PDA

View Full Version : Garden edge

Snapey
28th Mar 2020, 11:39 PM
This little tip has nothing to do with metalwork except I'm using aluminium as a base. Admin please delete if inappropriate.

My landscaper son suggested using pavers as a garden edge for a new project and promised to do the job but he's super busy and can't do it for a while ... but I want it now.

I thought there had to be easier ways of laying pavers than the traditional concrete footings & cement so why not aluminium channel to sit them in? Luckily I have a friend with the right gear so we cut and folded seven 2400mm aluminium channels. All that's needed now is a 50mm deep channel in the grass for the aluminium to sit. The bends I cut with an angle grinder and riveted to the required angle then it's just a matter of placing the pavers in the channel. Result ... perfectly straight edges and even height tops. Pack the dirt on both sides and it's finished.

It's not the usual method but it's easy to do and looks professional. The only thing I didn't do and probably should have was to put some drainage holes in the channel. How long the aluminium lasts underground or whether the levels rapidly deteriorate I don't know but for now I love the result.

KBs PensNmore
28th Mar 2020, 11:47 PM
You might start a new trend. Find out if Bunnings will buy them from you?
Kryn

BaronJ
29th Mar 2020, 03:32 AM
Hi Snapey,

A very innovative solution ! I like that Idea and I sure that my wife would too.

Briangoldcoast
29th Mar 2020, 08:45 AM
Brilliant!!

Pete O
30th Mar 2020, 09:14 AM
Get thee to the patent office. That would sell.

BobL
30th Mar 2020, 10:28 AM
Great idea but I'm thinking how an edger blade will go whacking up against the side of the Al channel? Might be a case for whipper snipper only?

Snapey
30th Mar 2020, 01:34 PM
Great idea but I'm thinking how an edger blade will go whacking up against the side of the Al channel? Might be a case for whipper snipper only?

A whipper snipper is all I'll be using so the aluminium doesn't worry me. The channel I made has an edge height of 20mm so with a 50mm paver there's 30mm to play with. If I did produce them that edge height would come down to about 12mm. Is the depth of cut adjustable on an edger?

steamingbill
23rd Apr 2020, 11:55 PM
https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Adaptors-Sleeves/Morse-Taper-Open-Sleeve-with-Release-Nut

That release nut on the fat end looks like a clever idea - tighten it up and it pulls the taper out of the quill, No more bashing, Could be on all taper tools - wouldn't be difficult to DIY if you ever make any taper tools in future. Saw it discussed on the UK forum.

Bill

nigelpearson
24th Apr 2020, 09:31 AM
https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Adaptors-Sleeves/Morse-Taper-Open-Sleeve-with-Release-Nut

That release nut on the fat end looks like a clever idea - tighten it up and it pulls the taper out of the quill

Ausee has them: https://www.ausee.com.au/shop/item.aspx?itemid=4534

haven't tried one yet

KBs PensNmore
24th Apr 2020, 02:25 PM
That release nut on the fat end looks like a clever idea - tighten it up and it pulls the taper out of the quill, No more bashing, Could be on all taper tools - wouldn't be difficult to DIY if you ever make any taper tools in future. Saw it discussed on the UK forum.
Bill

Wonder how/if I can modify my DP to do that??? Be interesting to see if the idea becomes standard on drill presses in future, be a good selling point.
Kryn