10:25 AM
Hi Bob,
Here it is
Regards
Kryn

Kryn,

Thanks for the photo.

Am curious about the fine adjust - did you make a wormscrew onto some involute teeth at the end of the flat bit or is it a simpler mechanism ? ie a normal threaded bolt onto a matching (curved ?) threaded section in the end of the flat bar ?

........ and the other post that has just disappeared .... did you make your own collet chuck by setting up parallel to an ER collet ?

Bill

KBs PensNmore
25th May 2016, 06:22 PM
Hi Bill,
You're right, the fine adjustment is a piece of 6mm allthread, turned down to 5mm thread on one of the ends, and 5mm on the other to run in a hole as a support. The curved end was threaded using a 6mm tap. All the instructions are in the magazine for it. Can snail mail copies of it to anyone who would like one. Sorry dunno how to scan and email it.
Yes the post that disappeared, I took off as it wasn't really relevant to this thread, was for making an ER25 collet chuck for my POS C2 mini lathe, I taper turned the inside then ground it with the Dremel flex shaft mounted in the toolholder. Turned out very nicely I thought. Did post it here somewhere.
Kryn

wm460
26th May 2016, 06:56 PM
All the instructions are in the magazine for it. Can snail mail copies of it to anyone who would like one. Sorry dunno how to scan and email it.

Kryn

I scanned the the copy that Kryn sent me , I can email it to you.

bob ward
27th May 2016, 07:06 AM
Regards
Kryn

Thanks for your kind offer. Your photos and the discussion following explain it all nicely, its a clever idea. I can see myself using it for single pointing tapered pipe threads.

wm460
28th May 2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your kind offer. Your photos and the discussion following explain it all nicely, its a clever idea. I can see myself using it for single pointing tapered pipe threads.

If you or any one else want the plans, let me know and I will email them to you.