PDA

View Full Version : Aldi LED BBQ light

bob ward
13th Oct 2019, 08:53 PM
From time to time, like most on here I suspect, I need to alter the head of a hex head bolt or cap screw. The easiest method I've found of holding the bolt is to grab it by the threads in an ER collet, it doesn't damage the threads and there is no slippage.
In the photos you see a round ER32 collet block in the 3 jaw chuck, and I'm reducing the head of a stainless steel 3/8" countersunk cap screw.

adbuch
13th Oct 2019, 09:11 PM
I have grabbed it with a nice 3 jaw chuck and it worked fine for me. You method looks more precise.
David

Michael G
13th Oct 2019, 09:35 PM
I think it depends on the chuck (and the thread). My main 3 jaw has aggressive serrations on it so that half the time the screw turns in it like a nut.

Michael

BaronJ
14th Oct 2019, 02:06 AM
Hi Guys,

A trick I often use is to put the screw in a split die and grip the die in the chuck. I used the same method to drill oil holes in M6 CSK hex screws recently.

kwijibo99
14th Oct 2019, 10:03 AM
Another quick and dirty method is to cut a matching nut along it's length, screw this onto the bolt you need to turn and clamp onto the nut in the three jaw. The slit allows the nut to act a bit like a collet. When you're done, chuck the nut in a box for next time and you end up with a bit of a collection.
Cheers,
Greg.