PDA

View Full Version : Colour coding stuff to find it quicker.

BobL
2nd Jun 2019, 08:08 PM
This one is somewhat trivial but it saves me time every now and then.

Do you have a row or bunch of things that ball look similar but you have pick up and look closely at almost all of them to find the right one?

The red heat shrink tells me they are centre punches as opposed to nail punches or drift punches.

Here's another slightly different case
White heat shrink in my shed means 6mm or 1/4"

Just colour coding one size or two in a selection also you work out which way to go up or down in size
Usually its easy to tell the 1/4" bit as it's shorter than the others

However, in what I'm calling my short set (still building up the set) the length could be anything

Its a pity heat shrink won't go over spanners and then shrink down enough to hold on, I am forever looking for the one to use on a certain thing.

KBs PensNmore
2nd Jun 2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks for those tips Bob:2tsup:
In regard to the spanner for a certain job, could you wrap a bit of coloured electrical tape and then some CA over the join, to keep it there?
Kryn

jackaroo
2nd Jun 2019, 09:54 PM
Hi jackaroo, thanks for posting the photos.
How did you make the recess in the jaws?

Michael.

Hi Michael,

I did it with the toolpost grinder (homemade from the old wood router) then carbide insert to do the final pass.

Regards,
Trong

eskimo
5th Jun 2019, 10:35 AM
For me the workshop has to be nice place to be. That means heating in Melbourne and a source of good quality audio. I love music, so an old tranny (radio, not person) won't cut it. So I built a pair of nice speakers and an amp. I'll often go out to the workshop with a cup of tea and just listen to music while I clean up. You don't have to be making stuff.

that sounds like my type of workshop:)...but alas...I need more room to have it clean and tidy....:-

shedhappens
5th Jun 2019, 12:36 PM
This one is somewhat trivial but it saves me time every now and then.

Do you have a row or bunch of things that ball look similar but you have pick up and look closely at almost all of them to find the right one?

The red heat shrink tells me they are centre punches as opposed to nail punches or drift punches.

No its not trivial Bob, I developed a habit of putting my most commonly used sockets back where they go upside down, especially helpfull with the 1/4" drive sockets.